Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Value???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Kick Start Bart
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead Value???

I know this is probably going to be a controversial topic, but I am very curious what an older collectible bike is really worth. Now, I know that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, but I keep getting very different thoughts on this. I'm curious what some of you guys think about this.

I have a 1984 FXWG with a Shovelhead motor. This is one of the last bikes that Harley produced with that motor and they only made them for half the year before switching over to the EVO. This was my very first Harley, and I've had it since I was 25 years old. When I bought it I decided to get a Shovel because my old man had a Shovel and because I wanted something cool that not many other people had. Now, after years of maintenance and hard work to keep this 29 year-old bike in good running condition I finally broke down and bought a newer bike with the idea that I would finally sell my Shovelhead. However, after months of having it posted well below what I think it's worth I have gotten almost zero interest in the bike. I'm really starting to wonder if maybe I'm just not finding the right demographic for this kind of bike??? Or is it really not worth anything??

Here are the details....
I found out from Harley that only 2,225 of these were produced. This one happens to have less than 5,000 original miles, and less than 1,000 miles on a professional top & bottom rebuild. It also has the original custom Harley flame paint job from 1984 that still looks great. The bike is super clean with a ton of extras. It was appraised for $10,500 before the rebuild and in pieces (long story). Both NADA and KBB do not even have this bike listed for a value. They have a 1983 FXWG with a Shovel and they have a 1984 FXWG with an EVO. Both of those bikes are valued at $15,500 in Excellent condition and $9,500 in Very Good condition (which I think mine would be considered). It would probably only take about $1500 to make it Excellent condition.

Now, I know a lot of people don't like Shovels because they leak oil and they take a lot of maintenance to keep running right, but you have to admit they are pretty badass, and are really what that original Harley sound is supposed to sound like! Is there really not a market for bikes like this? Is it really just considered old junk?? I'm curious to hear what some of you guys think. I'm wondering if it's even worth selling or if I'd be better off jolding on to it for another 20 years in hopes it will be more collectible or if i should just take what I can get for it?
Here are some pics...

Attached Thumbnails Shovelhead Value???-img_0074.jpg   Shovelhead Value???-img_0075.jpg   Shovelhead Value???-img_0076.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The gas tank might have the original paintjob, but a lot of things are not correct
Might be in very good condition, but not in very good original condition.

It all depends on what have you had it listed for.. and we can tell you how off you are

Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM
LilRosie
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kick Start Bart
I know this is probably going to be a controversial topic, but I am very curious what an older collectible bike is really worth. Now, I know that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it, but I keep getting very different thoughts on this. I'm curious what some of you guys think about this.

I have a 1984 FXWG with a Shovelhead motor. This is one of the last bikes that Harley produced with that motor and they only made them for half the year before switching over to the EVO. This was my very first Harley, and I've had it since I was 25 years old. When I bought it I decided to get a Shovel because my old man had a Shovel and because I wanted something cool that not many other people had. Now, after years of maintenance and hard work to keep this 29 year-old bike in good running condition I finally broke down and bought a newer bike with the idea that I would finally sell my Shovelhead. However, after months of having it posted well below what I think it's worth I have gotten almost zero interest in the bike. I'm really starting to wonder if maybe I'm just not finding the right demographic for this kind of bike??? Or is it really not worth anything??

Here are the details....
I found out from Harley that only 2,225 of these were produced. This one happens to have less than 5,000 original miles, and less than 1,000 miles on a professional top & bottom rebuild. It also has the original custom Harley flame paint job from 1984 that still looks great. The bike is super clean with a ton of extras. It was appraised for $10,500 before the rebuild and in pieces (long story). Both NADA and KBB do not even have this bike listed for a value. They have a 1983 FXWG with a Shovel and they have a 1984 FXWG with an EVO. Both of those bikes are valued at $15,500 in Excellent condition and $9,500 in Very Good condition (which I think mine would be considered). It would probably only take about $1500 to make it Excellent condition.

Now, I know a lot of people don't like Shovels because they leak oil and they take a lot of maintenance to keep running right, but you have to admit they are pretty badass, and are really what that original Harley sound is supposed to sound like! Is there really not a market for bikes like this? Is it really just considered old junk?? I'm curious to hear what some of you guys think. I'm wondering if it's even worth selling or if I'd be better off jolding on to it for another 20 years in hopes it will be more collectible or if i should just take what I can get for it?
Here are some pics...
First, why with only 4k miles why did it need a top end rebuild ?

In the past 6-8 yrs the shovels from about 1973 and later, the market went south. There's quite few all original, excellent, unmolested shovels selling for around $5k-$7k.
Original shovels from 1970 to 1972 have been holding their own in value/sales.
Now............ 1966 to 1969 genny shovels have been steadily climbing in value/sale price. 6-8 yrs ago, you could pick up an all original genny for around $7-$8k, now they're selling for $10-$14.5k. Some reasons original genny shovels are increasing in value, they dodged the torch during the early chopper craze, vin #'s only on the motor, so the title goes with the motor.

Last edited by LilRosie; 08-29-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

That is a sweet ride. If you can't keep it, find a way to advertise it in Japan- shovels are huge over there.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

You may have had it appraised for the amount you said but you will wait a long, long time before you get trhat price. You did not say what you were selling it for but I will guess that it is somewhere between the appraised value and the cost of the addional for the rebuild.

In my neck of the woods that is about doulble of what folks will spend. Before the economy tanked bikes like yours could fetch almost 12 large, now they are in the 5-7 range and another grand more (to the right buyer) if they are stock or really close to stock. Yours from appearances is not.

