Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

bad clutch or Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:24 AM
pbsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad clutch or Tranny?

I've been repairing an 81flt (5 speed) for about two weeks, and after getting the back half of the bike rebuilt, new brakes, removing the oil bath, and other standard maintenance for a bike that's been sitting for 2 years (oil change, tranny fluid change, brake fluid, new gas, plugs, hoses etc, the bike fires up just fine, and when shifting into first gear, I can hear and feel the shifter working, and when the engine is off, I can also hear and feel the shifter clicking into 1st, neutral, and 2nd gear. however the bike just won't move. I can let out the clutch and she keeps running, so I'm not sure where to begin trying to find this problem.
I believe I've narrowed it down to the clutch or Tranny, and will pull the primary cover to make sure all is right in there, Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who may have had this issue and what they found the problem to be.

Also, I'm wondering about how much the lever on your clutch moves when you pull the clutch in, mine seems to turn just a small amount, less than 1/12 of a rotation. Just wanted to see if that's normal on a stock clutch, I've only ridden and worked on suzuki's and sport bikes up to this point.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 AM
DcDaniels
Stage III

I would bet its your clutch, have you ever taken the clutch apart. I would rebuild the clutch making sure nothing is getting hung up on anything.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 AM
waldhorn
Cruiser

Damn, There are so many issues. Clutch sounds bad, or out of adjustment. There are no 5 speeds on a 81 unless you are talking about an Iron. Please be a little more specific on your exact bike. You need to check the clutch adjustment on the cable and the primary. Sounds like you know what you are doing, however, this can be from many problems. Fluid, seals, ...never mind It's probably not the tranny

Old 03-18-2012, 06:27 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by waldhorn
Damn, There are so many issues. Clutch sounds bad, or out of adjustment. There are no 5 speeds on a 81
Yah the FLT's had the 5 in 1980 , was the first year for rubber band frame . Wasn't a lot of them around .

OP can you put the bike in gear while off and still roll it or does the bike just rock a bit ? Going to need a little more info to give you a real idea what to look for . What happens when the bikes running ? Making any noise , how does the clutch lever feel ? How does the clutch act & feel then ,like does it have some drag on it or nothing ?

That tranny had the taper shaft with the key and I believe the old 4 sp clutch setup still which is pretty bullet proof unless you loose the key and the clutch pac spins on the shaft but that will make a lot of noise running and vibration pretty good .

Those had the arm still for the throw out bearing , they hadn't gone to the cam yet so maybe loosen the cable a bit and get a little free play on the clutch lever you should have 1/8" or a bit more gap where the lever meets the housing before it get tight .

Pop the cover off and look and let us know please .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 03-18-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM
pbsteve
Intermediate

Thanks twizted, The bike will roll when it's in gear, in fact I can roll it out of the garage just fine when in gear, its as If the rear tire wont engage. The clutch like I said is very tough. In fact I'm on my way to get a new clutch cable and lever housing, pulling the clutch in actually broke the housing on the handlebars last night... Granted its 30 years old, but still.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

One of 2 things either the clutch hub is loose and turning on the mainshaft or the sprocket stripped out but that ones real rare for the chain sprockets . Pop the cover and see wants up in the primary at this point .

And I gotta ask is it a belt primary maybe ?

Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
pbsteve
Intermediate

No this is a chain primary. I'll be changing to all belts next winter anyway, just less mess to deal with. The previous owners seemed to not really care too much about the bike though, a lot of mismatched bolts, missing screws on the body work, No upgrades of any kind except for custom straight pipes, and a fatboy gas tank.
Sadly I got stuck working till 7 today. I'll get back to wrenching and cleaning and tuning tonight an see what's really going on. I've ordered new clutch plates anyway. I figure even if they aren't bad. When they do go, I'd like to not have to wait a week for them.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:02 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Forgot to put the 1/2 moon key on the mainshaft (done that drunk once), Adjustment screw too far in, clutch lever arm sheered on the fork shaft at the throwout bearing. (right side) (or missing) Forgot that one on the same night I forgot the 1/2 moon key.........

Old 03-18-2012, 07:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by AlCherry
Forgot to put the 1/2 moon key on the mainshaft (done that drunk once), Adjustment screw too far in, clutch lever arm sheered on the fork shaft at the throwout bearing. (right side) (or missing) Forgot that one on the same night I forgot the 1/2 moon key.........
Now I'm wondering if it's been apart and maybe somebody didn't stagger the rattle springs on the steels , seen a couple of those over the years .

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
pbsteve
Intermediate

Well it was ridden just fine 2 years ago. The friend I bought it from put it away for winter in 09 and it just sat since. I'm guessing it's just seized up after the sit. But with the Harley manual in hand I'll check all of that too

Quick Reply: bad clutch or Tranny?