Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Questions

Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Questions

1978 shovel -- a bud brought me his bike because hes having problems -- when i took the rotor off of the stator the magnet slid 1/2 way out -- what holds the magnet in place??

#2 the oil seal where the timkin bearings go on the sprocket shaft -- does it face in or out? they have it where i can see the spring and the open side of the seal is facing out -- its a closed primary oil feed shut off -- 1 cup of bel-ray primary oil --

its a stock 80" engine and someone put a sifton #109 it for engine 86" up to 93" now i know what it was always dead and had no power ..

the tiny seal that goes in the main drive gear (4th) and seals the main shaft was out and the rubber seal gone -- doesnt look to good inside the 4th gear like it rattled around -- i have to get a new seal and see if it fits tight -- if not out comes the tranny --

they had a 74 main jet and a 295 idle and its a stock 80" at sea level with god awful mile long fish tail pipes .. should be a 70 and a 31 or since the pipes are so long maybe a smaller idle ..

had those aluminum big diameter push rods well you know they are junk -- yup rub marks every where ..

he got a 24 on the tranny and a 48 on the rear --- lol lol the case has deep deep grooves cut in it from the chain -- i leaks oil from there also --

geezzeee and he thought it ran great...

Old 10-30-2012, 06:48 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

OK, Hustler. No one else has jumped on this one, so my question is.....This is the questions the owner asked you, right?
Inside the rotor, there is a spring wire that needs to be removed. Then carefully remove the magnets with a screwdriver. Careful is the word. They break real easy, and you are off to someones parts pile for another rotor.
The flat face of the mainshaft oil seal goes out. (The crankshaft seal faces in towards the wheels.)
BTW, while you have the tranny seal out, make sure that the little microscopic "L" key is in place that locks the mainshaft and the spacer in place.

Last edited by AlCherry; 10-30-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,810 Likes on 17,447 Posts

Buddy has a 78 that the rotor did the same thing on , tried to reset it with an industrial epoxy and the magnets came loose again 6 months down the road . Find another rotor you want an older one they are held in with a brass cage & screws instead of glue and the splined boss for the mainshaft is thicker .

Chances are if the mini seal has popped out the bushing in the main gear is gone but you know that already don't yah ?

Long *** fish tails on a shovel suck ***** , you find the right jet combo for those on a shovel please clue me because I've never been able to . Good luck on that one .

Sprockets wise 23/48 is the sweet spot , the damage was probably done before that combo with little or no chain maintenance .

Actually your buddies bike isn't in that bad a shape compared to some of the heaps my broke *** buds drag by here occasionally LOL

Good luck partner , I feel yah .

Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by biginchhustler
1978 shovel -- a bud brought me his bike because hes having problems -- when i took the rotor off of the stator the magnet slid 1/2 way out -- what holds the magnet in place??

#2 the oil seal where the timkin bearings go on the sprocket shaft -- does it face in or out? they have it where i can see the spring and the open side of the seal is facing out -- its a closed primary oil feed shut off -- 1 cup of bel-ray primary oil --

its a stock 80" engine and someone put a sifton #109 it for engine 86" up to 93" now i know what it was always dead and had no power ..

the tiny seal that goes in the main drive gear (4th) and seals the main shaft was out and the rubber seal gone -- doesnt look to good inside the 4th gear like it rattled around -- i have to get a new seal and see if it fits tight -- if not out comes the tranny --

they had a 74 main jet and a 295 idle and its a stock 80" at sea level with god awful mile long fish tail pipes .. should be a 70 and a 31 or since the pipes are so long maybe a smaller idle ..

had those aluminum big diameter push rods well you know they are junk -- yup rub marks every where ..

he got a 24 on the tranny and a 48 on the rear --- lol lol the case has deep deep grooves cut in it from the chain -- i leaks oil from there also --

geezzeee and he thought it ran great...
Take some pics. Makes me feel better about issues ive had.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

pics and more descriptive idea of whats going on -- update -- the main shaft in the tranny is gouged where the tiny seal goes -- when and took a closer look with old peoples glasses and where the "L" key goes it has a crack going inboard -- mainshaft and 4th gear are junk -- the seal was out and the rubber part was gone --

Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Oh goodie sounds like you may have a bent mainshaft on your hands , bikes been beat on those gears are hard to break unless somebody already did aftermarket junk in it .

Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

whats funny as hell-- i let him ride my bike-- and i said see the difference?? he actually said i'll give ya a run for the money?? "HUH???

hes got a cam for a 93" in a 80" engine and its one of those siftons that you have to check the gear and its off by 1/2 tooth-- its geared 24 x 48 the carb is wayyyyy to rich -- 40 mile long fish tails lol lol lol

Old 10-31-2012, 06:17 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

You got a big *** can of worms on your hands man you know he's run the ragged hell outa that bike the way he's talking already , soon as you open her it's gonna be one " Now what the Fuc ?? " monent right after another .

3 of my partners bike's all 78 & 79's where just like that , finally come to get a little help and they were all ******* to appetite rebuilds . Everything rigged , busted or missing ......................

Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master

twiz i need a 2:44 geat set for it -- he cant swing the hi priced spread maybe the 400 to 500 set know any place?? CCI revtech

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master

actually he hasnt had the bike long-- its the dude he got the bike from -- hes just kinda mild - he oesnt even want a big power maker just a bar hopper-- i think it would kill him if he hd to ride it like around lake pontchatrain. i dont think it was him. he showed m reciepts for stuff and some of the stuf isnt even on the bike so the last sop ripped him off ..

im gonna get those fishy tails cut down.. maybe 40"pipes with fish tips - the rear 48t sprocket is so worn its pointy --

he did do good job of wiring it from scratch but thats what he does for a living some type of specialty electronics...

right now its finding a gear set..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions