Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

NJ Mutt

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 07:56 PM
MrChicken2U
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NJ Mutt

Hi Folks,
I originally posted the below out in the 'Show Your Pics' thread. It was suggested I post it here as well since the larger audience might be able to better help me identify the FAMILY TREE(s) of this convoluted Shovel. I pick it up via an estate sell-off, so PO is no longer with us to fill in the blanks.....

Picked up this shovel as project for winter. Am new to HD/Shovels so still trying to figure out what I've actually got to start with. S# on frame says it's a 79 FXEF, S# on engine(bottom) is 76 FLH. I'm told front end looks like 72-73 FL, and 4 speed tranny is a 'Tuard' (aftermarket?). Not sure of fenders but think they're same as engine? Have no clue to engine top end. Heads are dual plug to go along with dual coil set up so not sure where they're from. Primary is a dry belt, thought that was 1980 and on? Ran when I got it but real rough. So....started taking it apart pieces by piece......Rebuilt SS-e carb, float and all, found most wiring other then main power to Starter/ignition was chopper out (no lights, controls, lamps, etc.), so built secondary harness to get all that going with simple switches. 16" Front wheel again thinking 72-73 (for DRUM?) had a 10.5 "- rotor and caliper on right side, and in front of fork, so turned it around & rebuilt caliper. Replaced all rusted cables and while at it added 10" mini apes (getting to old to reach for old school flat bars)

With all that said, still runs a little rough, (looking at possible intake leak), needs more work on electrical, and not thrilled with feel of clutch. Also, have replaced O-rings on rocker shaft when first got it, and now after 50 +/- testing miles #1 is leaking again.

I know it's a lot to consume, but any feedback appreciated. Good or Bad.

Thanks

Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

older shovels just wont stop leaking from worked over rocker boxes with RUBBER O RINGS -- years back we stopped using them and in its place we use NYLON made for the rocker box as a replacement --

if you cant find them i can send a set - almost every supplier has them They are white in color and come in a 4 pack - johnjzjz

Old 10-20-2013, 07:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Thing about shovels is they can be about anything they mix & match so easy unlike today bikes thank god . need a few more close up pics from both sides to tell you what you have and don't make assumptions about years because of aftermarket parts , pretty much anything can be made to work on the old 4 speeds , take a hard look at mine case in point .