Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

My new bike! Late 78 FXEF (exhaust???)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 11:47 PM
siscokidcc
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new bike! Late 78 FXEF (exhaust???)

Hello, I'm new to this site and new to Harleys. Just got my first bike a month ago from a family member who made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a late 78 Fat Bob. 15K original on the odometer and in GREAT condition. Mods include: S&S carb, engine rebuilt to 80 ci,forward controls, lots ofchrome, drag pipes, etc... The bike rides great and is dependable. The problem is the pipes. It sounds awesome!!!! Loud, deep, and throaty. I love it but the loud part is a problem with the police, my neighbors (at 5:00 am), car alarms, dogs and small children. I need info on what to do to tone it down. I've been looking for a new set of pipes but there is no info on the loudness / volume. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a new set of pipes and find out that it's as loud as what I have on the bike now. HD dealership was no help. Does anyone know of an exhaust system that will tone down the volume but keep the deep tone? Any info on Milwaukee Twins (J&P) or Dyno Power (J&P) mufflers?

Thanks, Chris.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Default RE: My new bike! Late 78 FXEF (exhaust???)

ORIGINAL: siscokidcc

Hello, I'm new to this site and new to Harleys. Just got my first bike a month ago from a family member who made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a late 78 Fat Bob. 15K original on the odometer and in GREAT condition. Mods include: S&S carb, engine rebuilt to 80 ci,forward controls, lots ofchrome, drag pipes, etc... The bike rides great and is dependable. The problem is the pipes. It sounds awesome!!!! Loud, deep, and throaty. I love it but the loud part is a problem with the police, my neighbors (at 5:00 am), car alarms, dogs and small children. I need info on what to do to tone it down. I've been looking for a new set of pipes but there is no info on the loudness / volume. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on a new set of pipes and find out that it's as loud as what I have on the bike now. HD dealership was no help. Does anyone know of an exhaust system that will tone down the volume but keep the deep tone? Any info on Milwaukee Twins (J&P) or Dyno Power (J&P) mufflers?

Thanks, Chris.
siscokidcc

“Hello, I'm new to this site and new to Harleys. Just got my first bike a month ago from a family member who made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a late 78 Fat Bob....... Thanks, Chris.

Welcome, and if your ride has straight pipes ? loose them is my opinion, if your rode with me or our group, you would be about 1/8 mile in the behind us, there has been so much written about shovelheads and drag pipes if you dodn’t know about a little “back pressure” lose power in “power bands” read rpm range.

You, me and most every biker likes the sound of loud pipes on a shovel, the best, if you and you buddies are going for a beer down the road that’s great, if you think your riding next to me on a 5 to 7 hr road trip, your dreaming, my ride is loud enough with some baffles, I don’t need someone along side me pounding the shlt out of my head, and it’s not even my ride !

Do yourself a favor don’t be the a$$hole of the neighborhood, idle coming home, idle leaving, then pull over to warm up don’t be a dick were you live, 9 out of 10 times it’s some fu*king newbee running straight pipes doesn’t have the sense God gave them only being exposed to hollwood movies and a few local dicks running straight, the AH tends to ride loud and fast in his own or his friends neighborhood, so we have this guy riding loud drawing attention then the regular people see how fast this guy is going with their kids running around with their pets, in all the years I lived where I do, I only had to tell two, each one was a young know it all, one who lived here and one was giving a local hottie a ride, each one got the same message, walking out in the middle of the road, hay ! thinking I am stopping them to rave about their ride, hay, nice day for a ride, sure is man, listen Your ride begins OUTSIDE my FUC*ING NEIGHBORHOOD ! not IN my neighborhood, understand pointing to any kids running around near us ! both were not total AH’s once pointing out the obvious they thank me and the last thing I told them is you don’t really want to go through life, killing some kid, because you wanted to hear your pipes, do ya ?

Old 02-25-2007, 02:15 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Words of wisdom from The Master! Good reply post CJ.

Take your bike to a good independent shop. The dealer service dept is going to be ZERO help for you. I have never even found one that will touch a shovel. You should be able to get a better price at an Indy than at J&P, at least my experience.

49 more days in hell, 2 days travel and I will be ridin' again!

Old 02-25-2007, 07:40 PM
siscokidcc
Stage II

Great reply cj. Appreciate the advice. My rant on pissing my neighbors of was actually what I think would happen if I powered up in the morning. Actually I haven't done it and won't until I tone down the volume.I haven't had any problems with anyone or the police yet. I'm trying to avoid that. The pipes I have are baffled (welded). I'm very respectfulof my neighbors / others and don't want to be that AH with a loud bike. I'm looking at the Milwaukee Twin dual exhaust system from Kraft Tech. The info I'm reading is that they are mufflers but I don't know how quiet they are (I'm OK withquiet). Appreciate any info on quiet pipes for my shovel from all.

