Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead rigid frame? FL,FLH,FX, Electra glide etc etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 AM
nickmarieke
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead rigid frame? FL,FLH,FX, Electra glide etc etc

Good day Harley members,

I am totally new into Harley's, always and still have ridden only Ducati's.
Now I'd like to built my own Harley Rigid.
It must be a shovelhead, so after a little research on the net, I have found that the FX models are easy to weld a hard tail on it.
But now it comes, I am looking for a good frame are the frames from the models FL, FLH, FX, electra glide, etc etc, say from 1966 till 1983 the same?

Gr, Nick (NL)

Old 09-18-2012, 08:43 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Personaly, I think you should go with a aftermarket frame rather than butcher a stock frame. There are a lot of great frame builders out there, and the prices are reasonable. I'm sure there in the Netherlands there are really good frame builders. You can get frames in a variety of metals from steel to moly. Many aftermarket frames leave enough room for stroker motors. A little internet research should get you going in the right direction.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,918 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Man you can pick up a nice hardtail frame under $700 anywhere today and sales around $550 or less . Go that way don't chop a stock frame they are getting to be a bear to find for us guys who still need them occasionally .

Old 09-19-2012, 12:22 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

If NL is like Italy (where I come from) it is a PITA to deal with anything that ino non STOCK oe EU approved.
He probably need a clean frame/engine combo

Over here in the States is SO easy to build almost anything,,, pick up this frame, this engine, do this, do that, minimal paperwork.... you don't know how lucky you guys are!!!

Anyway...I am going through the same here... since it's too easy to build a custom HD, chopper, etc...I looke for a matcing numbers clean shovel.. orginal frame, ok runner.
I will build a chopper but want to keep the frame OEM... have a bolt on rigid for it. I want my bike to be a REAL HD...not just a bunch of parts that look like an HD

Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,918 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by V_twins
If NL is like Italy (where I come from) it is a PITA to deal with anything that ino non STOCK oe EU approved.
He probably need a clean frame/engine combo

Over here in the States is SO easy to build almost anything,,, pick up this frame, this engine, do this, do that, minimal paperwork.... you don't know how lucky you guys are!!!

Anyway...I am going through the same here... since it's too easy to build a custom HD, chopper, etc...I looke for a matcing numbers clean shovel.. orginal frame, ok runner.
I will build a chopper but want to keep the frame OEM... have a bolt on rigid for it. I want my bike to be a REAL HD...not just a bunch of parts that look like an HD

No such thing as a bolt on hardtail for a shovel sorry it's hack and weld all the way , you can do a bolt on with the old sportsters and brits that's about it

Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AlCherry
Personaly, I think you should go with a aftermarket frame rather than butcher a stock frame. There are a lot of great frame builders out there, and the prices are reasonable. I'm sure there in the Netherlands there are really good frame builders. You can get frames in a variety of metals from steel to moly. Many aftermarket frames leave enough room for stroker motors. A little internet research should get you going in the right direction.

I 2nd that -- theres LOTS of ridged frames on fleabay

Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
V_twins
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
No such thing as a bolt on hardtail for a shovel sorry it's hack and weld all the way , you can do a bolt on with the old sportsters and brits that's about it
There IS one... It's in my garage right now

Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Bromios
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do this in english because otherwise the rest won't understand my dutch.

If you go for a 4-speed frame you have to go 1985 or before. The 1986 fl models are rubber mounted evo with an ugly square backbone.

But if you go to L&L ore a company like that they can give you advice on how they do this and get it road ready.

Good luck

Old 09-19-2012, 12:12 PM
V_twins
Road Captain

this is not mine... but this is the kit:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-zela2pjmYcQ/T1...5B4%25255D.jpg

Quick Reply: Shovelhead rigid frame? FL,FLH,FX, Electra glide etc etc