Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Now I get it!! I love my 1971 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:53 PM
javalen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now I get it!! I love my 1971 FLH

Well I finally worked all the kinks out of my build and although I've rode her in recent weeks today was the first time she rode well, really well! I picked her up 3 1/2 years ago for 6k. She hadn't been on the rode for at least 15 years and was 100% original with some extra chrome. I wrenched on her and she started and rode just fine, I probably should have stopped there but I wanted to make her mine so I tore her down, all the way down. Had the frame powder coated, new paint and then I started making mistakes. I purchased a 93 S&S hot set-up and had the engine stroked. Then I thought, well this old four speed isn't going to cut it, so I picked up a 5 in a 4 speed case Jims tranny.

In March of last year I had all put together and put her on the road for the first time. I made it 40 miles before the engine seized. Turns out the shop that did the work put a later model nose cone on her and the because the oil ports didn't line up, well you know the rest. I was madder than a pitt-bull with a took ache but more than that I was crushed. The shop keeper was as mad as I was and fired his shovel guy, then he gave me brand new in the crate fully assembled 96" S&S with carb electronic ignition, the works.

I was still bummed because I wanted my original bike and engine. Oh well no use crying over spilled milk. The shop offered to do the install but I wanted to do it myself and finally got around to it about a month ago. She started fine but rode rough, so again with wrench in hand I went to work, changed all the wheel bearings, adjusted the chain, did all the little things that I didn't do originally. Today I took her out and I got to tell you I totally understand why you guys love your old bikes. The looks are fine but maneuvering that heavy piece of art through the streets just feels right.

I made some terrible mistakes and what an expensive lesson to learn, the good news is that I have all the original parts, every nut and bolt. I plan to have the original engine put back to its original state some day, I know its going to cost a bundle but I'm so deep in the red that I decided this is just a labor of love. What I didn't mention is that the bike used to belong to my uncle who used to take me for rides when I was very young, he passed away and I purchased it out of probate.

She's a real head turner now, many will say, and I've said more than a few times myself , that I should have left her alone, I don't plan on ever parting with her so I made choices that suited me.

To those of you who are considering making changes to you classic, something I read on this forum really rings true, "It's only original once".

Just wanted to share my 2 cents, man I can't wait till tomorrow!

Happy riding gents! and you ladies too!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:39 AM
btroy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on your new bike, sound like you learned a few things along the way!

Happy riding!

Old 06-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Awesome man. Nice right up and shittty luck. Just got mine on the road tonight I know the feeling. Working for months not getting anywhere and then bam your kickin it alive.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 PM
javalen
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lundee
Awesome man. Nice right up and shittty luck. Just got mine on the road tonight I know the feeling. Working for months not getting anywhere and then bam your kickin it alive.
Glad to hear that some builds go smoother than mine, enjoy and safe riding!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 PM
javalen
Advanced

Originally Posted by btroy
congrats on your new bike, sound like you learned a few things along the way!

Happy riding!
Yes I did and what costly way to learn, but all in all I love the way she rides.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM
FLYING
Club Member

There is nothing like the feeling of a older fl going into a corner with that low center of gravity and hearing the running boards scrape!