Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1973 FX Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:55 AM
MoonCricket
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1973 FX Superglide

Greetins All, Today I purchased a 73 FX for $2,600. The bike is a true basket case, meaning it is in like 10 different boxes. The guy I purchased the bike from did a cut and weld job on the frame turning it into a rigid (actually a very nice job done on a frame jig) The bike is stock aside from the frame and SS shorty. The frame and case VIN#'s match and a few extras were included (39 ford spare tire holder for a rear fender, new ape hangers and a new front rim) The guy orig. wanted $2,800 and I got him down to $2,600. One thing though, going into the buy I thought it was a 73 FLH and after a VIN search on the net it turned out to be an FX, and I only wanted to spend $2,000. Considering the conditions what are some opinions out there. Thanks and Happy 2011

Attached Thumbnails 1973 FX Superglide-img_1789.jpg   1973 FX Superglide-img_1790.jpg   1973 FX Superglide-img_1791.jpg   1973 FX Superglide-img_1792.jpg   1973 FX Superglide-img_1793.jpg  

Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like what I started with.
Now the fun begins...start disassembling, cleaning, repaint, re-chrome, replacing the worn bits etc. I took my time and it took a couple of years to find parts I needed at swap meets etc. Get a couple of manuals to help you with the build.

I just finished my second rebuild of my bike, 20yrs later...and many miles.

It is fun building these old bikes.

s

Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,245 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by scottfisher
Looks like what I started with.
...start disassembling, cleaning, repaint, re-chrome, replacing the worn bits etc. I took my time and it took a couple of years to find parts I needed at swap meets etc. Get a couple of manuals to help you with the build.
+1...

Always good to start with frame components to make it a roller. Have frame put in a jig to ensure it is straight and true and have your machinist check the weld on the *** end to make sure it was done properly (though from the pic is sure looks clean)

Good parts and shop manual. I prefer HD only; others prefer Clymers or Haynes for shop manual. Good thing is that the motor is apart so saves the tear down on that end.

At some point ya gotta decide on pumping up the motor or keepin it stock. Everyone has an opinion on motor size. But I think there is a point in a Yakasaki Eater, Super Duper, Bersrker Build that engine longevity comes into question without using something like S&S cases and components. But hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Tranny has a lot of moving parts but is actually just assembly by following instructions. Shop manuals are good but Chopper mag from years ago had an article with a pimply-faced kid who did a rebuild on his ratchet top that I still think is the best step-by-step instruction with pics and good explanation.

Theres an old adage that 'chrome won't get you home' so making it look pretty can take a back seat to getting it running and on the road. Course if you have time and money then you are one of the fortunate ones. Same applies to paint. Rattle can black can often get you extra riding time until you get enough saved up for a paint job you really want.

At any rate looks like all-in-all you did well for the price and what you got. As you progress in the build, be sure to take pics of over all (like your initial pics) and detailed photos showing things like any numbers on the various components. helps if you need to replace something and if, somewhere down the road you show it or sell it you have a detailed picture reference.

Talk to folks in your area and find a good inide that knows and understands shovels. Understand your own limitations on the build and ask questions. There are other forums as well that can offer advice so don't limit yourself to a s ingle reference point.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:55 PM
MoonCricket
Cruiser

Thanks Fellas, will do

Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 AM
MoonCricket
Cruiser
Default Help

I am trying to determine if the flywheel is a 74" or 80", The engine had some work done, Example..the cam is Andrews A...the connecting rods are SS.....and the heads are dual plug, I have #'s, one side of the flywheel is 23945-41 and the other side has two sets of #' 23923-70A and 62274...any help would be great, Thanks

Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM
MoonCricket
Cruiser

I may have answered my own question, think the flywheel is stock OEM 74"

Old 01-03-2011, 11:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,050 Likes on 17,529 Posts

That's how I brought mine home 28 yrs ago , 8 months and house fire later she rolled out as a seriously on the cheap hardtail with a lot of hand made and hand me down parts form buddies junk piles . I got lucky and had completely done the motor before it became a nickle and dime hunt for everything . Same bike in my sig pic today , been a few face lifts along the way of course .

Then ,

Now ,