Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Classic > Shovelhead
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

P

Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Default Motor oil

What type of oil are people using,1975 shovelhead ,at the moment i have 25/60 in the motor,#30 in primary,temp here are constant,68F 75 F.Just did a complete rebiuld.Harbri
Old 04-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Road Warrior

if that works for you and than that fine

i would use ATF trans fluid in the primary as motor oil on the clutch with the type of paper they use today, will make netural a thing to get
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
Old 04-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

What is 25/60 ?

For a shovelhead always use straight weight oil in the motor , 50 is ok for your temp range if it get over 90 go to 60 and what John said either dextronII ATF or primary oil in the primary and you only need about 1/3 qt .

If you haven't been to the edge your just a tourist in life's cheap seats .

When you think your day can't suck any worse remember somewhere somebodies job is making *****'s
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Road Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker View Post
What is 25/60 ?

For a shovelhead always use straight weight oil in the motor , 50 is ok for your temp range if it get over 90 go to 60 and what John said either dextronII ATF or primary oil in the primary and you only need about 1/3 qt .
Always used SAE60 in the summer, SAE50 in the winter in my '78 FXEF. Primary oil in the primary. Also made the mod to the primary chain lube orifice tube so the oil actually squirts on the chain and not out to the inside of the outer cover.

"Ruby" '06 ULTRA, 88CI. Fire Red Pearl and Vivid Black. V&H. Big Sucker. PCIII. XM (LOVE). BT 7.1, RF 300X2.

"MARK IT ZERO!!!"
Old 04-19-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbri View Post
What type of oil are people using,1975 shovelhead ,at the moment i have 25/60 in the motor,#30 in primary,temp here are constant,68F 75 F.Just did a complete rebiuld.Harbri
Use straight HD 60 wt unless you ride where the temps drop below 35-40 degrees, then use HD 50 wt.

If your primary isn't isolated, don't worry about adding oil to the primary, it'll be lubed from the motor oil. If the primary is isolated and running a primary chain just add a few oz of your motor oil.

The way I see it. The oil is the blood line of any motor. The stock shovelheads were born and raised on Harley Davidson 50wt or 60wt oil. So why would someone wanna play Russian roulette with a stock shovelhead to save $4 to $12 on oil ?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 AM
Road Warrior

[QUOTE=LilRosie;11187102]Use straight HD 60 wt unless you ride where the temps drop below 35-40 degrees, then use HD 50 wt.

If your primary isn't isolated, don't worry about adding oil to the primary, it'll be lubed from the motor oil. If the primary is isolated and running a primary chain just add a few oz of your motor oil.

The way I see it. The oil is the blood line of any motor. The stock shovelheads were born and raised on Harley Davidson 50wt or 60wt oil. So why would someone wanna play Russian roulette with a stock shovelhead to save $4 to $12 on oil ? [/QUOT

That is true till the oil became a much better product-- than Harley switched to 20/50 in the early 80s and never look back
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
Old 04-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Here in centro america all i can get that is close is castrol 25/60,,i can not get a straight weight 50 or 60.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
What is 25/60 ?

castrol 25/60,its all i can get that is 60 weight in costa rica.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
What is 25/60 ?

25/60 is not sold in the US, but is sold in country's that are not controlled by the EPA, and still have a lot of air cooled cars...which it is designed for...I would say it would be just fine for a shovel...and if it was available here you might look at using it yourself...because it surely has all the nasty additives you can no longer sell in the US...but motors love...I say use it.

1984 FXST
1983 FLHT
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom84FXST View Post
25/60 is not sold in the US, but is sold in country's that are not controlled by the EPA, and still have a lot of air cooled cars...which it is designed for...I would say it would be just fine for a shovel...and if it was available here you might look at using it yourself...because it surely has all the nasty additives you can no longer sell in the US...but motors love...I say use it.

KOOL Learned something today and that makes it a good day I had no idea they even made it . I'll look into that with all the newer tech inside this 93" I've been using 20/50 but she does get a bit warm when it goes over 90 out here . Can't use straights anymore .

If you haven't been to the edge your just a tourist in life's cheap seats .

When you think your day can't suck any worse remember somewhere somebodies job is making *****'s
Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM

P