Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Classic > Shovelhead
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

P

Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Hang Around
Default Dual Plug SHovelheads Ignition Choices

Have nice set of 70 Shovel heads being bolted to a '58 Panhead bottom end. I want to use the stock timer to fire the dual 3 ohm coils. I've been told that I'll burn up the condensor after a few hundred miles. What's the right combination to make this work reliably? I'm thinking wires, coils, ignition timing, and any hook-up tricks & tips. I'm trying to stay away from the very expensive Mallory electornic ignition. Ideas?
Thanks.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Hang Around

Mr. Petty,
Your issue has a simple solution;
to wit: git yer hands onna DUAL-POINT distributor, mount that sucker then follow the manual procedures for timing the double points
If you don't already have a dual-point distributor then go to the manual and see what the thing looks like; It has a different lookin point breaker cam than anything else. Remember to use the REAR points to fire the REAR cyl. And don't mix yer wires.
You might give some thought to (at least temporarily) running a cyl.head temp gauge. This effort would pay off in helping to dial-in your plug range; And, if those are short-reach heads, I recommend RGK B6L as an all around great plug to acommodate a
variaty of operating ranges. I don't remember the # for the equv. long-reach but there is one.
Hope this helps, you're on to a good thing.
Skip
P.S. if you got the patience and desire, I reccommend you set-up a (stock) retard, that is, using the left handle-bar grip, otherwise, if you forgit to retard when you kick, YOU WILL BE.

Last edited by last shovel; 11-28-2009 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: wrong information on first post
Old 11-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Road Warrior

use 2,1.5 ohm 6v coils,wire them in series,you wont have a prob
kirby
Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Hang Around

The 6 volt is OK if not wired for 12 volt..I took the easier route ,, a Vulcan single fire timer,,no need to worry bout advance,,can run 2 3ohm or 2 5 ohm coils and dual plugs..The system still uses weights for timing advance..This is a 88" pan kicker only..
Dave
Old 12-04-2009, 12:15 PM

P