Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

FLT Tour Glide cruising speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLT Tour Glide cruising speed

I own an 03' FXST (my first Harley after lusting for decades), but I've always been intrigued by the Shovelhead, as that's what I grew up with in the 70's. I've done a ton of research on the net and it seems that most of you, who own them, certainly love them, warts and all.

I particularly like the FLT Tour Glide and am wondering what a comfortable cruising speed is for the late 82-84 FLT Shovelheads with the five speed (from what I understand, there is no difference in the top gear ratio, just the flexibility of five vs. four)?

Can these bike sustain 75 mph without strain or would you be needing to do a ratio change on the pulleys?

Old 08-04-2009, 05:16 PM
andygears
Advanced
Default cruising speed

A lot of factors affect this: but, I owned a '82 FXR that was a 5 spd shovel that was new in '83 when I bought it. I fondly remember touring throughout New England at 70, 75, and 80 without issue. At times, 90 was sustained running with my partner, Mikey Beemer, who also had a new RS? 800 BMW with the mid size sport touring fairing.

That was then, this is now. Till, I think, '84 chains were the rear drive. I know from experience (a friends) that converting those bikes to belt required a swingarm change. He built a shovel road king from a tired FLT and a take off stock paint set from a RK. Looked cool as **** when done. A FLT pushes a lot of air, those bikes are 25-30 years old now, and belts have spoiled us for the maintenance of chains, all of which may slow down the comfort zone. But a lot of the good stuff was there: the rubber mounts kept the shovel from vibrating and leaking, the early 5 spd was basically good except 1980 (1st year) which had some unique 1 year parts, the 20? spoke mags on the dressers were trouble free.

If you go this route I would look for an "old guy" one owner FLT that hadn't had the wiring screwed with too much by a lot of accessories. Motors, trannies and running gear can easily be reliably fixed but rewiring a dresser or getting stuck with a short is no fun! And don't even ask the dealer to work on it. The kids that work there weren't born when these bikes were new.

Anyway, sounds like a fun project.

andygears

Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Regis
Cruiser
Talking

Thanks so much for the info, Andy. The way you put it together made it a nice read. I'm doing the research, because that's what I decided I'd like to have. Something with personality, versus the usual E-Glide Classic - Ultra - etc, etc.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:41 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to dissuade you or anything, just my 2 cents: I'd much rather have a twin cam touring bike and a shovel "fun bike" than the other way around. For a bike that you're going to really travel with, the gas-and-go super reliable twinkie with some modern amenities is SO nice.

I enjoy tinkering with my shovel, but with the bagger I just want to get on it and go somewhere.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 PM
andygears
Advanced

Reliability is relative. Personally I feel that of the three, shovel, evo, & twin cam, evo's are the most reliable motor Harley ever built! Sorry, Cripula but a rubber mounted shovel fixes most of the leak and vibration caused ills of the earlier shovels. The shovel valve geometry and cast iron cylinders shorten topend life, and the host of cam/oil pump/bad flywheel/poor main bearings make twinkies most expensive to repair. My '87 Evo has 105,000 miles and has never had a rebuild. this is not that unusual. But new or old, most Harleys have a personality, like people, and judgeing a group by the manners of one can lead to false conclusions.

andygears

Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 PM
bherr
Intermediate

andygears,
I just purchased a 81 FLT tour glide that had sat in the guys basement for 19 years and 9 months, never being started. Now I'd be the first to admit that the bike has some rough spots on the frame and chrome rails around the saddlebags. Anyway I trailered it back to my motorcycle shop and hosed it off. ( 1/2 inch of dust and cobwebs) the tank had been drained so added a gal of high test gas, hooked and battery up and in 4 cranks it started. Now the fun begins as I'm in the process of tearing it down to do a complete restoration. I do powder coating, and dyno tuning. I plan on powder coating the frame and tins with the fiberglass getting painted. I'm torn between powder coating the chrome parts that are rusted instead of re-chroming due to the cost. I already have it stripped down to the frame but can't decide which way to go, back to stock or fine tune to fit my taste. I plan on tearing the engine down to replace the main bearings, new rings, gaskets etc. Looking for any suggestions on the rebuild.

Ben Herr
2 Wheel Creations
Johnstown, PA

Old 04-05-2013, 10:05 PM
built4com4t
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andygears
...the early 5 spd was basically good except 1980 (1st year) which had some unique 1 year parts...
being new to shovelheads and my '80 FLT in particular,
any info on 1-year available parts needing workarounds
would be great.

thanks!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd powdercoat!!!
Solo or smaller seat, lowered, mix of gloss and flat black... that bike would look sick!

Old 04-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,203 Likes on 5,397 Posts

Originally Posted by andygears
That was then, this is now. Till, I think, '84 chains were the rear drive. I know from experience (a friends) that converting those bikes to belt required a swingarm change. those bikes are 25-30 years old now, and belts have spoiled us for the maintenance of chains, all of which may slow down the comfort zone. But a lot of the good stuff was there: the rubber mounts kept the shovel from vibrating and leaking, the early 5 spd was basically good except 1980 (1st year) which had some unique 1 year parts, the 20? spoke mags on the dressers were trouble free.

They were enclosed chains, which basically run forever with minor maintenance...also the room for the enclosure makes putting a belt on a piece of cake...no swing arm change needed. The late shovels were pretty damn good...I am building an 83 right now...it did not have a single leak when i bought it. If you convert the valve train to evo stuff(jims and s&s make kits) they are every bit as reliable...just have a bad rep. The ratios are pretty much the same as evo touring bikes, and will run 80 all day without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 04-06-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:03 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

you can always slam 6speed gears in your 5 speed transmission
I read different opinions on it... wether if works great or you need to modify the case slightly... so a beefier aftermarket case would work better

anyway... 75-80 cruising is no problem...