Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

NEW Primo belt drive for Shovelheads!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default NEW Primo belt drive for Shovelheads!

I was talking with Steve at Primo last week, he told me they are now offering the 1 1/2 inch wide 11mm belt drive system which will fit in stock primary's for electric or kick start Shovelheads. Steve said to demonstrate how tough the kevlar poly-chain belts are they cut one down to 1/4 inch wide and it was running on a big cubic in engine with no problem!
Part # 2015-0005 for electric start.
This along with the Pro Clutch PC-1000A sounds like a bullet proof set up!
Quote below from their web site.
The ALL NEW BRUTE III Extreme is specifically designed for high horsepower street or competition applications requiring above average strength & durability. The proprietary 11mm 1 3/4" "dense pack" smooth back Kevlar poly-chain belt is virtually indestructible and available exclusively from Primo. Primo's Brute III Extreme was specifically designed to live with the extreme shock loads generated by large displacement, highlymodified American V-Twins without whimpering. This unit represents the latest technological advances in primary drive power transfer, and primary belt design
I want one but will have to wait until the Harley fund grows a little more

Old 04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
n28ive1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Primo belt drive for Shovelheads!

I've got that set-up on my bike, well almost. It's the 1-1/2", 8mm, PC1000A, Running the Rivera Pro Clutch. The whole set-up is quite nice, and the Pro Clutch is a dream.

I will have to look into the 11mm set-up, as I snapped my primary belt in half today. Oooops. It's supposed to rain the rest of the week, so I will have time to replace the belt before next weekend.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Rodney
Road Master

I've broken only one belt in the life of my belt drive experiences, but got in the habit of checking and replacing every year. As Steve said the old belts were simply a piece if rubber with some nylon and kevlar, well is kevlar.
I also was only running a stock 74 engine up till now and was questioning the BDL system I am now running.
I am going to have enough left over parts to build another bike pretty soon but better sell them instead!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:20 PM
stroker93
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I perfer the BDL stuff myself,,never had any problems with belts yet...I have 3 bikes with them on...the newest is a 88" pan with a1 1/2 belt. I also like the fact that the BDL clutch has a multi spring set up,,,,I found that the Primo clutch is NOT fun for a jockey shift,,,,,no adjustable spring pressure,,,this is my 2 cents
Dave

Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Rodney
Road Master

Never have ran a jockey shift... never will.
I like what steve was saying about how the pro clutch hub was put together, instead of the loose bearings on the hub to the drum the pro clutch is one large sealed bearing. Since I don't have one yet I am not sure exactly how it works but is said to be a sweet piece of engineering.

I have nothing against BDL but when the time comes to upgrade if my 95 CU brakes a belt or two I will not hesitate to go with the kevlar setup.
It would be nice if BDL would offer a kevlar bet for the 9 mm setup. that would be much less expensive to do.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 PM
panshovel4life
Advanced

My 2 cents are that Supermax makes the very best primary belt drive. Been running one for 17 yrs its been adjusted2 times in that 17 and showes very low wear on the belt, the front pulley, and the basket. Phill Ross of Supermax was really thinking when he got with Gates Rubber in the early 70's and started putting kevlar in motorcycle belts. As Phill would say BUY YOUR LAST BELT DRIVE, FIRST.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:59 AM
Rodney
Road Master

Primo, better late then never with the kevlar belt system.
thanks for the info on the superMax
I ran my fist belt on my shovel for 15 years or better it was a phase III.
It more than paid for itself and when I was done with it I sold it for 1/2 what I paid for it new all them years ago.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:24 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Running a Primo for several years with a jockey. Never had problems. Broke 1 belt on an old Shovel years ago. Had a Sporty with a belt, old gilmer square tooth type, and never broke it.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 AM
NotHere
Banned

Love to see some install pics.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:47 PM
southphillyed
Banned

Rodney...I had one on a pan and shubbel....with that dang noisey pro clutch...man what a set up, they work like a dream!!
If ya need any help,tips etc just shoot me an e-mail!!

Quick Reply: NEW Primo belt drive for Shovelheads!