Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1967 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:32 PM
SD_Rider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 FLH

Just found this forum...and I'm the first post in 2008 in the Shovelhead forums!!!

I'm here looking for information and maintenance tips. I've inherited my Dad's Harley and hope to keep her on the road for a long time to come.

I think he told me it was a 71 front end with a 73 rear? (or vice versa?)
Said he wanted rear disks was the main reason for changing.

My dad was a bit shorter than me, so I know I have to make some small changes.

TODO list:
-New handlebar
-New handlebar bushings
-Fix turn signals (they aren't hooked up)

-general maintenance (change oil and filter)

I've had it out around town, but still haven't the confidence in her to ride 20 miles to work and back....besides...I still have to get it reg'd here in CA.

Oh...and I know I have to get a different helmet....

Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 PM
SD_Rider
Novice
Default RE: 1969 FLH

Forgot to mention...
I'm currently having trouble with tuning the carb. I'm not sure if it is the change to CA gas or altitude or what...

My dad had Champion plugs in. I put in a set of NGKs...that's what was in stock at the bike shop.

Warmed up, from a red light, I have to rev to take off, or it will backfire out the carb and die.

Suggestions?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: SD_Rider

Forgot to mention...
I'm currently having trouble with tuning the carb. I'm not sure if it is the change to CA gas or altitude or what...

My dad had Champion plugs in. I put in a set of NGKs...that's what was in stock at the bike shop.

Warmed up, from a red light, I have to rev to take off, or it will backfire out the carb and die.

Suggestions?
If the bike has been sitting the carb will need cleaned or rebuilt. If there is trash in the carb, you will never be able to tune it no matter what you do. It may need rejeted to a larger jet also.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Grandpa56
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe the bike in your pictures is an FX, not an FL. It is also much newer than a 69 as FX did not come out till 71. The title of your post is 1969 FLH. The carb advice posted above is straight up. You will never get it right with gunk in it. Post more info if you can.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Grandpa56
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You might not want to ride it anymore till you get a derby cover on it. (big hole in left side of case) If the chain oiler is still intact, it is not vacume tight and the oiling system can not scavengage out the oil in the primary case. The older bikes have a dry clutch and when the oil in the primary gets to the level of the clutch, instant no more clutch. I learned this the hard way after replacing my primary cover due to damage and did not vacume test it first. Double disk brakes were a later option on the FX as was the alloy wheels and tubeless tires. Spoke wheels were the norm. The brackets on the back were for hard bags that were not used on the FX and your rear fender is from a FL. The rear shocks are FX because of the exposed springs, FL had chrome covers over the springs. A lot of these parts were interchangable between the two models. I have FL shocks and hard bags on my FX.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49674/A023266364C24CA8BC19D68C80AE7C44.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/49674/4527CB857F8E419893E92B5B82144D6F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2008, 11:26 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Likely an FL with a later FX front end. FL rear fender, FL dash, looks like an FL exhaust, forward controls...

Those handlebars look like they're putting your wrists at a really uncomfortable angle. You could try loosening the handlebar clamp a little and straightening them up a bunch - might make it a bit more comfy to ride till you change bars.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:21 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

SD Rider, might want to think about rubber seals for intake manifold. They dry out and crack and can easily cause problems that you may think are tuning problems when they are air leaks that will not let you tune the carb properly

Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
SD_Rider
Novice

It's definitely an FLH Frame and engine.
Probably an FX rear and maybe front. I have a note written down from when we were talking about it, but I can't seem to find it.

My dad always told me that he took what he considered the best parts from the different years and modded his FLH.

Grandpa - I will look for a cover in my boxes of parts. I'm still trying to organize and catalog them. I have the FL hardbags as well.

Back in 88/89...not sure of the specific year, my dad was working on his (then mostly stock) 67 carb and gas tank. The water heater kicked on and ignited the fumes in the basement. Practically burned the house down and the harley was scorched and damaged.
My dad and his friend, Bobby Hoh (pronounced "ho"....very popular in the Harley performance engine scene) Rebuilt the bike, adding the rear and front disk and FX suspension.

cripula - That's how my dad rode it. I have straightened them up, but I think they're bent....I'm going to get a new set and need to replace the bushings as well.

panz4ever - thanks. I'll look into it.

I'm still looking for a decent shop to order parts close to me. I saw one in El Cajon weekend before last, but it was a Sunday and they were closed....have to try to check them out....might try this Saturday if I get the chance.

Another question: My dad replaced the dipstick in the oil tank with a temp gauge.
How do I know that the oil is full?
What is the normal operating oil temp?

Thanks!

More pics.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 1,481 Posts

Yup...defintiely a slabside shovel (only produced from 66-69). Just needs a lttle TLC

Old 01-17-2008, 09:28 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SD_Rider

It's definitely an FLH Frame and engine.
Probably an FX rear and maybe front.
No maybe about it, that's a later FX narrow glide. I can't remember the exact year they went to dual discs, but pretty sure was around 77 on the original Low Rider...
So what are your plans for the bike? Clean it up and leave it as is as a tribute, restoration, or ?

Oh, I check the oil by pulling the cap and looking to see if the oil is near the bottom of the filler spout while the bike's on it's sidestand.

Quick Reply: 1967 FLH