Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

tranny plate and spacer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:31 AM
berndog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny plate and spacer

been awhile since I've been here,just putting my 82 fxwg back together after long hiatus,,and I forget where the spacers for the tranny went.Between tranny and mounting plate ? Between mounting plate and frame? or are they just big washers for bottom of tranny,,as there are spacers attached to mounting plate as well.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:43 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

Originally Posted by berndog
been awhile since I've been here,just putting my 82 fxwg back together after long hiatus,,and I forget where the spacers for the tranny went.Between tranny and mounting plate ? Between mounting plate and frame? or are they just big washers for bottom of tranny,,as there are spacers attached to mounting plate as well.
bottom washers for the nuts 4 of them came stock a 5th could have been added

Old 09-05-2014, 12:30 AM
berndog
Tourer

Hmmmm and what about the 2 for the front studs mounting to the inner primary? Any idea on thickness ,seems I forgot to [put them there last install,broke 2 belts,,starting to suspect that is the culprit.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

There are four studs for the tranny-to-inner primary. Each has a washer that goes under the locknut. The addition, or lack of is not going to cause the belt to crap out. Those washers are just about the thickness of the recessed area around the stud holes.

A broken belt is generally due to misalignment problems or running a belt too tight.

When you put the inner primary on, snug up the bolts to the engine first and then the nuts to the inner primary (keeping the bottom bolts to tranny plate loose). At that point your tranny is in alignment with the motor which should mean the motor sprocket and tranny sprocket should be aligned. After that is done you then tighten the five bolts to the tranny plate.

Last edited by panz4ever; 09-05-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:27 PM
dennisaa
Advanced

I leave the tranny bolts loose and shim the engine to fit.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,220 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisaa
I leave the tranny bolts loose and shim the engine to fit.
Not sure what you mean but the proper procedure is to tighten the rear engine to frame bolts, measure front mount s and see if you need shims. After that tighten the four engine to frame bolts.

Next is to mount the inner primary and tighten the bolts that secure the inner primary tio the engine.

With the tranny in place you can intsall the locknuts that secure the inner primary to the tranny. A carfeul person will then check for clearance/shims required on the tranny to tranny plate (plus the 5th nut to frame).

Most times it is not required, but an old tranny case (worn out) or old frame may necessitate shims.

Sorry but correct inner primary and tranny alignment runs off the engine being mounted, shimmed and torqued correctly.

Last edited by panz4ever; 09-06-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:16 PM
dennisaa
Advanced

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Not sure what you mean but the proper procedure is to tighten the rear engine to frame bolts, measure front mount s and see if you need shims. After that tighten the four engine to frame bolts.

Next is to mount the inner primary and tighten the bolts that secure the inner primary tio the engine.

With the tranny in place you can intsall the locknuts that secure the inner primary to the tranny. A carfeul person will then check for clearance/shims required on the tranny to tranny plate (plus the 5th nut to frame).

Most times it is not required, but an old tranny case (worn out) or old frame may necessitate shims.

Sorry but correct inner primary and tranny alignment runs off the engine being mounted, shimmed and torqued correctly.
Isn't that what I said?