Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

4 speed fork spacing

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 4 speed fork spacing

So I have a question about the spacing for the shift forks in neutral. I completely understand the equal spacing of the "dogs" between the gears but I do not understand why BOTH the M/S and C/S spacing is not set when the tranny is in neutral....why do I have to rotate the drum to find the straight slot for the M/S cluster...shouldn;t the spacing be set when the tranny is in neutral? I'm missing something here I know....I have built over 100 ironhead trannies and you set the M/S and C/S gaps when the tranny is in neutral....I do not understand why I'm clicking the tranny out of neutral to set the gaps on the M/S

Old 04-15-2014, 05:33 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 2,865 Posts

well i see it like this - we first set the C/S spacing and its first and second that is in the mix and its location is effected all the while in neutral

the location of the spacer for end play is on the left side right at the 1 / 2 gears and shift dog

the 3 / 4 is a little different the early and late trans is just a little different, BUT the 4th gear thrust washer is the adjustment for the end play And it also when the sprocket is tight sets the 4th gear as far to the right as it will be once its installed --

we made a tool that does not exist to help in the set up / PM me and i will give you a hand with that

now when i was a bit younger and did not own the shift fork location tool and early and late are different, we would use neutral and then lift the top off Very carefully so not to move the 2 fork locations and set the center distance from that spot --

hope that helps can go on if needed - johnjzjz

Last edited by johnjzjz; 04-15-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:17 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

Yes, that helps some....however, my service manual does seem to say to rotate the shift drum out of neutral to find the straight-groove to set the M/S spacing....my sprocket is tight, which I assume sets the thrust.....I know my 1st to 2nd C/S spacing is right on...the 3/4 M/S spacing looks tight on one side when I pull the cover off in neutral...I'll rotate the shift drum to the straight groove and try the lift off...I guess I'm still not getting why - even with the jig/tool - you have to find the straight groove and shift out of neutral....

Old 04-15-2014, 06:35 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fergerburger
Yes, that helps some....however, my service manual does seem to say to rotate the shift drum out of neutral to find the straight-groove to set the M/S spacing....my sprocket is tight, which I assume sets the thrust.....I know my 1st to 2nd C/S spacing is right on...the 3/4 M/S spacing looks tight on one side when I pull the cover off in neutral...I'll rotate the shift drum to the straight groove and try the lift off...I guess I'm still not getting why - even with the jig/tool - you have to find the straight groove and shift out of neutral....
NO the tool is set in neutral and using the 3/8 drill bit is the set in the ratchet lid ( top ) than you put it the tool on the trans and you have a neutral set up, that is in place for setting both sides -

what is it you dont get ?????

Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 AM
fergerburger
Road Master

Even the service manual shows that you set the jig by using the dowl pin set aligned into the straight groove of the shift drum. First it says to set the C/S at neutral. Then it says to rotate the drum until the straight groove appears for the M/S and now you set the jig for the M/S. I recognize that you are an expert and I appreciate your help but the pictures in the HD 70-73 manual show different and so do all the websites that show how to align the forks....see here for example

http://www.streetchopperweb.com/hard...-stc/?image=24

Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The last step to a smooth-shifting transmission is to align the top to the shifter forks. The easy way is to use a alignment tool as shown in the photo, but it can be done just using the top itself. The benefit of the tool is you can check both shift forks at the same time. Using the top you need to do one fork at a time. To use the tool we placed it on the top using the dowel pinholes. We then aligned one of the sliding guides (A) with the straight groove (B) of the left side of the shift drum using the tools alignment rod (C). When the rod rotated freely, we locked the guide with the thumb screw.

This is what you sent and the key thing in it is this - 3rd line

The benefit of the tool is you can check both shift forks at the same time

the tool directions i have not seen in 30 or more years and i have done a couple in that time, but if you can do both forks at the same time you cant be moving anything in order to do that -- no

i think you are over thinking it and i cant grasp what it is you have issue with as the tool is set in neutral - left in neutral and then both forks are checked in neutral a the same time when the tool is installed - nothing is re adjusted from neutral while its in use - the shop tool is checked each time but to my knowledge it has been in the same spot forever - the trans top was made very good in location distances so the tool stays in adjustment

now if you are using the trans top as a tool you need to only do one fork at a time BUT it is in neutral and should not be moved around while doing it - johnjzjz

Old 04-16-2014, 01:31 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

Here is what they do in the next step...they rotate the drum out of neutral

http://www.streetchopperweb.com/hard...-stc/?image=25

Here is where the tool comes in handy. To align the right side of the drum we needed to rotate it until the straight section of the groove presented itself as shown here, then, using the same rod, we locked the guide in place. Basically we have just set the tool to check both shifter forks in neutral; using the top by itself you would place the top on the case and check the alignment of one fork, then rotate the drum for the other fork.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

i see what has happened - i took out my tool and the picture of the tool you have is another design to what we have 35 maybe 40 years - and i see exactly what your seeing - so now i have lost what the issue is, but i will say this the tool you have in the picture makes you rotate the drum Because it uses an off set 3 / 4 slider to adjust the netural in a positive straight location ( than you must turn it back to neutral before using it and it does not say that - mine uses a distance block between the two to align neutral to one another -- i guess that was the question - after adjusting it you need to return it to the neutral location -- hope that was it ????? - johnjzjz

Last edited by johnjzjz; 04-16-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:48 PM
fergerburger
Road Master

Yeah...I'm starting to get it now.....however....I do not agree with the statement in that tech writeup though

"Basically we have just set the tool to check both shifter forks in neutral; using the top by itself you would place the top on the case and check the alignment of one fork, then rotate the drum for the other fork."

Why do you have to rotate the drum to check the other fork....wouldn;t rotating the drum pop it out of neutral???????

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fergerburger
Yeah...I'm starting to get it now.....however....I do not agree with the statement in that tech writeup though

"Basically we have just set the tool to check both shifter forks in neutral; using the top by itself you would place the top on the case and check the alignment of one fork, then rotate the drum for the other fork."

Why do you have to rotate the drum to check the other fork....wouldn;t rotating the drum pop it out of neutral???????
i have to admit i did not read it all just what i thought would help - the poster has it almost correct it could be a typo but then again he might only know the location of commas

i only answer questions on this site as the guys are very much hands on and from what i have seen, you dont get post count jockeys like all the others with BS answers and are quick to gang up on you when you challenge them with the stupid answers they post up about a real subject

i read it again i think he was just posting it and has never done the job himself for the mag it was in -- johnjzjz

Quick Reply: 4 speed fork spacing