Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Crane Electronic ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crane Electronic ignition

My '83 FL came with electronic ignition but the day it left me stranded I switched to P/C and have had it that way about 20 years. Recently someone suggested Cranes electronic ignition. Anyone out there have any experience/opinions about Cranes Electronic ignition? Its reliability? Longevity?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Like any electronic ignition they work great until they don’t, then you push. If you’ve used points for 20 years, how many times did they leave you stranded? Stick with a winner.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 AM
badinfluence63
Banned

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Like any electronic ignition they work great until they don’t, then you push. If you’ve used points for 20 years, how many times did they leave you stranded? Stick with a winner.
True what you say but those 20 years with P/C were not without there issues. I got 5 years of trouble free with MOCO electronic ignition was hoping Crane a trusted name would be even better.

Thanks for the input it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by badinfluence63; 08-08-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

I just researched a couple diff elex ignitions for my Evo. All signs pointed to Dyna S. Uses the old mechanical advance, and according to the majority of those I talked with, it beat a Crane hands down, especially as to reliability. For every guy with a Crane who said he liked it, 4 guys told me they had their Cranes crap out. Toss a set of points and a condenser in your road stash, and if the Dyna S craps you'll spend 15 minutes swapping it, and then go on riding.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Dyna S sounds like the 1979 FXS ignition, replaced in 1980. True it is easier to convert to points. All you need is the backing plate with points and condensor, Points type circuit breaker cam, wire to coil, regap the plugs, time the motor and away you go. If the problem wasn't the advance weights wearing or breaking springs that killed the electronic ignition. Sorry I don't like electronic ignitions. If you have to go to all the above trouble to convert it on the road why bother.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
swatsonv92
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crane electronic ignition

bad influence, for what its worth my brother has been using a crane (hi4 i think) on his 77 fxe for the last 8-9 years with no problems

Old 08-09-2008, 01:19 AM
badinfluence63
Banned

Heres the deal. I have had my '83 FL since new. Mad mileds on her now and only needed a top end over the years. Lately I been sinking mad money into her trying to get the reliability factor back into it. Who wants to be 800+miles from home and blam! Been there and don't like it. I even hitched hike home with my bike from the Ozarks to Ft. Riley one time and got rides all the way for both me and my bike and my pissed off GF at the time!

Lately I've been stranded on the road for about 45 minutes to hours due to various fixable on the spot electrical ignition issues. Replaced cracked coil,P/C, everything gapped right blah blah and get home. Then find out I have transmission issues now too. So bought a used low milage(12000miles) 2001 Ultra for a great price for long distance 2 up adventures with my wife. I will adress all mechanical issues with the '83 over the winter (because it has a warm place in my heart) in the mean time the 01 Ultra lets me enjoy the season.

P/C versus electronic ignition. I never heard of Crane motorcycle stuff so I really appreciate all the feed back, pro and con, on the matter and the referenced other options too.

Hopefully a picture of her will pop up?

Last edited by badinfluence63; 08-14-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:21 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

As I've said in previous posts, I've had a lot of experience with the HI-4. I still use it in my ironhead dragbike.
In the early years of the HI-4, Crane had some issues with heat, which killed the ignition. They worked that problem out about 5 or 6 years ago. The HI-4 I have in my dragster is 5 years old and going strong. I do have a back-up in the toolbox. (I don't trust anything 100%)
As far as the Dyna is concerned, I don't have any personnal experience with it, but I do know other racers have had failures on a regular basis over the years.
As with any electronic ignition, a weak battery will cause the ignition to start swapping cylinders, and generally acting like a bad ignition. So, when your ignition seems to be bad, check the battery or charging system first.
To me, a stock shovelhead is perfectly fine with points and condensors, and you can get them anywhere, cheap. A performance shovel really needs a single fire ignition, dual plugs, yada, yada.
Al

Old 08-12-2008, 06:16 AM
michiganlarry
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a Daytona Twin Tec electronic ignition in my wifes's 84 FLH shovel and its the best thing I have done to it. It starts like a dream and idles nicely. I understand the whole p/c thing and respect that position. For me the single fire electronic ignition was a no brainer. With a "non-mechanical" person as the primary rider on the bike, my goal was to make her classic as easy to operate as possible. If I were riding it on a daily basis and could hear what the bike was telling me then p/c would be fine. Just my .02.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crane

I have been running a Comp-u-Fire Elite 1 since 1998 and LOVE it! It gives me options that I use and has never left me stranded. ITs very easy to install and adjust for your riding style. I have made several trips over 1,000 miles and I have to say there is no other ignition I would go with.
But like everyone else says, points are a 15 minute swap....
Just a thought,
ShovelheadGreg