Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

What am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM
booze hound
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default What am I getting into?

Hi there-

I have recently run across a 1974 Superglide that a guy I work with is planning to sell. Have not had a chance to ask him many questions about the bike, but I knew I wanted to come here to ask the pros some thoughts and solicit some insights.......below is the info I have for now and I plan to ask more questions before I pursue any further based on comments received here.

1) been trying to figure out what this motor is built to.......88"? 93"? Less?
2) he is asking $7300........seems a bit high to me but see below and see if it seems fair......bike is supposed to be in good shape and he has had it quite a long time.
3) what are the watch outs I should be asking about? With this motor built like it is, how likely is it to be reliable and have a good service life? What am I getting into if I buy this bike? I'm not afraid to wrench a bit but not a mechanic either.

From the seller:
I have the receipts from ~1996 when I spend over $12K on the ground-up rebuild. The only thing I know it needs is new tires, since they are now 19 years old.

It's a stroker motor with 30 over pistons and a 4-3/4 inch stroke. It's a strong, fast ride but not an interstate bike. Also, a great 4-speed transmission with Andrews close ratio gears.

GMA brakes, collector headers, straight pipes available but not attached. Kick or electric start. Requires a high amp battery to turn over the stroker kit. Just 7500 miles on the odometer since the 1996 rebuild.

Thanks for your time.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

That motor is a 93"or 96" I forget which as a stock 74 has 3 7/16" bore x 4" stroke and an 80" has a 3 1/2" bore x 4 1/4" stroke. She won't be a long lived one I'm afraid , while a long stroke like that is a bundle of fun as a stop light bike the pistons tend to go away around 25 to 30,000 miles and the valve train really take a beating in them. If you don't have good mechanical skills and have some back ground with these old machines I would suggest that one isn't a good choice for you as stroker motors take a lot of care & attention and there isn't that many places around who have a clue anymore on how to deal with one.

You can try S&S or Truett & Osborne websites and do some reading on their stroker kits, should be able to match the 4 3/4" flywheels to the CI size that way.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:31 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

if its a 3 1/2 bore the cylinders are done at .030 no pistons are available after that size - pistons are over 300 a set plus the cylinders and S&S is the only ones you want as shrapnel from china jugs will change your life forever if you dont get killed on it when not if it blows up

Old 06-30-2015, 09:32 PM
booze hound
Cruiser

Sorry guys for the tardy reply.

Thanks very much for the feedback and info.

I failed to mention that this wouldn't be a primary bike for me but rather just something that cought my interest and sounded fun. I like older bikes but don't have any experience with them and thought this might be a fun addition to the stable. A 40 year old hot rod shovel isn't something you run across very often, at least not around here.

Really not sure about a fair price for this bike either. I'm thinking its a bit high but can understand the sellers thoughts considering the $$ he has in it. Any thoughts on price? Fair?

Still in the "maybe" stage, but leaning toward "no"

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:04 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Price is high for your area but guys with those types of sled always shoot for the stars . What the condition of the rest of the bike ? Nice & clean or a bit tired looking ? Priced to sell doesn't matter what he's spent , you build like that you know you can't recover that money. Haunt Craigs List and ebay for some pricing on shovels around you say a couple hundred miles out.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-30-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:39 PM
booze hound
Cruiser

Thanks TZ.......I think I'll stick with what I have for now. Got an Evo that need some attention. Thanks again for the insight.