Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

More pogo stick help please?

Old 09-25-2010, 01:00 PM
sigepecv
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool More pogo stick help please?

Ok i have the 77 fxe that i want to put a pogo stick in. the down tube is hollow all the way thru. What does the stick fasten to that keeps it from just falling out the bottom of the tube. Am I going to need to weld something to the bottom of the tube to keep the stick in place? thanks for the assistance in advance.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 AM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

The pogo has a threaded end to it. That end goes downward into the vertical frame member and the threaded end sticks out of the bottom through a hole, and then you put a nut on it. Are you saying the pogo drops to the ground when you put it in?

Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 AM
sigepecv
2nd Gear
Unhappy more information on pogo stick.

yes there is no hole on the bottom of the down tube for the nut to tighten up to. should there be a plate welded to the bottom of the tube? MY down tube is hollow the same size at the top all the way thru the bottom it measures 1 1/8 inches both top and bottom. thanks again.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:06 PM
sigepecv
2nd Gear
Post Anybody have any insite?

Still looking for answers to if i can mount a pogo stick seat in my 77 fxe with the down tube being the same size from top to bottom at 1 1/8 inch. how does the stick mount to the bottom of the shaft? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 PM
hawg farmer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, you'll need to weld something on the bottom,like maybe a thick bushing with the hole big enough for the threaded end of the pogo to slip through,weld it up good cuz she might buck you off if it hits the ground. another thought,is the pogo going to be the right diameter ? i could measer one i have laying around if ya have'nt bought one yet.
regards,
from me

Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 PM
sigepecv
2nd Gear

have not bought one yet so if you could measure one for me that would be much appreciated. I will need to get a stick so i can see what size bushing to weld on. thanks again.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,822 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Yep sounds like they didn't install the stop washers on the FX models , I've never bothered checking that before going to have check that one myself .

Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

your seat tube shouldnt go all the way thru.. only a 1/4 in hole the pogo bolt goes thru,then a big nut on bottom..sounds like you have an aftermarket frame or it was drilled out.. probly have to weld a plate or big washer to the bottom

Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by sigepecv
have not bought one yet so if you could measure one for me that would be much appreciated. I will need to get a stick so i can see what size bushing to weld on. thanks again.
Seat post bushing are available through J&P and V-Twin. Once you get them in place its just a matter of sizing them to fit

Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM
hawg farmer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used a tape to measure[could'nt spot my caliper] but its 1&16th or 1&32nd,so you'll be ok on that. the lenght should be ok, now if you weigh over 200 pounds like me, there adjustable to an extent,but i still bottomed out on a big bump,so i read a post that i guy put up about bottoming out and he took a valve spring off an engine[i used one from a small block chevy] and put it right over the post between the t-post and frame so when it goes down you'll have extra spring and takes the shock out of bottoming out. i have an air bag setup from a cop bike with tank that mounts in side bag,going to mount it this winter,im old so ill do what it takes, at any rate you'll enjoy the ride,and it will be worth it,you guys have a good day

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More pogo stick help please?