Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

2 months and stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Nevsat13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 months and stumped

Hi guys, I just had my motor rebuilt by a very reputable shop in my area and he said let's try an ultima case because my stock cases were cracked so we did..... Got the 3 5/8 bore and it already had s&s jugs and stock heads, put KB pistons and the biggest cam we could fit and also cut the jugs down I believe, anyway it should have 9 1/2 to 10:1 compression, we'll my problem is that the oil won't stop coming out the crankcase breather..... The case called for a 92 and later oil pump so we went with an s&s (which I should have done s&s cases too ) and we checked timer gear and tore the cam cover twice so far..... Ultima sent the case with a plug in the crankcase breather could the case supposed to just vent out the vent on top of the oil pump and the plug stay in? It's ashamed the bike sounds awesome and but I can fill a beer can within 20 miles of riddin does anybody have any ideas?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 2,867 Posts

call ultima tech they are always helpfull

Old 04-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Nevsat13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Except they don't seem to have a clue of any of the questions I ask them

Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

what type of breather do you have

plastic

steel and who is it S&S ultma some unknown china

- was the block new -

how did you brake in the engine - what methiod

did you install a back flow check valve into the vent line that is leaking oil ???

- you need to perform a leak down test - i believe your loss is the pistons and or the piston rings / incorrect cylinder wall clearance - old stock KB pistons are garbage and cause all kinds of motor issues --

in the end you will have to confirm the job was dont correct and the parts used are the later ones dated after jan 2013 -

Old 04-02-2014, 04:47 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

another place to check is the clearance between the flywheels and the scraper area of the cases should be .020 I think. if the clearance is to wide the oil will not scavenge correctly and not go back to the timing side / oil pump return.

a side note I thought I was being tricky when I routed the crank case vent hose to the air cleaner in my case on my 91 Evo. I pointed the elbow from the case down and ran the hose down under the crank case then up to the air cleaner.
bad plan the elbow needs to be pointed up and the hose going up to the cleaner. {when I looked close at the HD manual I saw it pointing up}
after I routed the hose up to the air cleaner the oil quit belching out at the air cleaner vent. after thinking about it I can see where some oil will go up the hose but then have the opportunity to run back down to the crankcase. when pointed down the oil was pooling in the hose causing the hose to not act as a vent until it belched out the oil.. anyway that fixed my oil mess.

another one.. I took apart a stroker engine, belching oil everywhere tore it apart to find the cases and barrels were not drilled for the top end return
let us know what you find out.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:42 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rodney
another place to check is the clearance between the flywheels and the scraper area of the cases should be .020 I think. if the clearance is to wide the oil will not scavenge correctly and not go back to the timing side / oil pump return.

a side note I thought I was being tricky when I routed the crank case vent hose to the air cleaner in my case on my 91 Evo. I pointed the elbow from the case down and ran the hose down under the crank case then up to the air cleaner.
bad plan the elbow needs to be pointed up and the hose going up to the cleaner. {when I looked close at the HD manual I saw it pointing up}
after I routed the hose up to the air cleaner the oil quit belching out at the air cleaner vent. after thinking about it I can see where some oil will go up the hose but then have the opportunity to run back down to the crankcase. when pointed down the oil was pooling in the hose causing the hose to not act as a vent until it belched out the oil.. anyway that fixed my oil mess.

another one.. I took apart a stroker engine, belching oil everywhere tore it apart to find the cases and barrels were not drilled for the top end return
let us know what you find out.
delkron engine blocks have the scraper not the ultma block - no trap door in th case bottom

Old 04-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

stock cases also use a scraper effect to direct the oil to the timing side.
I read an article not to long ago addressing this it was in an old easyriders

The 61" flywheels can be used in the 74" cases, but the 61" wheels are 1/8" smaller in diameter than the 74" wheels. If you use 61" wheels in a 74" case, you will have to build up the oil scraper, to prevent the rear cylinder from getting too much oil. Also, you will have to relieve the oil scraper clearance, if you use 74" flywheels in the 61" cases.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:27 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rodney
stock cases also use a scraper effect to direct the oil to the timing side.
I read an article not to long ago addressing this it was in an old easyriders
unless you have actually seen first hand what they are talking about it wont work to try to explain what they are really doing - the Y they are doing it in that app is correct

plus it has no benifit to a 74 chassis engine to have 61 wheels in it as they have less power and a lot less torque

i have installed many blocks over the years and have yet to hear of the mistake you referenced - its not impossable to have happen but every one casted would have that issue and it would have been on the net at some point -- jz

Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 AM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

correct me if I'm wrong since I am new to shovels but the scavenger gears are larger than the feed.....you must have a breather timing error. does the oil return to the tank? pinched return line? wrong return line????

Old 04-03-2014, 06:07 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fergerburger
correct me if I'm wrong since I am new to shovels but the scavenger gears are larger than the feed.....you must have a breather timing error. does the oil return to the tank? pinched return line? wrong return line????
he said in his first and only post they the shop he used took it apart twice at that point and still did not find what was done incorrectly -

Quick Reply: 2 months and stumped