Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Classic > Shovelhead
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

P

Old 05-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Hang Around
Default backfire through carb.....timing to advanced?

1200cc with electronic ignition and s+s super "e". Bike runs strong. Kick starts o.k. When idling down to slow down, upon twisting throttle I get a cough through carb on returning to acceleration. Wondering if timing is to advanced or too retarded. Motor runs 200 degree oil temp when warmed up. Would this also be due to ignition being too advanced?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM
One Of The Regulars

Could be a intake leak, check the bands and clamps on carb. That will make her run lean and heat things up. My 76 with an oil cooler, runs around 185. What do you mean by kick starts ok? The 73 I had ,3 prime strokes, turn ign. on, fired on first kick. If it's a bear to kick it could very well be out of time.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Hang Around

Thanx for feedback Rotten! No oil cooler here. Plugs are tan. If she's warmed up she fires on first kick but when she cools down it takes a few kicks. Bike runs like a bear other than that lo-idle cough. I'll have to check out intake. If its o.k. you think timing is too advanced or retarded?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:50 PM
One Of The Regulars

If she runs great and the plugs look good,I don't think it's a timing issue. Check for air leaks.I also run a S&S SUPER E. Love it!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Hang Around

I am with Rotten. Check for air leaks. I had the same issue with mine, same carb. It would sneeze through the carb going down the road.
I used a can of carb cleaner with the straw to pinpoint the leak. It was the intake gaskets, they just needed to be reset and tightened.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Hang Around
Cool

Intake leak until proven otherwise.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Hang Around

when sprayed with carb-clean will motor idle up if there is intake leak? Also there is no sneeze(cough) until engine is up to temp. Which is considerably hot! 210 degrees. Would this hi-temp also be a result of intake leak. (I have no oil-cooler, and cylinders have been punched out 60 over) Thanx again fellas for the input.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:39 PM

P

Tags
1976, accel, advanced, back, backfire, backfires, carb, carburator, davidson, firing, harley, light, shovelhead, ss, throu, timing