Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1966 FLH Restoration Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
jarrette
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 FLH Restoration Project

My dad gave me his old Shovel and I really wanted to get it fixed up. So here we go. This is what I started with...

As you can see, there is a '65 panhead motor in it since the original motor was not running and needed a rebuild.
First things first, remove the engine and clean up the frame at the local car wash...

The motor was rebuilt by Ferguson V-Twin in San Antonio. Here is the result...

And the engine in it's rightful home...

I hand painted the frame with a paintbrush with a thick flat black rustoleum.
as you can see, the rear wheel needs help....

So here we go, new v-twin rim and spokes, let the lacing begin...

painted hub and drilled a hole for a grease zirt fitting (possibly a mistake? comments welcomed)

completed wheel trued and balanced with a new Avon Gangster tire to match the front

Old 01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
powaypete
Road Master

It feels good when you bring back to life a 'family heirloom' I've brought back to life old iron and it can be painful at times finding an old wrench when you have questions.

I know it's an original shovel, is the engine the original? If so, cool. (I like pans but everyone has thier own fancy). If not, still cool.

I've never put a grease fitting in the hub before because of sealed bearings. I would think the grease fitting will throw off the balancing of the wheel assembly.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 604 Likes on 307 Posts

i'm thinking the grease fitting will not cause you any trouble, but is probably unnecessary. Looks good so far.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:55 PM
banderashovel
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good, can't wait till we see the finished project..

Old 05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
jarrette
Intermediate

quick question, my dad is saying that we need a bracket to stabilize the carb onto the engine. Is there a better solution than a home made bracket? Is there something aftermarket they are making these days?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:49 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarrette
quick question, my dad is saying that we need a bracket to stabilize the carb onto the engine. Is there a better solution than a home made bracket? Is there something aftermarket they are making these days?
I've been running without for years with a small cleaner on but the original ovals were heavier. I'm going to switch back this year, I bought a bracket on Ebay this winter and recently saw two more. You'd have to check a parts manual to see which one for sure, those books are worth having when looking for parts. Also www.shovelhead.us has a good Forum there with a lot of info.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice project. A few comments. A 66 would have used star hubs, used from 36 to 66. The wheels you are using are 67 to 72 style they have a sealed ball bearing so a grease fitting would be a waste of time. Evidently someone changed out your brakes for the later style or you would not be able to use later style hubs on Star hub brake drums. Depending on which carb you are using would dictate what kind of support bracket. 1966 used a one year only DC linkert that was connected on a one year only right hand petcock tank. If you use a Bendix like on the Pan Motor in your photo you can use a braket off a 72 FLH which attached to the bottom of the front rocker box. Check you front box to see if it has the threaded hole. If not you can mount it from the center case bolt. If you have to fabricate one (easy) make it out of cardboard first that way you only have to cut and bend metal once. Mount it to the rear of the aircleaner backing plate or to the manifold.