Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Blowing Oil

Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blowing Oil

HELP!!!! I just rebuilt my 78 after being down for over a year - layed off and no funds, everything on the build went well. I have an S&S oil pump 9.5 to 1 weisco pistons, 40 over. When i fired the bike all was well, rode the old girl to the gas station - 4 miles, shut her off and I started wet sumping out of the vent tube. Fired her up, rode home and left a trail of oil all the way - looking in my oil bag there was only a cup or two in the bag - and yes it was full before I left. I rebuilt the oil pump with the S&S rebuild kit. I was wet sumping before the rebuild and spraying some oil - but now my rear brake pads are ruined, oil has covered my Samsons and my rear tire is soaked with oil too!
Since I tried the rebuild kit - you think it might be time for a new oil pump?????
ShovelheadGreg in Alabama

Old 05-04-2010, 07:51 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 597 Likes on 306 Posts

uh, did you check that there is flow from the oil pump through to the oil bag? sounds to me like the return side of your pump isn't returning. could be a busted key on the scavenger side, but from the sounds of it you had it all apart and this is a continued problem. what did it look like when you had it all apart?

Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 PM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced

Made sure there was flow back to the bag - no issues there, I completely rebuilt the oil pump - S&S - put in new woodruf keys and all new gaskets, the master rebuild kit had a new check ball and springs for both. Any more ideas? this is really frustrating me and need all the help with this I can get...
SHG

Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This sounds like a sheared key to me

Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the oil lines are routed correctly and the breather timming is also correct.Either one of those will make you pump oil out or blow it out !

Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced

Will take the cam cover off this weekend and check for a key sheared. As far as the timing is concerned - all three timing marks liked up before I put the cover on. the oil lines are correct, but since the bike was layed up for over a year - I wonder if the lines might be clogged, but then I do have flow back to the bag, I know I am getting oil to the rocker boxes, since my rocker arms are still intact and they didn't go ballistic...
Thank guys for your assist - if you can think of ANYTHING else - PLEASE - let me know. My Evo buddies are giving me a ration of crap about my "antique" and want to shut them up!
SHG

Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Jealousy can be a bitch In time they'll get over it

Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced

Its been a great bike and a damn trustworthy one - since bought in 79, I have gone through 4 speedo's and the nearest I can tell I am over 200,000k. I rebuilt the old girl several times and this is the first time I am at a loss! Will send pics when I get her running right, has Accutronics trees & forwards, cobalt blue ghost flames, samsons and a bunch of other stuff added, the slickest part are the front tubes - got a Kawasaki front end and put it on, dual 12.5 free floating rotors with the dual piston Kow brakes - did a nosey and didn't mean to, pucker factor was hi when the rear tire came up - but now I got a Harley that will stop...lol
Greg -
ps - my bike don't leak - it just marks its territory...lol

Old 05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
SirEagle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure the breather isnt clogged,,I had a 78 shovel that a mud daubber build a nest in the breather hose,,and it puked oil out of everywhere ,,,

Old 05-06-2010, 07:41 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 597 Likes on 306 Posts

you didn't change the cam cover did you? there are different covers for different years, and if you put the wrong one on it can cause this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blowing Oil