Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

belt

Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
berndog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt

Well, I love how my bike rides now,however,this primary belt is just shredding up,dont know how I installed it wrong,its a Karata drive,not supposed to have an idler,but I put one in because it just seemed too loose,I'm thinking maybe belt was too big?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:29 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

1st ya need to check the alignment of the belt. they make shims that fit behind the motor sprocket.. check and see if the belt is cocked.. 2nd the belt shouldnt be tight needs up/down play. if not it wont last very long.. 3rd the biggest problem i had with belt drives is clutch shell walk.. if it feels "grabby" when you take off thats a sign of it. theres a few fixes for that also.. best clutchs i ever used were the kevlar ones made for dry use. it tells you to soak the plates in tranny oil. "do NOT soak them" install them dry.. i also found that putting a A/C "O" ring on the plush rod behind the hub nut and another one on the outside helps to keep and leakage of tranny fluid onto the plates.. i use the belt drive that has the idler.. --- belt drive motor sprocket drive is a 23 1/2 not a 24 -- i run a belt drive and a 22 tranny and a 47 rear on a 80".
i use the BDL belt drive -- never had an issue.. other than the "grabby" clutch and i solved that.. i can put it in gear and theres no big loud KLUNK smmmoooooth action and take off.. i also use the long rollers and the ramjett shell retainer.. i found that if you take the tin that holds the old bearing retainer in place and grind off the lip.. then use the special mylar they give you to hold the bearings in place-- then install the ground tin-- then you have to set the end play of the shell to .010. it comes with shims to do this.. remember this -- you HAVE to remove the shell every now and then with a belt drive to re- grease the rollers. if not it will lock and you will have no clutch action.. i do it every 4 months.. dont OVER grease it or it will get all over the first clutch plate you installed..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
11sec.shovel
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thinkin its the idler. was the kit for your specific bike.how loose is loose? it may seem loose when cold. check deflection when hot. this is an open belt drive? pictures would help

Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
berndog
Tourer

Actually its closed

Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by berndog
Well, I love how my bike rides now,however,this primary belt is just shredding up,dont know how I installed it wrong,its a Karata drive,not supposed to have an idler,but I put one in because it just seemed too loose,I'm thinking maybe belt was too big?
Just my opinion as I dont have much experience with belt primarys... First, lose the idler. If it didn't come with one it was designed to run without. Second, you need to recheck your pulley alignment. That is critical to belt life. So is reducing heat in the primary case. I hope you have it vented because the heat will cut your belt life considerable.
I cant remember how to do it, but the instructions should have the procedure to align the pulleys.
Good luck!
jim

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I agree with venting the primary. I had a vented one an belt lived a long happy life.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:17 PM
berndog
Tourer

So,yes I lost the idler,,and if it still shreds I will realign,,maybe shim up the front pulley,,and I installed diamond hole vented inspection and derby covers,,now another,,probelem I'm having is it chirps and surges at the same time at low revs,if I keep revs up,it doesnt do it,,and I also replaced the shifter linkage bushing,thinking it would correct the slop,,but I have to pull upon shifter in order to down shift,,scratchin my head again,,,God I love this site.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer

The chirping sounds like your belt rubbin on something. Which means you will still probably need to check pulley alignment.
Did you install a Ram Jett retainer on your clutch hub? That's the plastic piece that fits over the clutch lugs before you install any plates. It's held in place with 3 clips that you can adjust. You'll want a little 'play' in the hub (in and out).
When you get done with this project you'll know enough to help others with the problems you are learning about right now!! There's always something with a shovel. But it's worth it!
jim

Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 AM
berndog
Tourer

No I didn't install that Jim ,I'll have to try that ,yes think I need to realign,,there's a constant whistle too,wich I think is in my brand new top end

Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
msgtarmor
Tourer

There's gonna be alot of noise that sounds foreign since you've vented the primary. You'll just have to make sure they are not caused from a problem, then get used to them. Kinda like it's singing it's happy song to ya!! Then when it gets outta 'key' you know it's tellin ya there's a problem.
If the bike is running good, I wouldn't be concerned about the whistle. I have no idea what is causing that. My road king custom does that but it's something to do with the nacelle shape and windshield. Not anything you will encounter on your shovel.
jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: belt