Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil cooler nessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Harbri
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler nessary?

On my 1975 shovelhead is it nessary to have a oil cooler,when i bought mind used it had one on the frount,not very big about 3 inches by 6 inches. Thanks HARBRI.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:23 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

What kind of temps you running in and how heavy the oil ? Real hot out a cooler helps , gives you a little extra oil capacity too .

Old 11-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are they necessary no. Are they a good idea yes. As already mentioned they add some capacity. Cooler oil lasts longer,cooler oil=cooler motor so the engine lasts longer. A thermostat operated one would be best. Then the oil isn't cooled unnecessarily,keeps the whole oiling system more consistent. When riding down the road you don't need it but stuck in traffic the 10 row fan assisted jagg is the best one I have seen

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Are they necessary no. Are they a good idea yes. As already mentioned they add some capacity. Cooler oil lasts longer,cooler oil=cooler motor so the engine lasts longer. A thermostat operated one would be best. Then the oil isn't cooled unnecessarily,keeps the whole oiling system more consistent. When riding down the road you don't need it but stuck in traffic the 10 row fan assisted jagg is the best one I have seen
It's hotter than a teenage hooker in Costa Rica unless he's in the mountains , Thermostat would be less than useless .

Old 11-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
It's hotter than a teenage hooker in Costa Rica unless he's in the mountains , Thermostat would be less than useless .
Hehehe. Fair enough. How about in the temperate climate I live in a thermostat controlled one would be better. In the hotter than hooker costa rican climate a thermostat is dead weigh and as twisted pointed out less than useless.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Hehehe. Fair enough. How about in the temperate climate I live in a thermostat controlled one would be better. In the hotter than hooker costa rican climate a thermostat is dead weigh and as twisted pointed out less than useless.
Your world your on the money for a shovel and unless your in the central plains up there a cooler would a nice option but not a fact of life . I used to run a big external add on oil filter on the back leg of my old hardtail shovel out in the midwest , got the cooler effect and almost a quart extra for oil .

Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya I am in the mid west of the Canadian prairie. Only in the dead heat of the summer would I even need one otherwise no. I have an 08 dyna. She runs a bit hot and I was thinking about a cooler but the 400 they cost cuts into my 106 Bore bore and cams fund. Twizted. Every post I read of yours is pretty good,you know bikes for sure. It might hit 100 for a month up here. Would I even need one on a 96. Sorry to thread jack and you can answer in a pm or I will just check back here. Thank TB

Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Ya I am in the mid west of the Canadian prairie. Only in the dead heat of the summer would I even need one otherwise no. I have an 08 dyna. She runs a bit hot and I was thinking about a cooler but the 400 they cost cuts into my 106 Bore bore and cams fund. Twizted. Every post I read of yours is pretty good,you know bikes for sure. It might hit 100 for a month up here. Would I even need one on a 96. Sorry to thread jack and you can answer in a pm or I will just check back here. Thank TB
That motor and those temps do it , cheap investment to maintain your investment . Those are hot to start and inchs ramp up the heat bro , the more oil you can into circulation the better .

No jack just sharing the knowledge .

Only place I've been flatter than your hood was deep Siberia , while you aren't quit the middle of nowhere your a close neighbor to it . LOL

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-06-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Harbri
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, the temp runs around 65 to 75 F, we are up at 4500 ft,in the mountians of costa rica.Harbri

Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Harbri
Thanks for the info guys, the temp runs around 65 to 75 F, we are up at 4500 ft,in the mountians of costa rica.Harbri

Your gold up in the rain forest area beautiful country there , cooler isn't needed but won't hurt . I used to put a leather cover over mine when it go cool out .

The following users liked this post:
greasy1971 (01-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Oil cooler nessary?