Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My Shovel Build

Old 06-26-2010, 10:46 PM
junker73hd
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Shovel Build

Here's a few pics of my 73 Shovel build.Whatcha think?......

Old 06-27-2010, 11:17 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

junker73hd,
I am intrigued by your rear suspension.
What is the advantage you get from something as complex as that or is it just the challenge of doing something different?
And the long intake runner, are you going for lots of low rpm torque or again, just doing things differently?
It doesn't look like it, but are you using an electric start to help charge your intake when starting?
Judging by the rust, this is a long term project.

Last edited by megawatt; 06-27-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
junker73hd
Road Captain

This all started 2 years ago when I put my bike on the lift to replace the rear head gasket.Two hours later my frame was cut in to three pieces.....I designed the suspension on my shop floor.I wanted to get away from the stock swingarm set up,but didn't want a rigid.I flipped,shaved and stretched the swingarm 4" for tire clearance.The shock has adjustable ride control and dampening.It seems to work well on the bench,just adjusting the ride height now.The intake is stainless.I have a plan for priming and a plan to assist in fuel delivery,stay tuned.The bike is kick only,suicide clutch,jockey shift.And you are correct,I am trying to build something different.I like the challenge of trying to come up with something different.Thanks for your interest.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

How many hours do you have invested in drilling holes?
How many seconds delay between twisting the throttle and actually moving will you get with that intake?
Is that a siren for a velocity stack?
The mono-shock is too cool!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 PM
junker73hd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
How many hours do you have invested in drilling holes?
How many seconds delay between twisting the throttle and actually moving will you get with that intake?
Is that a siren for a velocity stack?
The mono-shock is too cool!
Too many hours to count.There's 141 holes in the rear wheel alone.I have a plan for fuel delivery,but I'm still working on it.The hardest part will be kickstarting,but I have that worked out also(I think...)The velocity stack is an emergency buzzer from a schoolhouse during the 50's.Inside is a MaGuires' polishing pad sandwiched between two stainless shower drain screens.Thanks for the comments.Glad you like the monoshock,there's a lot of work in it.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:48 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

You get that head gasket changed yet?
I hope it all comes together for you.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM
junker73hd
Road Captain

Originally Posted by megawatt
You get that head gasket changed yet?
I hope it all comes together for you.
TECH TIP:It's real easy to replace the rear head gasket after you cut your frame in half.Saves a lot of wrenchin'.And it will come together,has no choice!

Old 06-27-2010, 02:26 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,827 Likes on 17,453 Posts

A man after my own heart !! Screw stock and lets see what it falls out to be ! Nice bud real nice man you just took me on a major way back trip to some of the crazy crap we used to come up with back in the late 70's . Your on the right track with the mono shock design and setup I helped a guy do one very similar and it worked well . Please keep a running update on this project I suspect your going to have a good following .

Old 06-27-2010, 03:06 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by junker73hd
TECH TIP:It's real easy to replace the rear head gasket after you cut your frame in half.Saves a lot of wrenchin'!
HA!!!
I imagine it is easier indeed.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 PM
brazill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
A man after my own heart !! Screw stock and lets see what it falls out to be ! Nice bud real nice man you just took me on a major way back trip to some of the crazy crap we used to come up with back in the late 70's . Your on the right track with the mono shock design and setup I helped a guy do one very similar and it worked well . Please keep a running update on this project I suspect your going to have a good following .
Thanks man.Just trying to come up with something different.I'll post more pics as I go along.Thanks for commenting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Shovel Build