Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

shovelhead starter drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 PM
bledsoeharley
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shovelhead starter drive

can anyone tell me how to change the starter drive on a 78 flh? i have the primary cover off, and not for sure what the next step is. thanks for any input.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:06 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

bledsoeharley,
If you have not disconnected your battery, do so now before ya get hurt.
After the battery is disconnected, just grab that shaft and wiggle it around and you will be able to pull it out of there. It's even more fun trying to get it back in there but it can be done in a pinch like not having all the tools ya need, but don't bend anything (the manual says to remove the starter/reduction gear assembly and that does make it much easier). With the shaft out, you can put it in a vise with soft jaws to prevent damaging the shaft and unscrew the nut with two flats to get the old drive unit off. I can't remember if it is right or left hand threads. I just looked it up, it is left hand threaded.
Putting the shaft back in, make sure the yoke for the solenoid linkage (shifter lever) fits into the thrust collar thing (shifter collar) so the solenoid can push and pull the drive unit in and out of engagement with the ring gear.
If ya ain't got a service manual, you probably will wish you do before this is through unless you are fairly mechanically inclined.
If ya can't get the shaft assembly pulled out of there or get it back in, then you will have to remove the starter and it's reduction gear assembly. You will need the gasket and o ring for the oil deflector plate.

Last edited by megawatt; 04-28-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:48 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Get the factory service manual first. I would also get the parts manual. This will show you exploded drawings and give you the part numbers for the gaskets, o-rings and starter drive. Without the manual you have too many chances to screw up. Some starter housings have one bolt on the inside of the primary, others just use studs and nuts. Don't grease the new starter gear or it will hang up on the shaft.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
1stForceRecon
Cruiser
Default Starter R&R on Shovelhead

Hey bro,

Here's to hoping that everything you started out to do back in April is accomplished by now, if it isn't then all I got for you is one word..... patience!

R&R'ing the starter is a test of futility to be sure. To wit.. take a look at Shovelhead.us then thread ... starter. To make a long story short our brother who first posted about getting the IPB, and assorted manuals is correct. You have to have guidance when doing this. Not to compromise your integrity as a wrench but this is one of the hardest things you can do on the 'ole girl!

At Shovelhead.us there is a a parts breakdown you can download and it will give you some guidance but a skilled mechanic is in order here. Case in point, you can do everything correct but it will still not work. Check out the postings, there are several where guys just give up and swap out their ignition packages and go kicker only. But if you're like me, an old fart who just as soon as push his bike uphill in a thunderstorm, then kick start his bike for lack of a better term.

So hang in there and remember the key to reinstalling your starter is "correct alignment" be it in shims or thrust washers, you got to have this thing is proper alignment or it will not work. Do not give up, have patience, when you think all is shot take a break and come back, think it out.

It may require you to be intuitive and make parts that are obsolete now or not available, don't give up! Think.... if the starter gear goes out too far and whines, then you have to stop the furthest action with a washer or bearing (created by no other than you!) So use all your skills and watch-listen-and be prepared to continue until it works correctly.

If your the kind of person who gets pissed at the drop of a hat, forget about it, let another do it for you. This will test the metal you're made out of.

Dutch

Old 05-15-2020, 12:27 PM
MD2020
1st Gear

Hi

I have a 1978 Shovelhead built as a show bike and never run. It is a nice build with a ton of receipts and mostly new parts, but was never started. Once prepped, I discovered a starter run on issue that fried the battery after causing things to super heat. After studying the problem, I have determined it to be a jammed starter pinion shaft, caused by the reduction gear slipping off the drive gear end of the spline in the gear housing. It is my opinion that the thrust washer that goes between the of the reduction gear, and the needle bearing, which is shown so clearly in most schematics, keeping it aligned with the starter motor gear, and keeping it securely on the shaft spine was missing, , and that this was the cause for the sloppiness. I disassembled, inspected, and indeed the thrust washer was missing. So, after that orientation, my real question: how do I install that thrust washer in what is a seemly impossible position? I cannot figure out how to be sure the washer will stay in place during assembly. It is hidden behind the gear, and the oil deflector plate conceals the area once the starter assembly is installed!

All the beat to you!

Michael Duty

tip11top@hotmail.com

Old 05-15-2020, 12:43 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,750 Likes on 6,195 Posts

Is the spacer behind the solenoid?

Attached Files

Last edited by RHPAW; 05-15-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:11 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The thrust washer on the inboard side behind the oil deflector is only used on 71 and earlier models. On my 68 I used some grease to hold it in place as I assembled the shaft.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:09 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by MD2020
Hi

I have a 1978 Shovelhead built as a show bike and never run. It is a nice build with a ton of receipts and mostly new parts, but was never started. Once prepped, I discovered a starter run on issue that fried the battery after causing things to super heat. After studying the problem, I have determined it to be a jammed starter pinion shaft, caused by the reduction gear slipping off the drive gear end of the spline in the gear housing. It is my opinion that the thrust washer that goes between the of the reduction gear, and the needle bearing, which is shown so clearly in most schematics, keeping it aligned with the starter motor gear, and keeping it securely on the shaft spine was missing, , and that this was the cause for the sloppiness. I disassembled, inspected, and indeed the thrust washer was missing. So, after that orientation, my real question: how do I install that thrust washer in what is a seemly impossible position? I cannot figure out how to be sure the washer will stay in place during assembly. It is hidden behind the gear, and the oil deflector plate conceals the area once the starter assembly is installed!

All the beat to you!

Michael Duty

tip11top@hotmail.com
wire it like this that wont happen again