Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Randy1944
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Advice

I would like some advice about a bike that I am looking at. It is advertised as: 1971 Electra Glide - former original police special with stock shovelhead motor and S&S carb. Is the "police special" something that is desirable or is a bad thing in a bike this old? I would appreciate it if someone would look at the picture and comment about the bike. Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Seeking Advice-1971-electra-glide-001.jpg  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:07 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Bike in that picture is not stock there's all kinda aftermarket & later year parts on it so I'd take the " Police special " part as sellers bullshit , that was a common gimmick on the older ones because everyone thought they had a hotter motor . Get the vin numbers off the engine in front of the front lifter block and off the neck and make sure they match for one and post the first 2 and last 2 digits and we can tell you what it really is

Old 03-20-2014, 08:21 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

+ 1 on above - it as a collectable well thats over - your missing 5 or 6 thousand in the real parts -- jz

Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Randy1944
Intermediate
Default Advice

Well, it is great to get such good information. I will ask for the numbers mentioned and post them as soon as I get them. Also, since so many original parts are missing - could you list original parts that you see missing? That way I will know what to ask him about to see if he might have some or (hopefully) all of them (I doubt). This would be my first Harley and there are tons of things that should be asked before I buy it. Right now, your advice gives me the best questions I need to ask now before I buy it. Thanks again for helping a newbe.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:47 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Wheels & brakes are all aftermarket , the swingarm for the 71 was round and that one's either a 73 or later or a modified aftermarket one the shock mount is wrong . Does it have a decent seat and not the kotex I see in the picture . What's been done to the engine and who did it , oil pump has been chromed and there was certain things that had to be done to the early ones get them right or the oiling system is fubar and that's just what little I can see .

Your first harley and you have no background with them particularly older shovelheads you may want to hold off on this one and find a later year that's more intact . The early ones had their issues that need some skills to keep up with .

Old 03-20-2014, 09:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

the original bike had drum brakes front and rear so the forks are wrong so is the nacell its china chrome and the squair swing arm is wrong it should be round - the bars are wrong the throttel is inside the originals all the switches are incorrect for that year - the original oil pump is gone < that is an up date BUT - the dish rag he uses as a seat well it should have an old style pogo seat and post on the bike - the kicker and its cover are wrong - the rear fender tip is wrong the front fender side strips are wrong - your picture is not the best and you only have the one side posted -- johnjzjz

Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy1944
I would like some advice about a bike that I am looking at. It is advertised as: 1971 Electra Glide - former original police special with stock shovelhead motor and S&S carb. Is the "police special" something that is desirable or is a bad thing in a bike this old? I would appreciate it if someone would look at the picture and comment about the bike. Thanks
I think I'd pass on this one unless he's selling it crazy cheap.

If you are looking to purchase an older Harley, the best advice I can give you is to BE PATIENT. If you take your time and look around, you can find some real deals out there on a great bike!

Good luck!

LiiT

Old 03-21-2014, 08:57 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

A stock condition bike would have looked simialr to these...Bottom one I believe is a '68 lloking at the paint. Top one I believe is a 71 but it has some extra pinstripes as well s some accessories, but between the 2 you get an idea of "stock" condition and what is should be more of

As has been stated the bike you posted has been greatly modified. For a very good price (as in low) it might be a good one to run around on.

Last edited by panz4ever; 03-21-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Randy1944
Intermediate
Default Seeking Advice

Thanks for the two pictures. Boy, they sure are nice looking examples. It's starting to sound like the only good thing about the bike I'm looking at is the price. It is under $5,000, but I'm beginning to wonder if it is even worth that. I don't have any other pictures of the bike, so I'm just stuck! Thanks again for your help and I may just move on in my search. Regards

Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

i'm sure you'll hear this a lot soon - that's not cheap for that bike... fwiw I paid 3500 for my 79fx - it's not perfect but it runs good

Quick Reply: Seeking Advice