Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

solid tappets

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:44 PM
irondog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default solid tappets

I read a bunch of posts on converting to solids and it was a very straightforward job to do. i adjusted them just like my old ironhead, started the bike and it sounded great. after it warmed up the lifters became very noisy so i re adjusted them and again after the warm up they were again tapping away. shouldn't it be just the opposite? noisy cold and quieter when warmed up?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

solids are not quiet get use to it What wt oil do you run ? If 50 wt try 60

Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

What kind or brand did you get and did you use stock or the cheap fat alum. push rods ? Cam ? stock or ? makes a difference . Solids are going to talk period . You can knock down lot of it with the correct setup , the cheaper parts flex & bend , rub against rockerboxs and P tubes .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-24-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:16 AM
irondog
Intermediate

i bought a kit from JP with the chromoly push rods made in USA. stock cam. I understand they make noise but they make a lot of noise, more than my old ironhead. cold they are quiet, hot they are loud as hell!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:39 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

If your running a stock cam (set up for hyd lifters ) That might give you more noise(has something to do with the cam ramp to pump up the hydraulic lifter ? ) When I adjust the pushrod at the lowest point of the cam (cold ) I adjust it to a tight spin with my fingers

Old 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

By the way did you close off the oil feed holes in the lifter blocks ? These holes sent oil to the hydraulic units

Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
If your running a stock cam (set up for hyd lifters ) That might give you more noise(has something to do with the cam ramp to pump up the hydraulic lifter ? ) When I adjust the pushrod at the lowest point of the cam (cold ) I adjust it to a tight spin with my fingers
+1 on both points. I adjust mine so they are a very tight turn by finger. Get used to adjusting them too, because they require more maintenance than the hydros. If you decide to change cams down the road, don't forget to check for endplay and space accordingly with an appropriate washer.

Hobo

Old 08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have solids with a C-Grind cam and as soon as Winter Time hits out they go !
The Evo Style are almost like a automotive type and Iam going to that conversion for
Hydraulics.I am just sick of the noise & adjusting ! I just do not see any advantage to keeping them.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

All good info in here , the stock hyd. cam has an almost square lobe while the solid version is rounded so ya that's going to make more noise , the lifter slams pretty hard instead rolling over the lobes . While it works you didn't gain anything with that configuration , look into an cam for solids might save some headaches down the road . Good choice on the push rods I've got a shoebox full of tossed alum. ones , most bent .

A suggestion Flying , consider the Jims kits I've got several of those out in 88" & bigger motors trouble free oldest @ 12 yrs now . I've had 3 sets of the Velva Touch crap self destruct taking cams with them and they have zero customer service won't answer emails or a phone call so an heads up for what it's worth

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 08-18-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
irondog
Intermediate

I did go with the solids because of money issues, maybe when i have a few more bucks i will definitely go for the Jim's setup and for now i'll go for the tighter adjustments. one of the old hydraulics would bleed down or stick every once and a while so i took the less expensive route. thanks for the all the help. Ride On!

Quick Reply: solid tappets