Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovel shops

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Shovel shops

I can't help you with used ones, but if you ever need work done and he isn't booked solid then contact Mike Doenig at Mountain Motors in Windham New York. This guy is a genuis when it comes to shovels, pans, knuckles, flatties, and ironheads. He literally made a set of heads from two blocks of aluminum wit a D.R.O. milling machine. No CAD/CAM just D.R.O. The he cut a Holley dominator in half for an induction system. His motors run strong and survive.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:51 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“GUMBY,”

A couple of things:

How are those GMA brakes ? I am changing my front twin set up, I was going to go with PM, since I run one on the rear, but it’s 400 a piece front and I need two, are the GMA’s made well ? how is the braking ?

You mention “Donnie Smith” to me a god of Shovels, he is the man, but do you know what happen to his web site ? http://www.heavydutycycles.com/ it’s been down for a while, just a black leather with chains around it ?

“GUMBY,”

“The only thing they do not like, is pounding on them, as in the back of the pack where you have to run 90 to catch the bikes in front. They just don't like it, period.”

That is the one problem I use to have, now TC’s have to catch me : - ) you said your planning on running a S&S 93" kit, damn good choice, I don’t know much about them, but from S&S I know you will be pleased, I run a complete S&S 93” shovel that went in almost a year ago next month, I choose the low compression 93” I figured I was in it for the long haul and with todays, pi$$ they call gas, I didn’t want any problems running that corn crap.

To cut it short I fear no stage 1 hd out there, with 82 rated hp and backed up with a baker 6 speed, I only go in the back if I want too : - ))))

Take care and good luck with the 93 kit ! (damn good choice)

cj

[IMG]local://upfiles/16813/023451A2357D4939865E8D0AED2F20A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2008, 07:53 PM
mrbarbque
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been re-doing a shovel this year and I have had to learn alot... about the works myself due to the lack of GOOD shovel mechanics. It will go on the market later: keep in touch when you are ready. This one is all done.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52018/A488D2633F2A42B19E967F421A773D78.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JohnB445

Hi aal I don't know of any. You may want to add Walnecks.com to your list, if you

don't already have it. I requested a search before on the HD web site. Don't leave

your phone number. I had dealers from lower Michigan to upper West Virginia all

calling to sell me a new bike.

I did a pretty bad job describing what I like about shovels on your last post.

I mentioned this to some friends at lunch. One is an HD mech and 2 interesting

points came up. Older engines are based on a tractor design. The older HD engines

have a larger flywheel. This is why they seem different, and chug along.

I don't know if these are true facts, but thought I would pass them along.

Good luck finding a decent shovel.
tell em a shovelhead ain't no FUKN tractor. the traditional Ta-Thump Da-DA thump thump is because when the front piston is TDC the rear is about 13 degrees before TDC.so it is on its way up and the dual fire stock coil is shootin the spark causing the piston to literally fight to get to the top. tell em to put a straight pipe on the tractor and plow the field !!!!

anyway...... the shovelhead ain't no tractor engine. that is funny. hahaha

Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never seen a V Twin tractor! Maybe your on to something!

If you know of any biker bars or shops check with them and the bulletin boards and e bay may give you some results and looks like you may have some to check out from members hear, good luck and let us know how it goes.
e bay --Ive seen some pretty good deals but they never seem to be close by.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:04 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may want to look here on the bike for sale category. I've seen a couple outstanding shovels with eye popping prices(meaning the prices werevery reasonable). Also Craigslist for your area or how ever far you may be willing to travel.