Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

fair price for '73 Shovelhead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:33 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fair price for '73 Shovelhead?

An old timer down the hill has a 1973 AMF Shovelhead for sale. He claims the bike has only 27,570 miles on it but, quite frankly, I suspect that the odometer is on its second time around. He's asking $10,200.00 for it. A collector's item he says. I think the bike has seen better days.

Given that I recall that the AMF days were dark ones for H-D, should I even be wasting my time talking to the geezer? I mean, I can get a nice Sportster for that price.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:20 PM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: fair price for '73 Shovelhead?

It wouldn't surprise me if it only has 27K on it. I wouldn't go as far as to call it a collector item. If the shovel is in good shape and runs good and has no problems and looks good and looks original, it might be worth 10K. If it is beat up and needs work and could use a paint job and clearly isn't stock and has a puddle of oil under the tranny, I would be more inclined to think 5-8K at best. It really depends on how badly you want it.

On a side note, I'd take a shovel over a sportster and there is nothing wrong with it being an AMF, IMO.

Good luck.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:26 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

Geezer?!! Geezer?!! I got yer geezer right here!

At least check the compression and maybe do a leakdown check on the motor. Look at the inside of the pipes. What does the thing look like?

$10k seems high, but that would depend on condition.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

The bike looks average. Nothing special. He's running straight pipes so it sounds cool. No smoke to speak of while it was running. Body will beed work. The gas tank has a cleft in it on the top. He says that he is planning to put a nice cover on it, I just dunno. And where do you find parts for something this old?

P.S. Geezers can be cool! At least that's what my boys say. "Dad, for a geezer, you're still pretty cool."

Old 04-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Shovelhead77
Cruiser

Sounds like it might be in decent shape, But I don't know about $10,000. Parts shouldn't be a problem, There are alot of vintage parts places out there, just have to find em. JP cycles is where I get most of my stuff, Good deals and fast shipping. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:00 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

What do you mean "cleft"? Does it have the 2-piece fatbobs? Or are you talking about a big dent? And parts are easy. J&P, V-Twin, Paughco, are a few places to start.

Offer $8,000 for it. That's about $1500 over KBB value for a '74 with average miles. Dicker from there.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:06 AM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the title & make sure it's titled as a 73 Harley. Then look at the VIN & make sure it matches what is on the bike. I've looked at a couple of shovels in the last six months and not a single one had a good clear title saying the bike was a harley.. Most were homebuilt...
$10,000 is high....

Old 04-09-2006, 10:11 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member

The gas tank has the two piece fatbobs. Two days ago the owner promised to show me the title so I can check it against the VIN but I'm still waiting. I seem to remember another thread on the forum that gave good advice re: matching VINs to the title. I still have a little research to do yet.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:39 AM
daryl71bus
Intermediate

Save you money, Buy a HONDA!! To say i`ve but more money than brains into my 79, is a gross understatement. And I`ll put anyone under that states it!!! Buy put the money into it till yeah bleed, it can still be worked on with going to jail according to the government! Good Luck & Happy Ridin`

Old 05-20-2006, 01:52 AM
1911shooter
Intermediate

I dont know what the market will bear in your necka' the woods but where I am from that is a 4,500 to 6,000 $ bike at the most. As for it being a collector's item it sounds like he thinks you do not have a clue. Show him a 5,000 bill (not a check but cash) and see what he does. That is exactly what I would do - and would If I were closer and you were not interested any more!

Quick Reply: fair price for '73 Shovelhead?