Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1975 FLH fork leak

Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 PM
44caliberkid
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1975 FLH fork leak

After not having a bike since 1988, tomorrow I pick up a cherry 1975 FLH. I have previously had a 1965 pan and a 1976 FX. The only thing wrong with this one is that the front fork leaks oil at the bottom of the slider, from around the axle. Since I won't really be able to get into it till I get it home, I suspect it's from the damper stud and nut, but could be the drain plugs. Is there a seal or rubber washer, O ring, at the damper stud/ nut connection? anything else I should be looking for? I looked at an exploded drawing in a manual, but the pic was really too small.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Think that if it leaking through the drain plug you will see fluid running from the plug and over to the axle. Leaks through the studs will easily be visible with the wheel and axle pulled.

Guts for yours is (I believe) the same from late 49 to early 77. So if you have a true 75 front end there are paper washers in the bottom of the fork tubes that are designed to help prevent looks through the fork sliders where the stud comes out at the bottom. Additionally they make thin steel shims in case the end of the stud extends beyond the nut (you tighten it down and still have free play). Obviously to fix that problem you need to pull the tubes and sliders and separate the components. Not difficult just a PITA.

If it is coming from the studs, you might get lucky and fins it is the nuts that have backed off/weren't tighten properly and get away easy.

No matter what you must post a pic (or 2 of) your new acquisition. Forum rules (if you read the fine print) JK!

Congrats on the new purchase

Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 PM
44caliberkid
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply. I picked her up today, using a buddy's trailer to bring it home. I really wanted to ride it home but no go with no fork oil. I will post some pics soon. I stopped at the Harley dealer on the way home to get oil and see if they had the washers. No on the washers, wondering if I could fabricate something as good or better. While standing at the parts counter I looked outside and observed my "new" Harley was drawing a crowd.
When I got it home my friend who loaned me the trailer came to look at it and said it's the cleanest Harley that age he's ever seen. It is darn pretty. I got five cardboard boxes of parts, take offs, accessories, etc. too. I'd like to rectify the fork situation tomorrow so I can ride this beauty.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Twin2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace fork seals and while I was at it put in a lowering kit - damper bolt would be a SHCS (allen head) with a copper washer - local HD dealer sold them for 7.00 dollars each , you will need a long 6mm allen socket to get to them

Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 PM
flh80
Cruiser

The earlier legs were SAE threads not Metric (like Panz4ever says up to 77), you could find some copper or thin aluminum washers would seal.

Last edited by flh80; 08-26-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,763 Likes on 17,437 Posts

Very wise not to ride her uneven fork oil can cause a speed wobble , discovered that at a young age the hard way .

Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,200 Likes on 1,477 Posts

Originally Posted by 44caliberkid
Thanks for the reply. I picked her up today, using a buddy's trailer to bring it home. I really wanted to ride it home but no go with no fork oil. I will post some pics soon. I stopped at the Harley dealer on the way home to get oil and see if they had the washers. No on the washers, wondering if I could fabricate something as good or better. While standing at the parts counter I looked outside and observed my "new" Harley was drawing a crowd.
When I got it home my friend who loaned me the trailer came to look at it and said it's the cleanest Harley that age he's ever seen. It is darn pretty. I got five cardboard boxes of parts, take offs, accessories, etc. too. I'd like to rectify the fork situation tomorrow so I can ride this beauty.

Surprised the dealer even acknowledged you when you mentioned the word 'shovel' realize it is not the same everywhere but Bay Area, Kali, you would get the thousand yard stare if you posed that request to a dealer.

www.nosparts.com is an on-line source. Call Kick-Start M/C (forgot their number but should come up on a Google search). V-twin for little stuff is an option as well.

Do not get rid of your OEM stuff. Shovels are a bit undervalue right now, but the fact is that it sounds like you got a damn near original piece of iron (w take off parts). When you post a pic of the bike post some pics of the extras, but say no to selling them. You will kick yourself hard later if you get rid of them now. Bike can only be original once. Aftermarket Taiwan Ted stuff is no where close to OEM.

Hell I am excited to see a pic of it and it's not even mine

Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,763 Likes on 17,437 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Surprised the dealer even acknowledged you when you mentioned the word 'shovel' realize it is not the same everywhere but Bay Area, Kali, you would get the thousand yard stare if you posed that request to a dealer.

www.nosparts.com is an on-line source. Call Kick-Start M/C (forgot their number but should come up on a Google search). V-twin for little stuff is an option as well.

Do not get rid of your OEM stuff. Shovels are a bit undervalue right now, but the fact is that it sounds like you got a damn near original piece of iron (w take off parts). When you post a pic of the bike post some pics of the extras, but say no to selling them. You will kick yourself hard later if you get rid of them now. Bike can only be original once. Aftermarket Taiwan Ted stuff is no where close to OEM.

Hell I am excited to see a pic of it and it's not even mine

Man speaks wise words here listen to them , and ya your right 10 yrs max is about the break point for dealers around here some much less .