I can understand how you would need a top end with a 29 year-old bike with only 4K on her...those gasket are so dry it would be like trying to use burnt paper to cover a window to keep out the wind. But why the bottom end?

And actually shovels do not really leak oil if properly assembled and maintained. They now make Cometic gaskets that do indeed solve mainly oil-related issuse and stuff like Yamabond does an excllent job of sealing parts. As far as maintenance, the only difference between shovels and modern bike is that shoevls require more routine maintenance.

Have to say it is really sad to think of a bike that old with so few miles. They were meant to be ridden and not made to be museum pieces.

Nice looking bike you have. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:45 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRosie
In the past 6-8 yrs the shovels from about 1973 and later, the market went south. There's quite few all original, excellent, unmolested shovels selling for around $5k-$7k.

Non generator shovels rarely bring more than 5k in this part of the world...and that is not an original FXWG flame job

Name:  T2eC16dUE9s3wDcWSBRU5BYdyw60_3.jpg
Views: 7360
Size:  83.2 KB

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 07-24-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:59 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,111 Likes on 1,496 Posts

There's appraised values, there's values you find in KBB/Nada, (both of which are barely adequate for a starting point) and then there's "what the market will bear, what people will pay".

Spend time combing through eBay and craigs list ads for similar bikes...and see what their prices are, and how they move. Do this frequently, at least once or twice a week, over a 2 month minimum period. The ones that stay listed for weeks and months....are asking too much. The ones that sell quickly...were priced right, and sometimes you'll see one listed too low (uneducated seller) and got snagged quickly in like a day.

Also if you're a "motivated seller" or not has a lot to do with it. If you are hemming and hawing over selling it, and just testing the waters...don't need the money...keep it listed a hair higher. Perhaps if you feel it's better than others, a potential buyer may come along before next year and realize that and buy it. But if you need to move it quickly...list it lower.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

Originally Posted by LilRosie
First, why with only 4k miles why did it need a top end rebuild ?

Original shovels from 1970 to 1972 have been holding their own in value/sales.
Now............ 1966 to 1969 genny shovels have been steadily climbing in value/sale price. 6-8 yrs ago, you could pick up an all original genny for around $7-$8k, now they're selling for $10-$14.5k. Some reasons original genny shovels are increasing in value, they dodged the torch during the early chopper craze, vin #'s only on the motor, so the title goes with the motor.

This year for the first time the Shovel has been put on the spotlight for The AMCA as it is the last in line for what they believe can become an Antique / collectable - so we restored a 1971 FLH and bit the bullet spent 15.000 on OEM parts to do a chassis off resto to it in 9 months and are in the process of judging at the east coast AMCA events -

we did Oley in april and as a Junior Shovelhead restored bike scored 97.5 with the incorrect seat - than rhienbeck in june instead of giving the bike a junion first with the score of 98 and the incorrect seat - we have it now the correct seat - they gave us a senior badge for the judging event ( they liked it ) - soo next week we are going to Hebron CT aug 2 and 3rd for the final judging its called the winners circle, and we now have the correct seat, and the other minor things they had found hoping to match what we have already done, and looking foward to some of the collectors talking about doing up a shovel , not sure if it will happen but its all that is left to restore is the shovel and we see it as, only going up in value, in jersey flat sides original un restore and not hacked up go for 7500 in need of the resto sooo its coming -- if the picture thing worked for me and i am not a computor guy i only figured the on button out - i would post up some its already in the trailer as we have 8 bikes we are bringing to the event -- jz --- CIMG0684.JPG:
Upload of file failed. ???????????? it hates me i guess

Old 07-24-2013, 08:12 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This bike is no where near stock condition and looks like it has a bunch of bolt on gee-gaws that detract from anyone looking for a collector bike. If the paint is Harley-Davidson I don't remember them offering bolt on custom paint like those pictured. I do remember some custom paints in the 80-82 era but they are different. If you want to keep the bike for a long term investment I suggest you start searching for the correct parts to bring it back to stock .
WUZFUZ

Old 07-24-2013, 09:52 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
This year for the first time the Shovel has been put on the spotlight for The AMCA as it is the last in line for what they believe can become an Antique / collectable - so we restored a 1971 FLH and bit the bullet spent 15.000 on OEM parts to do a chassis off resto to it in 9 months and are in the process of judging at the east coast AMCA events -

we did Oley in april and as a Junior Shovelhead restored bike scored 97.5 with the incorrect seat - than rhienbeck in june instead of giving the bike a junion first with the score of 98 and the incorrect seat - we have it now the correct seat - they gave us a senior badge for the judging event ( they liked it ) - soo next week we are going to Hebron CT aug 2 and 3rd for the final judging its called the winners circle, and we now have the correct seat, and the other minor things they had found hoping to match what we have already done, and looking foward to some of the collectors talking about doing up a shovel , not sure if it will happen but its all that is left to restore is the shovel and we see it as, only going up in value, in jersey flat sides original un restore and not hacked up go for 7500 in need of the resto sooo its coming -- if the picture thing worked for me and i am not a computor guy i only figured the on button out - i would post up some its already in the trailer as we have 8 bikes we are bringing to the event -- jz --- CIMG0684.JPG:
Upload of file failed. ???????????? it hates me i guess
Man ya gotta figure how to post some pics. The anticipation is killing me here. Best of luck in Hebron!

Quick Reply: Shovelhead Value???