Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

rewiring a 73 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 01:11 PM
1unclejojo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rewiring a 73 FLH

I was going over the wiring diagram and noticed a fewe things that made me scratch my head.Before we get to carried away I have not looked at the wiring on the bike.Just trying to get the answers I might need before starting the project...
1.right and left signal switches...?
2.emergency flasher switch ...?
3.directional signal flasher ...?
I am prob wrong,but couldn't one get away with one flasher unit??

Thanks for the help

Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

If you want to use factory stuff for your rewire, check your manual for the wiring diagram to see how to do it. If you are willing to go aftermarket, check these guys out.
http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com/
One of their Illuminator units will probably work for you. Call 'em for info on which unit will work best for your application. My experience has been that they are stand-up guys selling good stuff.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

I had some time to check my manual for your bike. There is one directional flasher and one emergency flasher. The way the factory wired the bike and the components used require one of each.
The Illuminator unit that I mentioned in my other reply will eliminate the need for two separate flashers and they are solid state.
I'm sure there are other companies that make these slick little units but Badlands is the only company I have dealt with.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 AM
1unclejojo
Cruiser

Thanks for the info megawatt!! I already have the wiring kit,enlarged copies of the wiring diagram w/color lines. I was noticing the different flashers and thought to myself.....better ask before starting or you may be sorry.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind

Old 03-03-2009, 03:46 AM
1unclejojo
Cruiser

Just an update

Got most of the wiring done.Having a little trouble....
1.) the starter will not engage when pressing the start button.Have power to relay(obviously from battery),test light lights up when starter button is pushed in.
No power going to starter,hoping possible faulty relay is the problem.
The starter is good,tested with screwdriver to make sure it worked.
2.) if I am reading the wiring diagram right(good possibility that I am not),how does the neutral light get its power?All I see is a wire going from neutral switch straight to the indicator light.....just baffles me.

Any helpful suggestions and or advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:22 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

1unclejojo,
Okay, you have a starter relay that has 12v. coming to it straight from the battery via a fusible link. There is also a wire coming to it from your starter button. The relay must be well grounded, via a ground wire and there is a wire from the relay to the starter solenoid. Do you have all those components?
When you push the starter button, it closes the circuit to the starter relay and energizes a coil in it (the other side of the coil is grounded through the ground wire). When energized, the coil becomes an electromagnet and pulls the connector together for the 12v. to the solenoid (this makes the connection between the fusible link wire and the wire to the solenoid).
This should energize the solenoid which pulls the mechanical linkage into engagement for the starter gears inside the primary case and at the end of the solenoid's travel it also closes the circuit feeding the 12v. from the battery to the starter motor so at that time, it should start cranking the engine over.
The neutral light has 12v. from the engine stop switch wire to the coil (it just taps into that wire to get the power for the neutral lamp). That 12v. wire goes to the neutral lamp and out the other side of the lamp to the neutral switch (located on the tranny) and when the tranny is in neutral, the switch closes to ground which completes the circuit for the lamp and it lights up.

Last edited by megawatt; 03-03-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
1unclejojo
Cruiser

megawatt
Thanks for the response.
The bike is not in my garage,so it will be this weekend.I believe the wires are hooked up as you said.But,I have been known to be wrong a time or two before.lol.When I put a test light to the relay I had power to two of the three prongs,that's why I am leaning to faulty relay.But...can't rule out human error either.
The neutral switch....you said gets power from the stop switch.How can that happen?The switch has one post,with a cap connector on it.Not saying anything...just do not understand how it makes a circuit.
Thanks again for all your help

Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM
1unclejojo
Cruiser

megawatt
disregard the question about the neutral light....had a blonde moment.
I reread what you wrote (coffee musta kicked in).Makes sense now.