Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead, Best Years

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Kopazzz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shovelhead, Best Years

Can someone please tell me the best years Shovelheads were made.

Thinking of buying an old school shovel that I can convert into a "David Mann" looking machine.

Want to stay away from the severely problematic years; my understanding is some AMFs were really bad, others not so much.

Appreciate all feedback.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:01 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,841 Likes on 17,456 Posts

Everybody is going to have a different opinion of The " best years " . Myself I'm real partial to the 70 - 74 models and the 80's bikes with 80" motors were pretty good for the most part I just didn't care for the trans & shifting on those , and the 74" motors are tractors treat them half way right and they run forever . The only ones I'll say skip on and here comes the flames are the 1977 - 78 - 79 years , they had all kinds of problems with everything . Harley basically tossed parts together and made bikes what the numbers say it is most times is wrong . Engine cases weren't machined right , bad cam bearings & nose cone fit , frame breaking in a couple of spots ,some of the cylinders had a .006" taper on the head gasket surface , egg shaped bores , ect . I worked at a dealer during that time so this isn't hearsay , ok . But on the up side every problem that could arise on a shovel there's a tried and true well known fix for it out there , good luck shopping I've had my 72 shovel 28yrs now

The following users liked this post:
Puttnutt24 (08-19-2023)
Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,214 Likes on 1,481 Posts

The best years...1966-1984. Think about it...unless you find a museum piece, shovels only survived because the problems were fixed by the previous owner.

AMF years were a blessing and a curse; MoCo buy back was a double-edged sword.

Sounds like you are gonna modify what you purchase, so just look for a scoot with CLEAN numbers, solid motor/tranny and go from there

The following 4 users liked this post by panz4ever:
Baird (05-08-2020), Bubby (06-28-2021), old mago (05-15-2020), rockher_man (05-10-2020)
Old 08-01-2010, 03:14 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also build your own Shovel. Just find a cheap buy on a "Non-Running but with clean papers Shovel. Go to just about any reputable aftermarket engine manufacturer and get a new Shovel with the improved internals. Just be sure to get the Point of Origin Certificate to male registering it with the new motor. This way you will have a Known ride, not a questionable one.

One thing I really loved about my old Shovel was I could just about fix any problem found when on the road. They were very reliable and easy to fix when they did break down.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Actually the last 2 poster's make pretty good sense in a way and it is hard to find one that hasn't been worked over one way or another but it there some bone stockers out there if you run across one to buy bear in mind my first post .

Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Early shovels 66 thru 69 great ! AMF take over years 71 thru 73 problems with things like pinion shaft oiling after 74 got better by 77 pretty reliable I had a 781/2 put 45K miles (converted from Prestolite electronic ign to points at 20K put in an A grind cam/ solid lifters ) I still have a 52 pan/shovel kick only love it !

Old 08-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Kopazzz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone for your response; some great suggestions out there. I'll post the route I went with when the time comes. I'll likely have some more questions before I do anything. Thanks again for all your feedback.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (05-10-2020)
Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
77HDFX
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Everybody is going to have a different opinion of The " best year. The only ones I'll say skip on and here comes the flames are the 1977 - 78 - 79 years , they had all kinds of problems with everything .
Damit got me right between the eyes. !!

I'm the 3rd owner and the bottom end is still original never been apart. But it sat for 12 years. I've had it around 13 years now.

Sounds like you want a cheap one to build your own thing. Just star hitting Craigs list everywhere, Ran across one the other week 3500 running bike.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Yo , let's not get into a dick wagging contest because your panties got little tight over a generalized statement . The man asked a question and I gave an answer based on a lifetime of dealing with other peoples broken **** including a couple of years as a mechanic for a midwest states Harley dealership during the years mentioned , Ive still have a 3" thick book of of the service bulletins & recall repair notices somewhere , 75 % of the bikes I've repaired or helped somebody with are those 3 yrs mentioned , 1978 being the biggest offender for owner aggravation . Not major things most times , just a continual series of little things that get worse . When you keep records it comes down to numbers bud not just personal opinion . Every year had it's quirks some more than others . The bikes are all the same to me , I just see or hear whats needs to be fixed anymore , bad habit maybe but I,m the guy who they come see when all the shops around here won't touch their bike . What are you bringing to this discussion besides an opinion and wise *** attitude ? Be nice I have no interest in acquiring any more bikes or parts .............

As a another poster said by this point they are all pretty much sorted out over the years , if your the 3rd owner you didn't get any cherry there now did you ? But really that's is a nice looking bike I very rarely see anything remotely stock anymore .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-01-2010 at 07:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Baird (05-08-2020), FLHS1990 (10-19-2023)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 PM
77HDFX
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nothing wadded up here, but someone had to be the 1st one! \
I though you said you were waiting on the fire!
You are right there is none of them still the same.. and if you get one you will have to do something to it..

Quick Reply: Shovelhead, Best Years