Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

FLT Clutch adjustment and rear chain bath

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 PM
81TourKing00
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLT Clutch adjustment and rear chain bath

Hey all,

Posted this in the do it yourself and Tech forums but so far no answers so thought I'd try here too:

A couple questions. I have an 81 FLT Tour Glide. A while back the clutch started slipping really bad when I was out on the freeway. I tightened the nuts on the clutch until it started holding better but now I have a hard time getting into neutral. I'd like to take out the clutch plates and clean them up but would like advice on the best way to proceed. Step-by-step would be great I'd like to try this before purchasing new plates.

The transmission fluid is leaking into the rear chain oil bath. What is the most probable cause and what is the recommended repair? How do I know it is leaking into the oil bath? The transmission oil is clean, the engine oil is black. I have never manually added oil to the bath. I drained the bath to the bottom of the inspection plug near the bottom and toward the rear of the bath, which should be the normal level, then replaced the plug and let the bike sit for a little more than a week (no time to ride). I opened the plug and clean oil flowed out. Checked the transmission level and it was down.

A related issue, I noticed the rear tire is rubbing on the rubber oil bath sleeve. It shouldn't be so how should I make the needed adjustment?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2013, 04:41 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The tire shouldn't rub on the boot... mmm... do you have a wider tire?
I have an FXRT, which is pretty much the same back there... plenti of cleareance

On the clutch take all the plates out and look for the fiber ones for weathering or oil on them, as well as the metal ones. Also check for warping

If I remember correct, to adjust the clutch on the 5 speed, disconnect the cable from the arm, push the arm all the way back using the adjusting screw on the clutch side. Back up the screw 1/4 turn (I think... or 1/8th?) and lock it. Reinstall the cable and adjust the end play on the lever with the cable

Old 09-11-2013, 06:07 PM
81TourKing00
Novice

Thanks V_twins. the rear tire is the "stock" size for the bike. Could it be out of alignment? If it is, how to straighten it out?

Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 2,872 Posts

a couple of things to check and make sure you look close

remove the bags and power wash the rear of the bike take special attention to the rear swing arm - we have had over the years seen them crack, right side just foward of the axle ( LOOK CLOSE ) the bike must have a handling issue but you did not say it does -

the trans level is checked with the bike straight up not on the kick stand like a twinkie did you over fill it if so drain some out before taking the thing apart -- jz

Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 PM
81TourKing00
Novice

Johnjzjz, I'll take a look at the swing arm. It has on rare occasions given me the feeling of the rear end going out from under me (highway speed going straight) but its not often and not recently.

Right, I check the T fluid upright, dipstick not screwed in. Try to keep it near but not over full.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 81TourKing00
Johnjzjz, I'll take a look at the swing arm. It has on rare occasions given me the feeling of the rear end going out from under me (highway speed going straight) but its not often and not recently.

Right, I check the T fluid upright, dipstick not screwed in. Try to keep it near but not over full.
the swing are is a common issue in later years but i have an 81 FLT as well, the last one i did the right side end piece was in my hand when we unbolted the axle

Old 09-11-2013, 09:18 PM
81TourKing00
Novice

Looked it over and the swing arm appears to be intact. Any other ideas on that issue?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

something has moved the axle has - the front of the swing -- the frame has cracked in the gusset ??????? you need to look for what is out of align if you dont feel you have the experence than take it to a shop you know -- trailer it you do not know what has happened and how bad it might be / anything could have happened not trying to freek you out but use caution safty is your friend -- jz

Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Shovelforlife
Novice

Look at your friction pads if plenty of pad left you can clean them off and then scuff them before reinstall. I use my cement steps to scuff mine. Then adjust after reassembly per manual.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM
81TourKing00
Novice

just to show what I'm seeing, here's a few pictures

Quick Reply: FLT Clutch adjustment and rear chain bath