Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Keep burning up solenoid to starter cables...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:37 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Double post

Last edited by megawatt; 06-23-2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: double post
Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Here's a section of the wiring diagram I made up for my bike.
It has what you are looking for as far as the starter system and also the charging system because I am too lazy to edit it further.
The rest is a lot like the one in your shop manual.

Attached Thumbnails Keep burning up solenoid to starter cables...-welcome-scan-640x373-.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Bohemian
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by megawatt
thanks for the diagram...

question; the relay i have is the 4 post ford universal style (2 unmarked large ones, 2 small-ones marked "S" & "I") ...

how do I translate that to your diagram in respect to your relay depiction?

thanks in advance.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 AM
31choptop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bo, the two large posts are main power in from batt. and the other goes to starter. you can ignore the I post and run the (control) wire that comes from your start button to the S post.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Bohemian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 31choptop
Bo, the two large posts are main power in from batt. and the other goes to starter. you can ignore the I post and run the (control) wire that comes from your start button to the S post.
thanks, does it matter which one of the relay large posts get Positive/Negative?

does the wire coming off the smallest post on the solenoid go to the "S" post on relay or one of the large posts on the relay?

thanks in advance.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

I don't have the four connector type relay, mine has three.
So I can't speak to which smaller post to use. If you have an ohm meter, you can figure out which one to use.
So when you know which smaller post to use, that gets the wire from the starter button.
It doesn't matter which large post gets the wire from the battery or the wire that goes to the solenoid They are both isolated from ground (or should be).
To recap, connect the wire from the starter button to the small post that operates the relay. Make sure the metal plate that the relay is mounted on is grounded.
Connect a wire from the positive side of the battery to one of the large posts and then connect a wire from the other large post to the small post on the solenoid.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
31choptop
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bohemian
thanks, does it matter which one of the relay large posts get Positive/Negative?

does the wire coming off the smallest post on the solenoid go to the "S" post on relay or one of the large posts on the relay?

thanks in advance.
no, the large posts are not polarity specific. if you use Mega's schematic, then you would unhook the small wire to the solenoid and hook it to the small terminal ( S ) on relay, then run batt. ( + ) to large terminal on relay and run a wire from solenoid ( small terminal ) to other large terminal on relay. probably confused everyone at this point, me included. and NO negative(-) anything gets hooked to any solenoid or relay (should ground for the coil through the body)

Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Bohemian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by megawatt
I don't have the four connector type relay, mine has three.
So I can't speak to which smaller post to use. If you have an ohm meter, you can figure out which one to use.
So when you know which smaller post to use, that gets the wire from the starter button.
It doesn't matter which large post gets the wire from the battery or the wire that goes to the solenoid They are both isolated from ground (or should be).
To recap, connect the wire from the starter button to the small post that operates the relay. Make sure the metal plate that the relay is mounted on is grounded.
Connect a wire from the positive side of the battery to one of the large posts and then connect a wire from the other large post to the small post on the solenoid.
well if i understand you correctly, I have it wired correctly already and that puts me back to square one again...
dang it I thought maybe I missed something when I put it back together...

I have attached what is my current understanding of what my starter circuit should look like and it is in fact how i am and was configured when i burned up two starters, two solenoids, and 2 starter to solenoid cables...

Somebody please advise WTF...

I am really confused at this point...

Attached Thumbnails Keep burning up solenoid to starter cables...-79shovelheadstartercircuit-1.jpg  

Last edited by Bohemian; 06-23-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:51 PM
31choptop
Tourer

Bo, looks good, will work. maybe check the solenoid for an internal short problem, too bad not closer, or... I could run out there look at your scoot and get laid also!-hmmmmmmm....

Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
Bohemian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 31choptop
B...
Yeah, problem is my wiring is the same now as when i took it down to fix tranny oil leak and was otherwise working fine...

Put it all back together, fried battery, starter and solenoid, and solenoid to battery cable 3-5 seconds after first bump of starter button...

After replacing all that shiite and checking everything with a meter, finding nothing; and thinking maybe the starter cable grounded against the bracket on the back side of the starter the first time; cause the oem hitachi setup is pretty darn close to begin with...

2nd try was a instant repeat of the 1st...
and there was no way the spyke starter cable could have grounded against anything this time around...

So... i really want to find something definitively wrong before i put another 400-500 bucks worth of parts on it...

Only damm wire frying is the stinking 4 gage solenoid to starter cable...

Quick Reply: Keep burning up solenoid to starter cables...