Chris.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:02 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: siscokidcc

Great reply cj. Appreciate the advice. My rant on pissing my neighbors of was actually what I think would happen if I powered up in the morning. Actually I haven't done it and won't until I tone down the volume.I haven't had any problems with anyone or the police yet. I'm trying to avoid that. The pipes I have are baffled (welded). I'm very respectfulof my neighbors / others and don't want to be that AH with a loud bike. I'm looking at the Milwaukee Twin dual exhaust system from Kraft Tech. The info I'm reading is that they are mufflers but I don't know how quiet they are (I'm OK withquiet). Appreciate any info on quiet pipes for my shovel from all.

Chris.
siscokidcc

Great reply cj. Appreciate the advice. My rant on pissing my neighbors of was actually what I think would happen if I powered up in the morning. Actually I haven't done it and won't until I tone down the volume. I haven't had any problems with anyone or the police yet. I'm trying to avoid that. The pipes I have are baffled (welded). I'm very respectful of my neighbors / others and don't want to be that AH with a loud bike. I'm looking at the Milwaukee Twin dual exhaust system from Kraft Tech. The info I'm reading is that they are mufflers but I don't know how quiet they are (I'm OK with quiet). Appreciate any info on quiet pipes for my shovel from all. Chris.

Chris no problem at all, I am glad you took it as it was given to help that’s all, I know it’s hard in picking out exhaust for a shovel, what is the dB, how is the tone, if you stick with something with baffles your going to be ok, if they come adjustable (length of baffle) all the better you can fine tune it, maybe a search on shovel exhaust might help, or find what other people our using, I myself are using the same ones I put on in ’81 : - ) yeah re-chromed about 3 times ! I really like them, of course you can’t get them any more, that is why I get them re-chromed.

Try this link it explains exhaust how it works on shovels, good learning tool it's Donny Petersen site the guy who writes a columm for AI (American Iron) it will be hard to find anyone with more know how on shovels than Donny he is good. Once at that link click on exhaust.

http://www.heavydutycycles.com/shoveltech.htm

Old 02-27-2007, 12:24 AM
83 Wide Glide
6th Gear

If your looking for a great shovelhead site that is dedicated to shovels and has some really good info and great peeps try - http://shovelhead.us/
Some of the best info just on shovels with tons of stuff.

Yo cj - great input on pipes and harley's. I only wish others would see this and appreciate it. Good job !!

Old 02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cj, GREAT link! Thanx bud! One day I am gonna have to buy you a beer ort two. You seem like a guy that I could BS with for a few hours.

sisco, anu luck finding an Indy that knows Shovels around your area?

Old 02-27-2007, 08:20 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: 83 Wide Glide

If your looking for a great shovelhead site that is dedicated to shovels and has some really good info and great peeps try - http://shovelhead.us/
Some of the best info just on shovels with tons of stuff.

Yo cj - great input on pipes and harley's. I only wish others would see this and appreciate it. Good job !!
"83 Wide Glide"
"If your looking for a great shovelhead site that is dedicated to shovels and has some really good info and great peeps try - http://shovelhead.us/ Some of the best info just on shovels with tons of stuff. Yo cj - great input on pipes and harley's. I only wish others would see this and appreciate it. Good job !! "
I forgot that link, it is a very good site been there and register I just have to get back more, thanks for listing it, in fact I think you were the first to list it here awhile ago ! I am sure that Chris will find good advice on what pipes are available for shovels and get a descent read on sound levels.
Thanks again, 83
cj

Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ChiefGator

cj, GREAT link! Thanx bud! One day I am gonna have to buy you a beer ort two. You seem like a guy that I could BS with for a few hours.

sisco, anu luck finding an Indy that knows Shovels around your area?
"cj, GREAT link! Thanx bud! One day I am gonna have to buy you a beer ort two. You seem like a guy that I could BS with for a few hours."
Yeah it’s a very good shovel link, and EVO, TC info, Donny is someone very special in the hd world, he been in it a long time, ahhh, yeah I can talk some, people on this forum will tell you that, : - ) but once I get started it’s tuff to find the off switch : - ) as for the beer, you don’t buy buddy, no how, no way ! I am here in heaven, you and people like you our keeping it that way here ! no your money ani’t no good : - ))) it’s on me !
Again keep safe,
cj

Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 PM
chitown
Novice

Hi Chris,

I'm ridin a 79 fxef that is still 74ci. Ibought it new in 79 when parts were esay to get and chnaged over in 1980 to a set of dual staggered like came on the 76 super glide. I simply popped a hole in the back baffle and got good performance and sound. Also I didn't need to worry about the cops any more. I have a friend that used to work ofr S&S as a tech and now owns his own shop. He talked me out of drag pipes. According to him, you get better performance out of the shovels with some back pressure.

Check it out.