Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.
View Poll Results: is it worth $7,000.00?
Yes
24.44%
No
64.44%
other... please explain...
11.11%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

is it worth $7,000.00?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:38 AM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

>>Is it worth $7000?<<

If it's worth it to you, and you're not spending the rent and food money, then it is worth seven grand. The key being you want a birth year Harley and (just from looking at the photos) this one looks okay, and better than most. As Shovelheads approach classic status (when I bought my first Harley the same year this bike was built (1975) it was Panheads) I'd rather have the slabsided Shovel instead of an alternator one. And this one is what I consider one of the "blend" motors as the MOCO morphed between significant motor changes in small increments.

On the other hand it has some good points. This is an AMF bike (late 1969 to 1981) but being it's now almost 2011, and this bike is still on the road, it's a good bet if it had any issues they've already been addressed. And unless the world ends the bike market will eventually rebound and Shovelheads will always be sought after from the classic angle. That hasn't happened yet to Evos, and I'm pretty sure it'll never happen to Twin Cams, LOL!

Since the guy is firm on the price of 7 thousand (and probably having a tough time getting it these days) show him 65 Benjamins a week before Christmas and things might work out for all concerned. I'd like to have a birth year Harley too, but I'd have to find a 1954 model and I'd pay out the *** for it. And if you wait another twenty years so will you . . .

Last edited by NickD; 12-18-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:18 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 1,480 Posts

IMO...no. For that money I would expect it to be in pretty much stock condition. Not stock....paint, seat, bars, floorboards, all the skull ****, pipes, tool box, taillight.

If you are serious, you need to inspect vin and frame (matching). What has been done to the motor and tranny? Does he have receipts? (Sorry but saying that 'my best friend built it for me but he is dead now' just doesn't make the grade.)

At this point you have to figure it has been rebuilt at least once. Should be converted to no-lead. Take a look at the electrics. Think it can say a lot about his maintenance habits. Neat wiring versus wires running everywhere and cobbled together at the end.

He has 9500 into it means what? Price he paid for the bike plus the parts he added?

You looking for close to stock or customized (as this one appears)? There is a guy in Fairborn, Ohio that is selling his 75 shovel for 6k. Looks completely stock and has fairing and bags. He is the original owner.

In the end any bike is worth whatever agreed upon price between the buyer and the seller. Shovel and pan prices are down right now. What they went for a few years back means nothing in today's market (or for what they might go for once the economy comes back). Unless you are hung up with this one, I would say keep looking.

Last edited by panz4ever; 12-18-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:28 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't settle cuz yer tired of looking. If you do, you'll see a better one next week.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:59 PM
ROTTEN ROB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid 6 grand for my 76 FLH in California. Drove 3 hours to Fresno, rode her back home. Put about 2 grand into her. If I sold her,but hell hasn't froze over yet, I'd ask 7 for her. If you want it buy it! Is this your first Harley or Shovel?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts
Default Like it

If you like it and have the money (do not finance a hobby unless its your only drive) buy it. Probably should be able to do own work if you get this old. I bid 3 times that on a 1948 on ebay. (and lost) Bid on it since that was when I was born. Glad I lost since I was out of my mind that day.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-18-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:56 PM
CamFX
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Non original parts.... Seat, bars, gascaps, carb/aircleaner, timing cover, grips, shifter, toolbox, rear shocks, exhaust, flooboards, coilcover just to name a few, plus alot of stock parts are missing. But if that is the Bike you want, then the price is right. If you are buying it for investment purposes, then no. But if you plan on riding it and enjoying it then it would be helpful if you know how to work on it. It is a 35 year old bike and will need more work than any new bike. Not because its AMF, but because the technology for making thing like seals and gaskets and the metalurgy for things like bearings and rings has advanced so much over the years. Paying some one else to maintain it for you would take alot of joy out of ownership.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 PM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a really nice one.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:21 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with NickD. Make that offer of 6500 and keep lookin'. He is not goin' sell it soon at $7000. But it is up to you to decide if the bike is the one you really want and at what price.
And like you and NickD I would like to have a birth year HD. But a mostly stock 55 brings a good price.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
72FLH
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i chose other for a couple of reasons...my dad has a 72 flh electra glide and his was $6000 a year ago when i looked on nada, it leaks, needs tlc, and could use a paint job and a tune up...this one is nicer, but its not as original as my dads so id say 6500 or 6000 would be appropriate, hope all goes well Merry Christmas/ Happy Holidays Everyone!

Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Krutch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with camFX and NickD. It ain't original by far. He won't be selling it very soon. You will need to work on it, I can tell by the pic. And you don't know what shape the engine is in. Nor can you be sure how he road it. Leaks can be stopped and do not mean a whole lot. In fact no leaks might be a bad sign. As are too many. Shovels are good bikes and you can view my posts' about my opinion of them. But be prepared to put more money in this one after you aquire it, if you do. He MAY be asking too much, but that depends on whether or not the bike has been taken care of or buggered up by just getting by on maintainance. And also, as earlier noted, if you intend to keep and ride it or to sell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: is it worth $7,000.00?