Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Clutch replacement 1979 FXEF

Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 AM
radio915
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replacement 1979 FXEF

I need to replace the clutch in my 79 FXEF, and am wondering if it is something I should do myself. I have the factory sevice manual and have done most of the normal repairs myself over the 20 years I've had the bike, but the clutch job might be over my head, since I don't know the "tricks" that might go with the job. Is it pretty straight forward, like described in the Service Manual? Any things I should watch out for? I plan to replace the discs (friction and steel), as well as the springs. Also, any comments on the Alto brand parts? Thanks for the advice!

Old 02-26-2007, 04:51 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Clutch replacement 1979 FXEF

It is not a hard swap at all. The shop manual should describe it fairly well. I am not sure if the manual tells you to use a fender washer to compress the springs to hold the assembly together while you remove it. But that makes things much easier to slide it apart as one unit and you can change the spings on the bench.

Also, when I rebuilt my clutch last year, the clutch hub studs had grooves worn into them. You can replace the studs, but I would suggest repacing the entire hub with a 5 stud unit vs. the 3 stud stock one. A 5 stud unit is about $60, It makes the adjustment much more uniform. I would also suggest repacing the releasing disk with a heavy duty billet one. I think it lists for about $12 in the Jireh catalog. The stock one warps and flexes pretty easily. Also, check your clutch basket for grooving. The guides can be smoothed out with a file or even replaced. Of course you can replace the entire basket as well. The new plates with crisp new edges will catch on the grooves and "pop" free for a while until they are worn in. The old plates were worn at the same rate as the basket, so they do not catch.

Old 02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
speighd
Advanced

I think the washer is 3/4" OD, 3/8" ID 1/8" thick.
It is easy to put in new clutch plates.
Not sure I would change to a 5 stud unit unless you really want (or need) to replace the cage.

As far as the throwout barring, if it is the stock one I definately agree REPLACE IT (with an older style).
The one from that time frame is way to small and will cause you nothing but trouble.
It is onr of the few non stock parts on my 1976 FLH (that and an S&S carb).

Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 PM
gheiser
Stage III

Ive got an 80 FLTthat I redid the clutch on, new plates, hub (5 stud), AL release plate and blue BArnett springs. The problem is when cold the clutch acts like a light switch (all off then as I release the lever it grabs all at once. Could the new plates be catching on the basket and popping off like the poster above said? After 1/2 hour of riding the clutch acts perfectly normal, it only bucks and jerks when cold.

Any ideas?

Greg