Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

71 FLH starter relay

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 09:18 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 71 FLH starter relay

I just converted my old mechanical starter relay to a later model (early 90's) relay. I wired it correctly and it works if the bike starts immediately. If I hafta use the starter more than 2 or 3 times the relay quits working. It will click but no go!! But, I can start it by shorting the starter sylenoid. Any ideas?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I,m guessing the amp draw on the old style starters is greater then the one piece starters after 1989 ? This might explain why one of my customs (80's vintage electric starter with new style starter relay) tends to kick out the electric start Maybe ! I see that Jireh cycles shows a start boost relay P/N 53-123 They claim less voltage drop etc I might have to try one of these This custom is single fire and a S&S 96 ci motor

Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

sqdealgeorge,
That relay (Jireh P/N 53-123) is for the ignition system to make sure it gets full voltage, not the starter motor. I have one on my bike and I am presently chasing an ignition problem...I'm lookin' real hard at that relay but I am not sure it is the problem. I though it was a good idea but it complicates the troubleshooting process when there is an intermittent problem. Of course, you know what a pain it is with any intermittent problem.
msgtarmor, I have not tried what you have done so I can't help you. Good luck.

Last edited by megawatt; 10-13-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:06 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

THANKS megawatt I just might try that relay Once the starter has engaged the clutch basket and starts spinning it the motor won't start until I release the starter button ?? I do have a kicker on this 4 speed It's a 2 kick bike It's open belt drive prim I've replaced the BDL clutch ring gear 3 times I think the after market inner prim cover and the 96 ci motor ( no comp release ) has something to do with it I do have a dyna single fire ign system on this bike I also have a 5 speed system ready to install when it finally pizzes me off I do like having the kicker

Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

sqdealgeorge,
I also am running a 96" engine (S&S crate engine) without compression releases. I am presently having a problem with my ignition momentarily shutting off, then back on so that the bike bucks, then backfires out the exhaust. It has done it twice on the freeway. when it starts doing it, it gets progressively worse over about 1/4 mile and I have to pull off the freeway and limp home keeping the engine under 2,000 rpm to minimize the number of times it bucks and backfires. I can see my tach drop to zero and then come right back up to whatever rpm I am at when it does its thing. The lights don't dim at all so it seems to be only in the ignition circuit. I need to rig up a voltmeter on the bike to monitor if it is the ignition boost relay coil losing power or if the relays ignition power contacts are popping open momentarily. I can't see any shorts in my wiring. I checked the coil against the readings of a brand new coil, it looks okay. I even heated up the coil with my daughters hairdryer but the readings didn't change. The handlebar stop/run switch and its wiring seem okay. Its got me stumped right now. I swapped the ignition module with a brand new spare I have after it did it the first time because Daytona TwinTec, thought it had failed, the bike ran good for a day (short hops around town) but when I got on the freeway five miles from home the next morning going to work, it did it again. Like I said though, I ain't sure its the relay...I can't make it do anything bad testing it in the garage. I really hope it is the relay or something associated with it (wiring) because I am about out of ideas.
msgtarmor,
Sorry about changing the subject in your thread. I hope you have figured out what is wrong with your starter circuit.

Last edited by megawatt; 10-13-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:36 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Megawatt just a thought what spark plug wires are you running (spiro wound) ? I ran into a problem years ago with Dyna ignitions and spiro wound wires Dyna finally came out and told the public not to run these wires The bikes would act up on the highways

Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

sqdealgeorge,
I am using Screamin' Eagle resistance plug wires.
Thanks anyway.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Tim Garry
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your bike run hot on the freeway? is something melting to cause the short then sealing itself as it cools so it does not do it when you are in the garage? Do everything you can to duplicate the freeway riding condition. DO you know anyone that has a dyno so you can strap it in and let it run with the meters on it until it starts to do what it does on the freeway.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:31 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Tim Garry, I have hijacked msgtarmors thread and I didn't mean to do that.
I intend to rig up a couple of test lights on a couple of points on the ignition system to see where the power is dropping out periodically. We shall see. I can't duplicate the problem in the garage or riding around the back streets by my home so I am going to try it out on the freeway.
I don't want to pay for a run on a dynomometer.
Thanks for the suggestions.