Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Points vs Electronic

Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 PM
alwaysarider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Points vs Electronic

I have a 1980 shovel with electronic ignition. Was wondering what are the advantages or disadvantages of having one or the other - setting timing, reliability, periodic adjustment?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Hippy43
Banned
Default RE: Points vs Electronic

ORIGINAL: alwaysarider
I have a 1980 shovel with electronic ignition. Was wondering what are the advantages or disadvantages of having one or the other - setting timing, reliability, periodic adjustment?
I'm probably not the best person to answer this one but "Is there an advantage to running points?". I've run both and I've ALWAYS gone back to an electronic setup, usually a dyna S system...

My 2 cents

Old 02-22-2008, 09:36 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it runs good the way it is, leave it alone!! You wont gain much converting to points.And there is more maintenance involved with the points obviously. I took my electronic ignition (it wasn't working)out of my wide glide and installed points about 17 years ago. Now I am looking to reinstall electronic ignition. Gettin too old to keep bending over and workin on it when I should be sittin down and drinkin a cold one!!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:47 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to answer your questions... Yes points are very reliable, Yes there is perodic maintenance but not as often as some would make you think. I have ridden over 4000 miles without adjusting before. Probably needed it sooner but still ran and started ok. And once you have the tools (ya take em with you where ever you go) and havedone ita few times, it only takes a fews minutes-if ya got a kicker or learn to tune 'by ear'!! (I never used a timing light) Other wise it can be a bitch..
Nice thing is it is easy and cheap to convert. Your stock coil will work. But remember to keep all your take off stuff. you may want to put it back on later!!!
Ride Free!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:50 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There is no way, I'd take out a good working electronic iginition and replace them with points.

Of course, I wouldn't go the other way either. I still have points in my Ironhead. In 15 years, I have only replaced them once or twice. I rarely have to adjust them, either.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 PM
RKCustom2005
Intermediate

I use the dyna s system on my '79 shovel. It did go bad about 5 years after I put in. Put the same back in 5 years ago and no problems. I would never go to points if I had electronic ignition especially if you live in an areathat has a riding season (andthe bike sits for the winter).The short timeI had pointsthey gave me trouble.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:29 AM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put points in my 81 several years ago. I liked the idea of a purely mechanical system that you could just pack a couple spares and not worry, easy roadside repair. Black boxes frightened me - plus I like to kickstart my bike and most of the electronic ignitions didn't really work well for that. I understand now there are some that are designed to work with a kicker, and I'm sort of over my fear of black boxes now. I don't ride the shovel far enough to worry about catastrophic failures anymore anyway, so I wouldn't mind trying a good electronic again.

I still like points just fine though. I'm just getting lazier

Old 02-23-2008, 08:23 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: cripula

I put points in my 81 several years ago. I liked the idea of a purely mechanical system that you could just pack a couple spares and not worry, easy roadside repair. Black boxes frightened me - plus I like to kickstart my bike and most of the electronic ignitions didn't really work well for that. I understand now there are some that are designed to work with a kicker, and I'm sort of over my fear of black boxes now. I don't ride the shovel far enough to worry about catastrophic failures anymore anyway, so I wouldn't mind trying a good electronic again.

I still like points just fine though. I'm just getting lazier
The Crane HI-4 has a dip switch to switch from electric start to kick start. On the kick start mode, the ignition fires on the first TDC. In the electric start mode, it allows the motor to spin 3 times before it fires, to take strain off of the starter. It's all in what you want. Electrics go out all at once, leaving you stranded (unless you have a points setup in the saddlebag) The points setup goes out over a period of time (years)as the advance unit and points wear out.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:59 AM
RKCustom2005
Intermediate

Good point on the getting stranded with the electronic ignition when it goes bad - as that is what happened to me when the 1st Dyna S went bad.

I also never knew that electronic ignition was not good witha kick start. I've had to use the kick start most of the time I have had the bike because I have always had problems with the electric start (it finally works OK now, but rode the bike for 5 or 6 years with kick only and the electronic ignition). Interesting.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Spitshine
Novice

Take advantage of modern technology. Use whatever electronic system you want but always keep a set of breaker points as insurace in the breakdown kit right next to the spark plugs, tire patches, engine air pump, 5 minute epoxy, and bailing wire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Points vs Electronic