Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Pix of your shovels....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:27 PM
hdshvlhd76
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The following users liked this post:
Rains2much (11-24-2023)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Rtlang
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

76 fxe

Attached Thumbnails Pix of your shovels....-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Dan_Lockwood
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The old beast is finally back on the road...

Well I finally got this beast back to running condition.

The bike had about 58k miles when I bought it and tore it down. I now have just over 6k miles on the rebuild.

I will say that on the first restore project, all I did was replace external gaskets and seals, no motor work. It ran great, but on a fun ride one the oil line feeding the head popped a seal and I lost all my oil. I noticed the oil light was on and pulled over on the freeway to see what was wrong. I filled back up with oil, but that was the beginning of the end for the rods and cylinders. A short time after that I pulled the motor and did the work that was needed. I had the lower end all rebuilt and then I added new reproduction stock 74" cylinders and pistons.

About 4 years ago I thought I had a bad rear exhaust flange leak, as I've had nothing but problems with the rear pipe leaking. When I tore into it I found I also had a blown rear head gasket. The head inserts were starting to pull down a bit so I got another rebuilt head that was in better shape and replaced it. No more exhaust leak.

I'm thinking about selling this as I have not really ridden it since I bought my '08 SERK 7 years ago and then I bought a new '09 SERG. I plated it a couple years, but never rode it.

Here are some pictures of the bike as of two Saturdays ago and I would like some opinions on what I might be able to get out of it.

Before I get started, I know from my searches that Shovelheads are terribly low on the market right now. I've seen some original AMF FLH's that look very nice and they're asking $7k to $8k. Way low in my mind, but they're only worth what people are willing to pay for them and right now, not much it appears.

I'm sure that if I find the right person, my mods to the FLH will be appealing to them as a cool old bike with a classic flare to it. I also have all the original takeoff stuff, fiberglass bags, king/queen seat, bat wing faring, all the old chrome and take off stuff along with the original aluminum spoke wheels. These parts are not pretty, but they're there.

I stripped the bike to the bare frame and had all the black parts powder coated. It has a new speedo, chrome nacelle, rear tail and turn lights, new wiring harness, new battery, new Barnett clutch with H/D springs, new primary chain, M-6 spring tensioner, new wire spoke wheels, new rotors front/rear, new Mustang touring seat 16"/12" with studs and Conchos, new Boss Bags saddle bags #42 all leather, new Boss Bags windshield bag, quick release Road King windshield and I think that's about it.

The last major ride I had done prior to the oil line leak and motor rebuild was when I trailered it to Sturgis. We stayed in Keystone with friends. I rode 1600 miles that week and all I did was wash it and ride two up. I will say that on the long mountain grade from Rapid City up to Keystone was a bear on this bike. Riding two up was fine as long as you hit the hill starting at around 65 mph. Any slower and it would not pull faster, so down shifting was necessary some times and with just the 4spd that was not pretty. This was in '08. In '10 I took my then new '08 SERK and oh what a difference that 110" and 6spd was from the Shovelhead stock 74".

Some may think that the two-tone repaint along with the bags and seat etc ruined the bike from an original standpoint, but it is what it is now and can't be easily changed back.

So here are the pictures and let me know what I "might" expect to get or a starting point for my asking price.

And last but least, the old blue in all his glory...

Thanks for taking the time to give it a look and let me know your opinions. I'm tough, I can take it.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

^^ Too pretty for me to even Ride!!!!
Damn Museum piece.
Great job...You are/should be, rightfully Proud!!!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Dan_Lockwood
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racepres
^^ Too pretty for me to even Ride!!!!
Damn Museum piece.
Great job...You are/should be, rightfully Proud!!!
Thanks, I am proud of the work I did, but I'd like someone else to be proud of their purchase...

I still enjoy riding it, but the wife does approve of the ride compared to my '09 SERG.

When I ride the '76, I'm in 4th by 35 mph and hunting for more gears. It's really different from the new Cruisedrive 6spd bikes. When I was in Sturgis in '08 I had the '76. I rode it for over 1500 miles while there. We stayed in Keystone and going from Rapid City up 16 to Keystone, if I wasn't going over 65 when I hit the big hills, it would just slow down. Downshifting into 3rd gear was always a pain because I was probably over revving then. I can see now how the 6 into 4 transmissions came about. I think this would be an awesome riding bike with a 6 speed to split the rpms up a bit more.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM
booboo0310
6th Gear
Default All stock 1979 FLHC

Gotta love these vintage Harley's that are not molested.

Only the battery and tires are not stock

Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 PM
booboo0310
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan_Lockwood
Well I finally got this beast back to running condition.

Before I get started, I know from my searches that Shovelheads are terribly low on the market right now. I've seen some original AMF FLH's that look very nice and they're asking $7k to $8k. Way low in my mind, but they're only worth what people are willing to pay for them and right now, not much it appears.

Thanks for taking the time to give it a look and let me know your opinions. I'm tough, I can take it.

Hey, good luck selling your shovel! I love em, but you like you said, they can't pull like the new ones.

Everyone's opinion is different when you customize a bike (like you did). Some may really like it, many won't. Getting your investment back will be very difficult. If you really want to sell it, you have to price it to sell and not look for getting your investment back. For example, when I look for a shovel that is not stock, all I care about is how sound it is mechanically (I don't care about the looks, seriously, I care about the motor).

As I get older, I kind of like the look of the 'uglier' ones (as long as it has a good motor). Rough paint, but a good runner.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Dan_Lockwood
Intermediate

Eddie, nice looking scoot too...

Mine is a'76 and all the items like bags, batwing are white. When did HD start painting all the glass parts to match the bike?

I agree, true shovelhead guys would probably prefer to have the original paint etc, but time will tell when I put it up for sale.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Luv my shovel
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

New wheels off, 2010 Fat boy,

IMG 2745

IMG 20121129 00064New O-ring chain and 47T Sprocket

Old 09-06-2014, 09:16 PM
dennisaa
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 FXE totally redone

After 8+ months and countless hours it is really finally done. S&S cases and an S&S 88 kit. Everything has changed except the apes, engine and frame. I did paint most of the frame but should have had it powder coated while the engine was out. Oh, well.
L8R, Maverick

Attached Thumbnails Pix of your shovels....-finallly-done-shovel.jpg   Pix of your shovels....-finally-done-shovel2.jpg   Pix of your shovels....-finally-done-shovel3.jpg   Pix of your shovels....-finally-done-shovel4.jpg   Pix of your shovels....-finally-done-shovel5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pix of your shovels....