Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead Pukeing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM
weirdbenny
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead Pukeing Oil

New guy here!

I recently bought a 79 Superglide with 9,000 original milesfrom the original owner.
Bike has sat for the past 3 years as the man was not able toride it anymore.

It has the puke oil syndrome, more than likely corroded checkball. Ten years ago I had a 84 Shovel that never done this, no matter long itsat. I have not gotten around checking the check ball yet.

I’m sure you guys can answer a couple of questions

1. I have read on this site about crank case vents, Coulda car pcv valve be used before it gets to the air cleaner?

2. Has anyone ever ran a couple oz. of engine flush in theiroil before changing oil? My thinking it might help remove some build up thatmight be hanging the check ball.

Thanks in advance

Weird Benny

Attached Thumbnails Shovelhead Pukeing Oil-sg.jpg  
Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

the first thing is to get it going and ride it for an hour than change the oil HOT

that will flush anything not wanted - fill it up and see what happens - the more you ride it the better it will act - johnjzjz

Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,829 Likes on 17,453 Posts

They make a crankvent for bikes and make all kinda claims about added HP and no oil blowby , all hype and not worth the time it takes to read the ad on a shovel . The PVC vent isn't a good idea , never seen it work your not the first to think about it .

Check ball you already know the drill sorry some won't but most will have that problem sooner of later .

My fix , https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tech-...ll-repair.html

Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM
weirdbenny
Stage III

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the first thing is to get it going and ride it for an hour than change the oil HOT

that will flush anything not wanted - fill it up and see what happens - the more you ride it the better it will act - johnjzjz

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 PM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey I've own the same shovel for 32 years and 32 years later it still pukes oil, why who the hell knows bad design maybe. Over the years it has leaked a lot to nothing at all seems to leaked when ever it feels like it I have kick only which makes it worse because if it does not start right away that oil that is being drawn into the Bolton end can't be pushed back up into the tank quick enough. I put a new s&s oil pump on which made it even worse and when I replaced the cases the problem never went away, I've done it all trying to solve this problem other than go back to electric start, I hope you can resolve your problem
Better than I ever have been very frustrating over the years.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:11 PM
AShovel
Novice

Sitting for 3 years! that is most likely the biggest problem! after sitting for more than a month on a stock pump I am sure it will sump out the vent!

Run it a little and start it every week for a few weeks if it still pukes oil after you run it some than pull the pump or try to fix it on the bike!

It just needs a little Love is all!