Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Carb or ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:56 PM
backwoodsdave
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carb or ?

Ok so I have this issue that's got me stumped at the moment, 84 fxsb, super e carb, 74/295 jets, points ign. hyd lifters, here's the problem, cold start, starts right up and idles good without the enricher open but smells a little rich to me, take it down the road and get it warmed up and let it idle at a stop or in the shop and it will randomly spit out the carb, sometimes it sneezes enough to kill the engine, only at idle, runs good down the road and pulls hard, I've static timed it few times to make sure it was on and also moved it around while riding the bike and it doesn't effect the problem at idle, also on my second set of intake rubber bands just to make sure, I have the red silicone bands on it now with no change in the problem, I haven't pressure tested the intake for leaks yet but have checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner, any ideas ?

Old 06-26-2018, 01:16 AM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,600 Likes on 652 Posts

hows the condition of the spark plugs? sounds like its rich.....mine needs the choke on at a cold start

Old 06-26-2018, 05:49 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

shouldn't affect idle, but 74 main is kinda large.
not sure about the rest of your carb settings.
Check again for intake leaks and turn accelerator pump off.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:04 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

while a agree the 74 main Might be to big he has been riding it and now he has a low speed lean issue

todays gas causes a film that film builds up inside the jets and even the carb body

if you remove it disassemble it and sonic clean the carb and the jetting - if at that point you find its choking rich at hi speed drop the main back to a 72

Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM
backwoodsdave
Novice

First, I appreciate all the replies so far, keep em coming, here's a little background on my bike, what I know and don't know as of today, I picked up the bike about a yr and a half ago knowing it had been setting for a few yrs, I did fire it up before buying it just to see it run btw, knew it had some leaks and clutch issues up front, owner was a straight up guy just didn't have a clue about shovels, no fault of his, when I got it home and in my shop I pulled the tanks, cleaned, and resealed, changed the oil, filter, adjusted the valves, plugs, pulled the super e and cleaned and rebuilt it, the carb was unsupported with a big *** bug catcher on it and the intake bands and clamps were mangled , fixed now, now that I could run it a while is when the spitting out the carb issue showed up, checked the usual suspects, intake leaks, pulled the carb again and checked jets etc, run my micro drills through them to make sure, originally had the factory hd electronic ign on it with no voes to be found, po had the timing pushed way up and pinging bad pulling me under a load, pushed the timing back and naturally dropped the power and pinging but didn't effect the spit at idle, fwiw I grounded the voes wire and it seemed to not effect the timing at all so I assumed an issue with the unit, I converted to points with correct coil etc, no change, checking the plugs after a hard run they don't too bad to me but the do look rich after idling for extended period but now fouled out I believe, now what I don't know is what cam, pistons etc are in the eng, the po said he had it rebuilt and they put a bigger cam in it, that worries me a little and I haven't looked in there yet to check it out, I will add that when hot even with the timing set back just enough to not ping on a hard pull it will kick back on the starter like a **** but I usually kick it over without it kicking back at me, also I have 110 psi on both cylinders, hot and dry, oil made no change on compression numbers, 110psi doesn't seem high to me but kicking it seems like it's pretty stout, maybe I'm just getting old though.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

unadjust the valves and pull the cam cover see what you have would be the first thing to do now

the 72 or even a 70 would be more like it if its around stock - quality cam and exhaust - air filter maybe a 68 main

Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,408 Likes on 879 Posts

how is the float level in the carb?

Old 06-26-2018, 09:51 PM
backwoodsdave
Novice

Installed a new float when I rebuilt the carb and set it per s&s instructions at about 1/8 below the bowl gasket, I have some push rod tube seals and a cone gasket I just haven't pulled the cone to peek in there yet.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:35 AM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Carb adjust

Originally Posted by backwoodsdave
Installed a new float when I rebuilt the carb and set it per s&s instructions at about 1/8 below the bowl gasket, I have some push rod tube seals and a cone gasket I just haven't pulled the cone to peek in there yet.
have you checked the squirters cough sounds little like starve fuel then gets to much. My G was that way kept adjusting tell works at all ranges. Good luck. Ride Safe. Wild Bill