Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Will these brakes easily fit on an '83 FLHS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:42 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Default Will these brakes easily fit on an '83 FLHS?

These GMA calipers are for sale at another forum, not sure what they came off, it was a Shovelhead I can say that.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:21 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Gma brakes work real good on grandmas walker - the one for the front wheel

the rear wheel one works - brake pads are often the reason they are not better as no bothers to make a good pad for them < that should help

in my shop if they show up with it we install it but i wont sell them as the cusomer will always come back and say you need to ride my bike and tell me if those brakes you put on stop OK -- jz

Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Gma brakes work real good on grandmas walker - the one for the front wheel

the rear wheel one works - brake pads are often the reason they are not better as no bothers to make a good pad for them < that should help

in my shop if they show up with it we install it but i wont sell them as the cusomer will always come back and say you need to ride my bike and tell me if those brakes you put on stop OK -- jz
I'll second the above. In my opinion, the rear one might look a little better than the banana calipers from HD but probably stops about the same. As for the front one, I'd trust it to hold my bike from rolling while I was stopped on a hill, but since most of my braking power comes from the front I want something better than that single-piston unit (with average-at-best pads, as john states).

Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Gotcha...so the consensus is...
*GMA brakes....not very good
*These are single piston...so only good for stopping sporties...not larger bikes..and since I wide with the wife on the back...even less of a good idea.

My rear caliper locked up on the highway last year..the stock Harley one...had a good meltdown. Looking to replace it. Front one still fine and still mounted. Guy is asking 250 for the pair.

**Even if I put good pads on them ...still stink?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM
hobobiker
Tourer

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
Gotcha...so the consensus is...
*GMA brakes....not very good
*These are single piston...so only good for stopping sporties...not larger bikes..and since I wide with the wife on the back...even less of a good idea.

My rear caliper locked up on the highway last year..the stock Harley one...had a good meltdown. Looking to replace it. Front one still fine and still mounted. Guy is asking 250 for the pair.

**Even if I put good pads on them ...still stink?
I wrench on Shovels as a hobby and I'm betting I have a banana caliper or two as takeoffs in the garage. I've been replacing them with Tokico or Nissin jap bike calipers and a mounting kit I buy from a guy online named Fab Kevin. Stops the bike on a dime, but I digress. I try to pay things forward when I can because people have helped me over the years. If I have a banana caliper for the rear I'll send it to ya free of charge...just PM me your address.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a (large) picture of the side of my bike, showing rear brake.
I don't think the rear caliper is actually a banana type. But...just wish to get something good on her.
http://www.speedguide.net/~brian/flhs13.jpg

I mounted as a link instead of a picture that opens because it's large..don't want to slow down everyones browser.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:21 AM
hobobiker
Tourer

Yep, you're correct, I forgot that HD had moved away from the banana for your year. The GMA rear will likely do just as good of a job and look a little better on the rear. My heartburn, and John's as stated above, is that the front isn't much of a brake for even a lighter FX-style bike, let alone your FL riding two-up.

Just for kicks, while you're searching for some replacement brakes why don't you bounce out to Fab Kevin's website and see what I mean about his brackets and the jap-bike brakes. I'll bet I've got less into that entire setup for my 77 FL (both 4-piston calipers too) than what this guy is asking for the GMA brakes...

www.fabkevin.com

Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hobobiker

Just for kicks, while you're searching for some replacement brakes why don't you bounce out to Fab Kevin's website and see what I mean about his brackets and the jap-bike brakes. I'll bet I've got less into that entire setup for my 77 FL (both 4-piston calipers too) than what this guy is asking for the GMA brakes...

www.fabkevin.com
Will do. Bookmarked...thanks.
And "Thanks" for your replies and help.
Swap meet at Stafford Springs CT in 2x weeks..might get lucky there too.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

I run the same one on the front and rear as the rear you have in the pic. Both stop very well. Most folks don't run the correct rotor with them as they use a ductile iron rotor and pads for those type of rotors. If it isn't stopping correctly, they probably have on stainless drilled rotors instead for looks. Not stopping power.

Correct master cylinder bore is crucial also.

Griz

Old 03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ
I run the same one on the front and rear as the rear you have in the pic. Both stop very well. Most folks don't run the correct rotor with them as they use a ductile iron rotor and pads for those type of rotors. If it isn't stopping correctly, they probably have on stainless drilled rotors instead for looks. Not stopping power.

Correct master cylinder bore is crucial also.

Griz

if you ride drum brake bike a lot i guess you agree they work well

they had a change in the machine department and up dated the internals ( dont know what they did ) but it was to little to late for me, as i was never able to get help from them, when they were a viable choice years back and today the stuff thats available they are paper weights -- jz

Quick Reply: Will these brakes easily fit on an '83 FLHS?