Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

I'm just sayin'... (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:17 PM
44caliberkid
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm just sayin'... (rant)

Ok, so I finally decide on a remote spin on filter for my '75 Shovel and while I'm at it the accessory chrome oil tank is leaking, so I decide to put the stocker (black one) back on. It came with the boxes of take offs I got with the bike. The return spigot on the chrome tank has a hole in it where it 's brazed to the tank. I'll fix it some day.
So I take off the battery, battery box, rear exhaust, unbolt the tank and it exits out the right side. I install the new (old) tank, rig the new hoses for the remote filter and start hooking everything back up. The end of the feed line looks a little narly at the pump, but WTF, I button everything up, fill her with oil and take off down the road. The filter isn't leaking, neither is my return line, so I park the bike. The next morning I have a premonition that I'm going to open the garage door and there will be the bike, sitting in a puddle of oil, and that's exactly what happened. I applied kitty litter to the puddle, added a little more oil, and traced the leak to the narly feed line end. So, new feed line on Tuesday.
Also discovered that the rear exhaust flange bolt is stripped. Think I'll go ahead and run it through the summer, but head has to come off this winter. And if I'm pulling one I might as well pull both. And while they're off I might as well get the no lead guides. And if I'm sending them off for that I may as well have them ported. Do you see where this is going? I love Shovelheads.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Artlee
Outstanding HDF Member

So, I am learning what you mean 44, as I recently bought my first shovel ( and third FXR ). There are things I want to do and, more importantly, things that I Need to do to the shovel. Yesterday, I had to be somewhere fast. I jumped on my Evo, and hammered it out and back. Smooth as silk.
I'm going to get the $hovel running right, it'll just take a while. Good luck 44.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,830 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by 44caliberkid
Ok, so I finally decide on a remote spin on filter for my '75 Shovel and while I'm at it the accessory chrome oil tank is leaking, so I decide to put the stocker (black one) back on. It came with the boxes of take offs I got with the bike. The return spigot on the chrome tank has a hole in it where it 's brazed to the tank. I'll fix it some day.
So I take off the battery, battery box, rear exhaust, unbolt the tank and it exits out the right side. I install the new (old) tank, rig the new hoses for the remote filter and start hooking everything back up. The end of the feed line looks a little narly at the pump, but WTF, I button everything up, fill her with oil and take off down the road. The filter isn't leaking, neither is my return line, so I park the bike. The next morning I have a premonition that I'm going to open the garage door and there will be the bike, sitting in a puddle of oil, and that's exactly what happened. I applied kitty litter to the puddle, added a little more oil, and traced the leak to the narly feed line end. So, new feed line on Tuesday.
Also discovered that the rear exhaust flange bolt is stripped. Think I'll go ahead and run it through the summer, but head has to come off this winter. And if I'm pulling one I might as well pull both. And while they're off I might as well get the no lead guides. And if I'm sending them off for that I may as well have them ported. Do you see where this is going? I love Shovelheads.
Run a stud instead of a bolt for the exhaust flange , I fix a lot of those for guys and do not helicoil it waste of time and good chance it'll crack the flange edge .

I use what they call a step stud , it's 2 sizes 5/16" on one side and 3/8" on the other and tap the head to the 3/8" you can do it on the bike and it'll hold forever .

Old 05-28-2012, 01:25 PM
44caliberkid
Intermediate

Twisted, thanks for the tip on the stud.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:50 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

for people who want a REAL exhaust flange i make a 3/4" flange cut the old 1 bolt off and tig the new flange on and then make a matching steel flange for their pipe.. the exhaust gasket for a mitsubishi 3.0 liter fits the flange and has a seal ring..

its NOT for everyone because you have to remove the heads and ya also have to either chrome or rechrome your pipes -- BUT ya never ever have problems again.. i install a steel insert and a 5/16 stud... done a bunch of them on pans and shovels... tig welding a harley head ISNT for every welder -- its gotta be clean,clean,clean and heated up-- i use a arc-time electrode and a #4L tip -- looks goood when done and 2 nice chrome round head nuts look clean...

"but for the regular guy twisted's tip works perfect -- for those who want the stock 1 bolt i have welded the old hole up and re tapped them to 5/16 --

Old 10-29-2012, 07:55 AM
CTPhil
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Run a stud instead of a bolt for the exhaust flange , I fix a lot of those for guys and do not helicoil it waste of time and good chance it'll crack the flange edge .

I use what they call a step stud , it's 2 sizes 5/16" on one side and 3/8" on the other and tap the head to the 3/8" you can do it on the bike and it'll hold forever .

That tip has been bouncing around in my head ever since you posted it, great idea! Do you have a favorite place to get those? In addition to my shovel, I'm hooked on restoring old L model Gravely tractors, which have exactly the same exhaust bolt issues and sizes. Do you ever get them in stainless? Thanks!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 44caliberkid
And whats the problem?