Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Speedo drive problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Benagain2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo drive problem

Hope someone can help me. I have an 82 fxe that I have changed to a fxwg. It has a front wheel speedo drive,when I put the wg front end on I also bought a 19" wheel adapter kit from j & p which let's me run my stock dual disc front wheel on the wide glide forks, it also has the notch for the stock speedo drive. The problem I am having is , even after just snugging the axle nut (hand tight) with blue loctite after about 50 miles it shears the tang off the drive. I have replaced it twice and adjusted pressure on the nut but both times it sheared off the tang. Has this happened to anyone? Those drives are getting expensive and I'd like to know if there is a trick to tightening the wheel .thanks,Ben in So.Cal

Old 03-10-2014, 08:44 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

21 inch wheel take a different drive than a 19 inch wheel < your problem is the drive as a spacer is not Long enough, by that i am saying its bottoming out on the rotor face and and it sticks in place just once and the tang is gone

you will have to make sure that the ring that drives the unit is loose when the axle is tight your is not

Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

John is right on!
I did the same thing as you when I put my 91 FL together
when mine destroyed itself it wrapped the speedo cable around the axle too.
not one of my smoother moves for sure.
V twin 2013 catalog page 683 gives width of spacer drive units.
with the correct parts in there you should be able to tighten the axle nut Tight.
you can request a catalog from tedd from there website and its Free. a lot of good information in the catalogs even if you don't like there parts it is a good thing to have around IMO

Old 03-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Benagain2
3rd Gear
Default Thanks

Thank you guys for the input. I'm going down to my local chopper shop tomorrow and will ask them to get out there V Twin book and hook me up with the right spacers and drive for my 19 " wheel so I can get back on the road

Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Rodney
Road Master

good luck,
it is warming up hear enough to think about going for a ride..
you might want to take the parts your working with to the Harley store with you

Old 03-22-2014, 02:59 PM
apd628
Intermediate

I have a similar problem. I have a 1975 FLH that I bought in pieces, and now have it b back on the road. My speedometer does not work, at all.

I took it out of the console, and took it apart, besides being pretty gunky with grease, it looked fine. I cleaned it, and oiled it with some light synthetic gun oil. I then hooked it up to a drill and checked to see if it functioned, it did at varying speeds up to 75MPH via the drill motor.
I pulled the cable off the bike, it is a transmission drive model, and checked it out, it was fine. I cleaned it up, and oiled it with the same light gun oil. I put the speedometer end into the speedometer, and spun the gear drive end of the cable, it made the needle move on the speedometer.

I put everything back together on the bike and took it for a drive, no speedometer.
Transmission end was fine, no broken parts on the gear drive end, the cable end that fits into the speedometer, was fine, no issues not broken or cracked.

Anybody got a clue?

Old 03-22-2014, 03:52 PM
Rodney
Road Master

I had that problem to find the ends of the speedo cable were slipping where it engaged into the gear. It was a combination of the cable not long enough which rounded the end of the cable causing the cable to spin and not turning the speedometer.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 PM
apd628
Intermediate

Thanks for the input, bike has aftermarket braided stainless steel control cables, I will try a new cable. Thanks again.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:03 AM
apd628
Intermediate
Default Nagging speedometer problem

Following up on my previously mentioned post on speedometer problem.
I got a new cable thinking that would solve my issue, as the other was rusted into the speedometer drive unit.
I lubed the cable, lubed the receiver portion of the speedometer drive unit, put it all back together, took it for a ride, no functioning speedometer.

I then bought a new speedometer drive unit from JP Cycles, put it all back together, and the speedometer worked fine. For a grand total of 44 miles, then it started hopping around, and not registering a constant speed as it did for the first 44 miles, then it quit all together.

I order a new speedometer from JP Cycles for it, install it, and nothing.
To date I have purchased a new speedometer drive cable, a new speedometer and a speedometer drive unit, and have no functioning speedometer.

Am I missing something?

How much of a hassle is it to convert it to a front wheel drive speedometer?

Aside from an oil leak coming from where my starter bolts into the inner primary, the bike has been relatively trouble free.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:12 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by apd628
Following up on my previously mentioned post on speedometer problem.
I got a new cable thinking that would solve my issue, as the other was rusted into the speedometer drive unit.
I lubed the cable, lubed the receiver portion of the speedometer drive unit, put it all back together, took it for a ride, no functioning speedometer.

I then bought a new speedometer drive unit from JP Cycles, put it all back together, and the speedometer worked fine. For a grand total of 44 miles, then it started hopping around, and not registering a constant speed as it did for the first 44 miles, then it quit all together.

I order a new speedometer from JP Cycles for it, install it, and nothing.
To date I have purchased a new speedometer drive cable, a new speedometer and a speedometer drive unit, and have no functioning speedometer.

Am I missing something?

How much of a hassle is it to convert it to a front wheel drive speedometer?

Aside from an oil leak coming from where my starter bolts into the inner primary, the bike has been relatively trouble free.

Thanks in advance for your input.

the original post was for a non working front wheel speedo - your is a different type speedo - and you have no info about what it is to help except it was rusted

start a new post and fill in what year ect ect - what the original issue was and what was done

the guys know this stuff and are happy to help -