Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

4 SPD Cutch issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
DirtyWhiteBoy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 SPD Cutch issues.

My 76 FXE is eating throwout bearings. The bike is a mild custom and it has an aftermarket clutch. I will tr to get some pics posted after I pull the primary cover off. The clutch is the type that has springs that go over bolts instead of studs like the factory does. Also it has a "late" style throwout bearing kit in it. The darn thing went out on my saturday night in Daytona, in the middle of bike week. Thank God I don't live to far from there and my wife was nice enough to hook up the trailer and come get me. This is the second time in about 1500 miles that this has happened. Normally the clutch is very hard to pull, this is the first shovelhead I have ever ridden, and assumed that it was characteristic of old bikes. I'm starting to wonder if the aftermarket clutch springs are just to much for the throwout bearing to handle. What do you guys think? Also, can I take out a few of the springs as long as the arrangment stays symetrical or do I need to find lighter duty springs?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:49 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 4 SPD Cutch issues.

How are you adjusting clutch at primary area?Low tranny fluid will kill those new styles very quickly as well as wear out the throw out brg rod thru trans shaft.Check the end of it for wear even if it means holding a new one up beside it.Sounds as if the throwout and rod arealways spinning,as if the primary adjuster isnt set up right.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:56 PM
DirtyWhiteBoy
Advanced

The transmission fluid is full. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but last time this happened the bearing was layin in little chunks in the bottom of the case and the center of the slinger was ripped out. I adjust the clutch so that there is just a little free play in the lever, about 1/8-1/4" of pull on the lever before the clutch engages. Is this the right way to adjust it?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM
DirtyWhiteBoy
Advanced

Pittguy, I apreciate the input. Does anyone else have any insight?

Old 03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Adjust the clutch at primary adjuster first,screw it in till it touches and back it off like a quarter to half turn.Back off the hand clutch cable before doing this lower adjustment.After lower is adjusted then set theother.That small brg cant take constant spinning,esp if it gets dry.The older style are much more forgiving,but require different rod and maybe lever inside kicker cover.The large aftermarket t/o brgs arent that great either.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:07 PM
speighd
Advanced

Convert it to an early type throwout bearing.
The later ones stink.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:28 PM
DirtyWhiteBoy
Advanced

Just out of curriosity why do they market new style bearings and if the old ones are better, and why do people convert to the new style if they suck. I'm not doubting you guys, I was just wandering. Also can I get away with taking a few of the clutch springs out, the clutch is really heavy and I'd like to lighten it up some if I can.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

At onetime no one made a reliable old style.Not sure if they still do?Most went used originals at swap meets until they also became harder to find,esp a good one.The smaller new style works but its size is its limiting factor.And if it runs dry,wont live long.Big motor,strong clutch,heavy throttle pounds them.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:49 PM
DirtyWhiteBoy
Advanced

Thanks Pittguy, we have a local shop that specializes in pans and shovels, I'll seeif I can get an original bearing set up from them. I'm gonna look into some lighter clutch springs. After dealing with bike week traffic all day my clutch hand was almost unusable.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 PM
speighd
Advanced

ORIGINAL: DirtyWhiteBoy

Just out of curriosity why do they market new style bearings and if the old ones are better, and why do people convert to the new style if they suck. I'm not doubting you guys, I was just wandering. Also can I get away with taking a few of the clutch springs out, the clutch is really heavy and I'd like to lighten it up some if I can.
Harley went to them because they cost less.
The current ones aren't bad, but in the 70's and early 80' it was way too small.

Quick Reply: 4 SPD Cutch issues.