Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Timing, bolts, and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:53 PM
troglodyte
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing, bolts, and other questions

I have finally gotten around to my 1980 Fat Bob project. It only has about 6000 miles on it and was parked in the back of a Houston garage one day and sat for almost 20 years. Now it is in my garage and I amnow getting around to bringing it back to life.

I cleaned up the carb today and replaced the accelerator pump. Did a few other mostly cosmetic type repairs and installed an air cleaner. Fired it up and after a few adjustments here and there, I had it running...albeit not well but running.

Now here's the first of many things I'm going to need help with. It has a Dyna S ignition and I have replaced the coil with a 5 ohm. Plugs and wires are new but I can't getting the timing to cooperate. At idle (around 900 rpms) the rear cylinder is not firing in time. As rpms increase it gets seems to get more in line and the engine sounds better. I'm guessing I don't have the timing set correctly but I'm not sure what I should be looking for and when I should see it in the timing hole. The service manual is not very clear (at least to me). Can someone please take me by the hand and lead me through the process of getting the right timing?

Second, 20 years sitting in a garage in Houston has rusted the exhuast bolts solid. I need to install new gaskets and want to put in studs in the process. I have used Liquid Wrench, hammer taps, and heat but they won't budge. Any sage advice on how to get these allen head bolts out?

Tires and tubes are on the way. I need to replace the speedo unit and get in to the primary, anddo some work pococj recommended. A few other minor things here and there and I'm onthe road.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:28 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Timing, bolts, and other questions

Uh-oh, what did I recommend?

You may have to pull the heads to get those exhaust studs out. I had to sawz-all the pipes off one bike to get the heads off. Lotsa !!!%~~`*#**##***!!! that afternoon!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:53 AM
troglodyte
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Timing, bolts, and other questions

Isolating primary was the main one. Don't remember the rest...I have them copied off somewhere...