Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Sifton 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Tunan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by biginchhustler
also I put a 101 in a buds 1978 1200 this past summer -- hes got a big wife and hes small -- the point is - the cam is perfect as he says -- plenty of low end and it will scoot along the interstate @ 75 all day -- he swears its smoother -- his 74 is 8:5:1 cr he runs a belt drive 22 tranny and 48 rear Andrews gear set -- super E 2 into 1 pipes -- hyd lifters myself I like the sifton #116 if you look at the sifton old cam sheet its the 414 cam

the 101 is 410 in a shovel -- 422 in a panhead -- I also have an old 1+ its a hyd cam for engines over 90" its an old school cam for long stroke big inch engines
Thanks so much for the information ! much appreciated !

I suspect I have the wrong pinion gear for that cam, I have the old long one.
I have a 1979, shouldn't it be the shorter gear ?

if I should switch to the shorter gear, Do you know what color that matches the Cam ?

Kind Regards
Johan

Old 11-09-2013, 01:33 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

1970 TO 1977 1/2 the cam gear has a smooth face -- 1977 1/2 to early 1984 the cam gear has a groove cut in it -- if yours doesn't have the groove have the gear pressed off and one with the groove pressed on --- you need to have the gear checked any way -- the new sifton cams are Chinese and 99% of the time are not aligned-- believe me -- have it checked.. it could be off a 1/2 a tooth

Old 11-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Tunan
Novice

1970 TO 1977 1/2 the cam gear has a smooth face -- 1977 1/2 to early 1984 the cam gear has a groove cut in it -- if yours doesn't have the groove have the gear pressed off and one with the groove pressed on --- you need to have the gear checked any way -- the new sifton cams are Chinese and 99% of the time are not aligned-- believe me -- have it checked.. it could be off a 1/2 a tooth
Thank you! finally feel like I'm starting to get some wisdom on this.

for the sake of simplicity, I am considering buying a new cam with associated pinion gear and sell the old one.

Since you seem to be a bit of an expert on cams I ask you for advice.

I want a cam of similar characteristics as the 101, I want good acceleration,it is the most important.

What do you recommend ? it should not be too expensive.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:36 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master

depending on the year --- http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=SVLHEADCAM -- if its a 1979

SHV-4000 bolt in - no special springs or head work -- it has more power in the low end than the 101 -- its a hyd cam $200

the color your talking about is when the pinion is matched to the cam gear -- YOU have to either buy the kit to figure out what pinion/gear match is correct -- its NO big deal if you don't do that. its just a little noisy (whine) if they arnt matched -- for years we never did that. its a epa crap thing about noise control -- its more important if you match the correct year -- like does you cam now have a groove or not..

Old 11-09-2013, 12:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

depending on the year --- http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ode=SVLHEADCAM -- if its a 1979

SHV-4000 bolt in - no special springs or head work -- it has more power in the low end than the 101 -- its a hyd cam $200

the color your talking about is when the pinion is matched to the cam gear -- YOU have to either buy the kit to figure out what pinion/gear match is correct -- its NO big deal if you don't do that. its just a little noisy (whine) if they arnt matched -- for years we never did that. its a epa crap thing about noise control -- its more important if you match the correct year -- like does you cam now have a groove or not..

Good cams I like & run the Vthunder series in stock to mild stroker shovels with very good results and you can find them on Ebay for around $140 but OP be aware they are designed for hydraulic lifter and the stock shovel ones where lacking . Good news is there's several companies making good updated replacements for reasonable money

Old 11-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Tunan
Novice

then maybe I do not need to replace the cam ? it might work with my 101 ?

at the moment I have the following:

Breather new model
Pinion gear old model
cam ?

is it enough to just replace pinion gear to the new model ?
How do I know if the Cam is of old or new model ?

I attach a picture of the cam .

Attached Thumbnails Sifton 101-cam.jpg  
Old 11-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Tunan
Novice

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Good cams I like & run the Vthunder series in stock to mild stroker shovels with very good results and you can find them on Ebay for around $140 but OP be aware they are designed for hydraulic lifter and the stock shovel ones where lacking . Good news is there's several companies making good updated replacements for reasonable money
thanks so much for the tip !

Old 11-09-2013, 02:11 PM
biginchhustler
Road Master

that cam is a 1970 to 77 the pinion will match the cam gear -- but-- you have to have someone check the alignment on that sifton cam--

Old 11-09-2013, 05:29 PM
Tunan
Novice

that cam is a 1970 to 77 the pinion will match the cam gear -- but-- you have to have someone check the alignment on that sifton cam--
sorry if I'm repetitive.

ok so the pinion gear matches the cam ,but what about the new breather gear ? would it be a problem ?

so finally, what would you recommend ?

Should I buy a new cam and a new pinion gear to suit the new breather ,and to get the right model year on all parts ?

or should I keep the old parts,from the wrong model year. keep the cam and pinion gear and bay a new breather gear from the old model year and try to make it work ?

Once again thank you for taking the time to help !