Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My 83' Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:58 AM
n28ive1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 83' Won't Start

I've fot a 1983 Superglide. I blew it up in 06' with a little over 76,000 miles. I completely rebuilt the bike down to the last nut and bolt. I decided to go kick start only as I had always been plauged withstarting issues.
The guy that built my engine has built several of them, and has had several bikes featured in Biker Mag. All of the bikes he has built were K/S only, and they all start within 1-3 kicks, except mine.
The insides are all S&S, running a Dave Mackie Cam, and a Velva Touch Lifter Kit. Also installed S&S roller Rockers and a Super B. The Ignition is a Zippers Thunderbolt.
Here is the problem. The bike doesn't want to start. Sometimes it will start between 1-3 kicks, but generally it is more like 20-30 kicks. Once the bike is good and warm, it generally starts on the first kick. I put the bike back on the road in late Oct. 07'. By December I had 2800 miles on her and two broken kickstarts. Sheared the key on the main shaft, and after that was repaired I broke the kick shaft and kick arm. The bike is in the shop now, and theowner, a reputed ShovelHead guru, says he has no idea what is wrong. I am leaning towards a faulty ignition, but so far am clueless.
Any suggestions?
This engine was an 80", and we stroked it out to 88" with dual plugged heads. Once it starts it runs like the wind, but.......

Old 03-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: My 83' Won't Start

Thats going to be a tough one to figure out with out hands on!
I would consider going back to electric start if for no other reason to save your knee. It took me a good year for my knee to heal after a starting issue with my old shovel head. At the time I though it was the hot set up to have kick only, not any more. even if the old electric start is temperamental it is still better that nothing.
good luck I feel for you on this I've been there done that!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:17 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: n28ive1

I've fot a 1983 Superglide. I blew it up in 06' with a little over 76,000 miles. I completely rebuilt the bike down to the last nut and bolt. I decided to go kick start only as I had always been plauged withstarting issues.
The guy that built my engine has built several of them, and has had several bikes featured in Biker Mag. All of the bikes he has built were K/S only, and they all start within 1-3 kicks, except mine.
The insides are all S&S, running a Dave Mackie Cam, and a Velva Touch Lifter Kit. Also installed S&S roller Rockers and a Super B. The Ignition is a Zippers Thunderbolt.
Here is the problem. The bike doesn't want to start. Sometimes it will start between 1-3 kicks, but generally it is more like 20-30 kicks. Once the bike is good and warm, it generally starts on the first kick. I put the bike back on the road in late Oct. 07'. By December I had 2800 miles on her and two broken kickstarts. Sheared the key on the main shaft, and after that was repaired I broke the kick shaft and kick arm. The bike is in the shop now, and theowner, a reputed ShovelHead guru, says he has no idea what is wrong. I am leaning towards a faulty ignition, but so far am clueless.
Any suggestions?
This engine was an 80", and we stroked it out to 88" with dual plugged heads. Once it starts it runs like the wind, but.......
huh......broken pinion keyway. had my '74 fxe shear the keyway then jam back in and lasted another week.

i am not real familar with the particular internal combo's....but obv. the shop knows what they are doing.

is this s&s super b new to you? you know they have a particular "cold" or "warm" or "hot" starting procedure and work on vacume only.(no squirt when you twist throttle). FWIW IMHO i think you would be better suited with a shorty super e.

and of course your battery is the best and is new and your cables are good-n-tight and etc. etc.

letus know how you are making out.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:05 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Try this With a super B ( no accelerator pump?) have someone put their hand directly over the carb throat (man made choke) Air cleaner off Duh! If this makes it start easier get an accelerator pump for the B carb or move to an S&S E

Old 03-02-2008, 11:13 AM
shrktooth
Cruiser

the super b is notorious for hard starting. they do not "squirt" gas like a standard type carb. the b works off the vacume from the intake and will never squirt when you twist the throttle.

this is one of the reasons why we added the thunderjets to the b models.

actually the kiss of death is to turn the throttle when starting. try like........ key off enrichner off full throttle....like 4-5 primer kicks.........then...if adjustable enrichner about 3/4 out if fixed then all the way up...... key on "no throttle" should fart to start on 1-2-3 kicks. this is a starting point when the engine is cold. again just my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 AM
n28ive1
6th Gear

I've gone through all of the starting procedures numerous times. I ended up installing an adjustable enrichener, and that helped some.
I may be pushing it a little with the colder weather we have been having. I know K/S shovels don't always agree with cold weather when it comes to starting.
I hadn't thought of a thunderjet, but I will ask the shop about it.
I am considering putting an electric start back on it, I left the harness intact for that. Problem is I installed a Rivera Primo Belt Drive for K/S only, hence no ring gear, so I have to purchase a new clutch hub plus a starter. Thanks For the input from all of you, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:50 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

Any suggestions?

n28ive1

Really don’t know crap on the S&S B carb, but you got some sound advice here on it, look the one thing I did to start my shovel in years past, (mostly in the Spring start-up) I was tired of hearing this motor trying to start up after sitting all winter long, after a few years of this crap, I took a short cut, after kicking a few through, to get things moving, I just sprayed 1 or 2 bursts of, 2 plus 2 or Gumout “carb cleaner” air cleaner off choke full open, then close to start (never use starting fluid) works every time, no wearing the engine parts out : - )
If you can’t get anything to start using carb cleaner, you have a much bigger problems !

"Velva Touch Lifter Kit,”

My buddy runs that set-up, nice, real nice !

“Once it starts it runs like the wind, but......."

By the sounds of the build, no doubt about that !!!

Good luck !

cj

Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 PM
n28ive1
6th Gear

I should have mentioned this, but it slipped my mind. Half the time I am kicking, the bike won't fart, burp, puke, or anything, then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, she starts. Once again once it is running, everything is fine.
The shop doesn't open till Tues., so I will be in touch with them about some of the suggestions here.
I might also mention that I built the bike myself, with the exception of the engine and the paint.
When I figure out how to post a pic I will. So far it tells me my files are to large.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 PM
shrktooth
Cruiser

I should have mentioned this, but it slipped my mind. Half the time I am kicking, the bike won't fart, burp, puke, or anything, then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, she starts. Once again once it is running, everything is fine.
The shop doesn't open till Tues., so I will be in touch with them about some of the suggestions here.
I might also mention that I built the bike myself, with the exception of the engine and the paint.
When I figure out how to post a pic I will. So far it tells me my files are to large.
go here http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htmand download this to re-size your pictures.

is this http://www.zippersperformance.com/ca...&prod=2036the ignition set-up you have? if so it looks like you can set it up on the laptop for optimum starting and performance. FWIW there is usually a kick or electric start mode for operation.

sounds like a knowledgeable shop and they can help troubleshoot the hard starting issue. besides hard starting you have no other issues? still might want to consider a newer style carb to keep up with all the performance upgrades you have done inside the engine.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard that the Super B, while a great carb should not be used on a kick only bike. That the Super E because of its pumper was more preferred. I am sure you must have great compression. Since you have the super B I would take the advice of the other poster and try squirting in some carb start and trying kicking it. Are you getting spark?

Quick Reply: My 83' Won't Start