Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Connecting Rod Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:15 PM
bluezguy
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Connecting Rod Info Needed

Hi... It's me again...

Got my Truett & Osborn 4 1/2" wheels a couple days ago and I wanna hang 'em in a frame... they're real prettyyyy! Now the work begins.

What other choices of connecting rods do we have for a simple stroker other than the over-priced, 'boutique stuff' of S&S, Jims and Sifton? Are HD rods REALLY that inferior ?

OR IS IT THE STINKIN' SPIN
that seems to be put on everything that we as consumers WANT BUT DON'T REALLY NEED @*^$@#%!!!!!![:'(] [:@][>:]etc.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (11-28-2019)
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM
biggerjose
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Connecting Rod Info Needed

Bluz;
Well you made the right choice for the flywheels. I have a set of them in the 4 1/2" version too...Great choice. Your gonna love this..I used a stock set of rods in mine and no trouble since 1977. What you should do though is Magnaflux the rods first and then get them Shot peaned to toughen them up. I wouldn't recommend usin' them if they have any cracks.
Another thing that I would really recommend is a set of 3 5/8" barrels. You have it this far apert you should spend the $ on those barrels. That will make all of the difference in the world..There are some things that you will run into though. The barrels will elevate your engine .200 and depending on your frame, could make removing the rear head a "Pull the Engine" deal. Right now is the time to elevate your seat post 1/4" so this won't be a problem. That is easy to do and not very expensive. The push rod tubes will require a set that is .200 longer to work for the extra heigth. Your old intake manifold won't work either. S&S has em' 4 the taller barrels. I don't know what kind of a carb that you have but if it is for a stock motor it sure won't be big enough for a 93" motor. The last thing you want to do is burn down your new "stroker" motor. Stay away from forged pistons and chrome rings..Stay with low compression pistons so you can burn this current crap they call gas..Choose the right cam too. For a 93" motor the best cam on the planet is a Sifton 468+. About the only thing I can think of at this point is send your heads to Perry at Flo Head Works in Oceano California to get em ready to run with what you will have..2 or 3 bolt exhaust flanges are a big improvement. If you want a totally trouble free engine, O Ring the barrels and drain your top end oil out of the sides of the heads and run the drains into the sucker hole that was for pulling the oil out of the primary. Block all of the drains through the heads and barrels and go streight out the sides. This meathod will vacume all of the oil from the rockers..I don't know how much $ you have but iffin' you do all this stuff, you'll be able to spank just about any evo. Choose the right gear ratio too..When you build this kind of an engine and you have a 4 speed, drop in a 2.60 1st gear to give you the initial rip to get rolling then after your movin' nothing else matters.
Strokers are great fun and fast...Didn't mean to ramble on but I just couldn't help myself..Jozer

rockher_man (11-28-2019)
Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 PM
biggerjose
Intermediate

Bluz;
As far as the pushrods go I ment .200 longer spring clips not pushrods. J.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
bluezguy
Intermediate

Jozer,

It's guys like you who keep these ships afloat with all the tons of info you are willing to share with others... it's stuff ya don't get out of the local 'chopper shops'... they're too busy tryin' to run a business... thanks.

I gotta go stock bore because of cash - hands down, no can do (wanna though...).

I gotta tell ya though; the big bore jugs do come in stock height as well as the taller height you talk about. My text book info says yer cheatin' yerself on compression if yer usin' the .200 taller jugs on a 4 1/2". According to a number of 'pro' shops as well as Truett & Osborn, JIMS and S&S, the 4 1/2" stroke relies on the standard height. 96" + requires either a base plate or the taller jugs different manifold, pushrods etc...
It don't just stop there... ya gotta get yer heads cut for big bore = more money - can't do... I'm gonna start cryin' any second now and that'll get me fartin' - wife hates when that happens...

Anyways, thanks for the info on the rods... I'm gonna do it!

Currently, I'm runnin' a B grind Andrews cam as well as Evo oil system with parts provided by JIMS, S&S duo-plugged heads, Wiseco 9:1 forged pistons +0.060, Super 'E' carb & K&N, Cycle Shack duo-staggered pipes as advised by S&S for my 74" configuration, 5-speed Evo trans all mounted in a Santee Rubber Mount frame. I also got rid of the inner primary chain for a Primo Brute Classic belt drive system a number of years ago.... I got the hottest, be-all-ya-can-be 74" on the block!!!!!

I take her apart every year just for sh-tz & giggles so it don't really matter. I just won me a set of S&S stock bore +0.060 shovel pistons on eBay...thanks to some folks on this forum; they calipered in at exactly the same width as my Wiseco K1611z. Life is good! Let the project begin. 86.49" here we come.....

rockher_man (11-28-2019)
Old 08-14-2006, 02:31 AM
biggerjose
Intermediate

Bluez;
Everything i say is only what I have experienced..Only my opinion don't you know, but low compression is what I have and it will probably run on Kerosene..Good luck to you. 86" is where I started out with too, and loved it..Next time apart I did the heads and that made as much difference as stroking it seemed like. Then the big barrels were next..Everything I did made it better and more fun. Let us know how it goes.
Nothing stops me either as If I want it I just don't eat 4 a while..My bike was a ridged frame from 77 til 2003 and I waz gittin' older and made it into a swing arm. Broke both knees in 2004 and couldn't kick it too well and made up an electric start..I just do what ever I need to to keep me from having to buy something I don't really want..(A new one)..I am sure that you'll love it............Jozer

rockher_man (11-28-2019)
Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 AM
bluezguy
Intermediate

10/4 there Jozer...sounds like you & me have lived our Shovels the same way. I've been wrecked & broken just like my scooter and my plan is to do it one step at a time. I've been real happy with 74 inches for 35 years now and I guess it's just because all these punk *** twin cams flyin' by my house (since a new HD dealership went up down the street) have made me wanna zip right past 'em in my old age.
Two ol' buddies of mine in Detroit only did cams (L5 Lienwebers), port & polish heads by Dave Mackie and 4 1/2" wheels to their '77 baggers... comin' up with the 86"... they were eatin' Twin Cams off the lights like nobody's business. When ridin' together, they razz heck outta me at intersections and leave me behind in a tire burnin' second until I punched into 5th gear (after the ramp) around 65-70mph and gave them the royal bugle goodbye - ain't gearing fun
They had their scooters all geared up for that street foolin' around and had zero ***** left on their 4 speeds after 60. Dang, I love Shovels!!!!!

rockher_man (11-28-2019)